Diesel Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel Choices

OK, I know there are alot of Truck threads but was wondering if any mechanics on here who might have insightn for me. I am looking to maybe- just maybe by my first big boy truck for pulling my trailer. I am scared to death to get that 10k mech bill for Emissions etc that they seem to all get. Wondering which years of each brand to stay away from.

Me personally I like the 2016 and up Rams with Mega cab or crew cab with at least 6.5 bed. All my buddies have fords so dont really want to copy, but they are good trucks. But I hear most of the high dollar bills from them and they are all ford issues. The GMC Denali 2500 hd is nice but dont pull ****. Plus Chevy interior always seems less sturdy and not made of the same higher quality materials as the other 2.

I am also not affraid to get a gas motor either on a 3/4 ton. I currently drive at Nissan Titan XD pro4x which is a 5/8 ton. bigger than a half ton but a hair smaller than a 3/4 ton. It pulls the gooseneck decent and has plenty of power, just tired of messing with small issues on it that add up.

IMO they are so close together these days with power, features, technology, capacities etc you can't make a bad choice. Get whichever you think is the coolest or can get the best deal on. They all have the same risk for the fuel pump issues and emissions. Ford and Chevy have the exact same 10 speed transmission on the newer trucks so don't let some one sell you on the Allison transmission.

Comment

i have 18 F250-f450 6.7 Powerstrokes. Very few if any problems with them. Also have 5 Duramax trucks all deleted. We only buy Fords now. Bought some f250 gassers, they get horrible fuel milage and all have o2 and cat problems.

Comment

Originally posted by freestylest22 View Post
        i have 18 F250-f450 6.7 Powerstrokes. Very few if any problems with them. Also have 5 Duramax trucks all deleted. We only buy Fords now. Bought some f250 gassers, they get horrible fuel milage and all have o2 and cat problems.
        You tried the 7.3 gas engine yet? Always like to hear peoples opinion that has had as many diesels as you.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
          You tried the 7.3 gas engine yet? Always like to hear peoples opinion that has had as many diesels as you.
          If I was going to buy a super duty, that is the one I would buy.
          If I was going to buy a 1/2 ton, a Toyota Tundra would be top of my list.
          Diesel engines just aren’t worth it anymore. They all have the crappy cp4?pump that is going to explode.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
            Diesel engines just aren’t worth it anymore. They all have the crappy cp4?pump that is going to explode.
            Best truck I ever owned was a tundra crew max. But changed when I needed to pull a goose neck 3-4 times a week

Comment

Your going to get a lot of mechanics. Lol

Comment

I love my 16 2500 megacab
                Only thing I’d have done differently was get 3500 with Aisin transmission.
                I’ve already been through one 68RFE but I tow heavy and often.
                I’m convinced thermostatic bypass failed and the rising temps of trans smoked it
                Keep on eye on trans temp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Only one still running CP4 fuel pumps now is PowerStrokes. Duramax and Ram dumped them this year, thankfully!

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post

Comment

I know a couple guys that switched from Ford to Dodge. It wasn’t too long and each of them switched back to Ford. When I was shopping I only considered Ford and GMC. Been very happy with my 2017 F-250.

Comment

We have a 2018 ram 2500 and i pull my 40ft 5th wheel with it and the trans temp never gets over 170. It weighs 12,000 lbs

Comment

Think they are all pretty decent but for sure the Ram has the most comfort especially for a big man

Comment

I asked the guys at my local diesel shop the same question. They all said 6.7 Cummins 2014 or newer. My family has driven Ford diesels for 30 years. We have all switched to Ram in the last 3 years. Just feel like you get more for your money with Ram HD trucks. I won’t drive another Ford.

Comment

Anybody pull a 5th wheel TT with the Ram 2500 6.4 gas hemi?

Comment

I have a 2015 mega 2500 that I'll be selling in the next month. Yes, I had issues with DEF this past fall but truck has a brand new turbo, def tank has been burned clean, and a new def line. I wanted to keep it stock because I knew I'd be getting rid of it soon. New owner will have the choice of driving it stock for at least 100k miles or deleting it day 1.

I'm switching over to the Blue side. Want to try out that new 10 speed transmission.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X