Home Generator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Generator?

Well the wife wants me to start looking for a home generator since we where without power for 16hrs after a tornado hit our neighborhood last week. I know some of you have them, so my question would be what brand did you get and what wattage did you go with? I’m on the list for a free quote, but was just wondering what size is best. I have a 4,000 square foot house with two 4 ton ac units and I also have 2 refrigerators and 2 freezers plus a pool. The hot water heaters are gas, but everything else is electric. Just trying to get some info and see what some of you went with thanks.

If whole home with auto switchover most I know that have them go with Generac
    If portable, I’m thinking going with Champion. I’ve calculated what I need on load based on the pre-wired circuits that I will run
    Good luck

Comment

We have a 22k generac on an approximately 3100 sq ft home. No pool and just one ac unit. If it matters all our lighting is led.
      Last edited by tps7742; 01-16-2022, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Do you need all the amenities you have? Or just survive the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
          Do you need all the amenities you have? Or just survive the moment?
          Would like the whole house, but not needed if the price difference is way off.

Comment

22K Kohler on 3500 sq ft

You will need a bit more...

Comment

Last I checked there was a long wait for getting a whole home generator installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What fuel source do you want to use?
                If you have NG, a 22kw will be reduced to a 19.5kw unit.
                Propane units will burn about 3.5gln per hour.. full load.

Call your utility provider.. ask them for your max kw usage.. and when was it..
                Buying an oversize unit wastes fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
                  What fuel source do you want to use?
                  If you have NG, a 22kw will be reduced to a 19.5kw unit.
                  Propane units will burn about 3.5gln per hour.. full load.

Call your utility provider.. ask them for your max kw usage.. and when was it..
                  Buying an oversize unit wastes fuel.
                  It’s NG thanks for that info.

Comment

Here's a used option for you, maybe more generator than what you are looking for but a good portable option, I have 2 available for sale:

Comment

I ordered mine from https://www.nationwidegenerators.com at the end of 2020 and did the physical installation myself. I paid an electrician to do the electrical connections and commissioning. We got it installed one week prior to the freeze and it performed flawlessly for us, only ran a total of 6 hours combined on 2 occasions.

I saved over $2,500 off a total quoted turn key price doing a bit myself.

If nothing else, looking around will give you an idea of the profit in some turn key quotes.

Tim

Comment

My neighbor put his order in to Generac last March for a 24kw and after I helped him pour the pad for the generator and he had the gas service upside the service there is still no generator. I guess that is why Generac stock has gone to he'll. Definitely made in China even if they claim assembled in USA.

Comment

Generac hooked up to city gas or separate a 250 gallon propane tank

This diesel is good stuff to https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ight=generator
                          When I ran a large duck and fishing resort we used diesel as a backup, just keep the fuel tank clean and have extra fuel handi
                          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 01-16-2022, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I bought a 40kw Cummins and I’m all electric

3600sqft+ my barn has two 2 ton a/c units, I’d go a little bigger than you need

Comment

General has a calculator on their website for the size. Supply chain issues have delayed all of the equipment.

Comment

Working...
                              X