Picked up my Canon R5 a couple of days ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up my Canon R5 a couple of days ago

Haven’t gotten to shoot it much yet but so far I’m in love!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Big Cat; 01-20-2022, 12:55 PM.

R5? Is it a dog, gun or camera?

Comment

No idea what an R5 was.

Thought you were gonna shoot that do at first.

Guessing its a camera?

Comment

You would be correct. It’s a new Canon camera. Sorry for the confusion

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't made the transition to mirrorless yet. If I didn't have so many lenses for my 6D and 7D, I'd definitely get a mirrorless camera. I'm sure I will before long anyway. Did you shoot DSLRs previously? If so, are you happy with the switch?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            I haven't made the transition to mirrorless yet. If I didn't have so many lenses for my 6D and 7D, I'd definitely get a mirrorless camera. I'm sure I will before long anyway. Did you shoot DSLRs previously? If so, are you happy with the switch?
            I have had a 70D for years. I bought 2 RF lens’s but kept my Eaf70-200 2.8 is iii lens and my 150-600 sigma contemporary lens. The pic of my lab is with the RF 24-105 lens I bought and the fallow is with my EF 70-200. I posted them with tap-a-talk and they always seem to lose some sharpness when I post them but I’m super happy with how sharp it is with both type lens’s. Very happy with the move to mirrorless.

Comment

After 40+ years shooting Nikon I switched to Can and the R5 back in November. I had talked to Casey a lot about it and going to mirrorless.
              I am very impressed with this camera. I got the RF 24-105 and RF 100-500 lenses.
              I have spent a lot of time since November learning a new ecosystem and think now I have all my settings at the right place for what I do the most of, wildlife and landscape. I set up the three custom settings for wildlife, landscape and portrait so basically whatever I am shooting, I can quickly go to C1, C2 or C3 and all my settings are already in place.
              I would definitely recommend getting your 3 backbutton focus options set up, it is a game changer, especially with eye focus tracking. I have all three of my buttons set up differently and it works fantastic.
              Coming from Nikon, it has been a little bit of a learning curve getting used to where all the different dials and buttons are but at the end of the day it has been pretty simple.
              I have not even gotten I to the video side yet but will jump into that in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                After 40+ years shooting Nikon I switched to Can and the R5 back in November. I had talked to Casey a lot about it and going to mirrorless.
                I am very impressed with this camera. I got the RF 24-105 and RF 100-500 lenses.
                I have spent a lot of time since November learning a new ecosystem and think now I have all my settings at the right place for what I do the most of, wildlife and landscape. I set up the three custom settings for wildlife, landscape and portrait so basically whatever I am shooting, I can quickly go to C1, C2 or C3 and all my settings are already in place.
                I would definitely recommend getting your 3 backbutton focus options set up, it is a game changer, especially with eye focus tracking. I have all three of my buttons set up differently and it works fantastic.
                Coming from Nikon, it has been a little bit of a learning curve getting used to where all the different dials and buttons are but at the end of the day it has been pretty simple.
                I have not even gotten I to the video side yet but will jump into that in the near future.

Absolutely! I have 2 of the 3 back buttons changed already. Curious what you did with the third as well as the C1, C2 and C3 modes. Trying to figure out what I want to program them to.

Comment

Could I use my 600 f4 IS with one of those ?

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
                    Could I use my 600 f4 IS with one of those ?
                    You sure can!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Cat View Post
                      Absolutely! I have 2 of the 3 back buttons changed already. Curious what you did with the third as well as the C1, C2 and C3 modes. Trying to figure out what I want to program them to.
                      I would be happy to walk through it with you but it would probably be easier to go over it on the phone where we could each have our camera in front of us as there are a lot of settings. If you are open to that, PM me your number and I can give you a call over the next couple of days or so.
                      I have spent a lot of time over the past couple of months watching YouTube videos on guys that are shooting the R5 for wildlife and birds. That has really helped me a lot in making the switch from Nikon to Canon a lot more seamless.

Comment

I got an R6 last month and it’s the best camera I’ve ever owned. Mirrorless is a total game changer. I got the rf 70-200 2.8L and 100-500 f4L. Still using the ef 24-105 f4L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                          I got an R6 last month and it’s the best camera I’ve ever owned. Mirrorless is a total game changer. I got the rf 70-200 2.8L and 100-500 f4L. Still using the ef 24-105 f4L.

Same here it’s super quiet

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post

I would agree with you, Sika. I came to the R5 from a Nikon D700. Simply no comparison.

Comment

Ya'll are making me want to ditch my EOS R and get an R5... lol

Comment

Working...
                              X