No announcement yet.

Live from James Daughtrey WMA Jan 4-7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little indecision once I got in here this afternoon but I’m finally settled into a spot and did learn a few things.

First I learned that dragging a sled with bags of corn through deep grass is tougher than I had hoped. I had to drop a bag and my bog pog to cut weight on the way in. And then I got tired of dragging the sled around without really knowing where I was going with it so i dropped it and made my way to a draw I wanted to check out.

I found a spot I was planning on setting up this evening along the draw with some water in it. So left my pack and walked back to get my sled with corn and a half blind in it. When I was almost back to my sled I jumped a small buck and what looked like a good size buck. I didn’t get a great look but decided it was getting late in the day so I would set up where I had seen the good buck.

Spot I’m in has a bunch of trails crossing it and I dumped a bag of corn out in the spots that I could shoot to and were not thick grass but had some bare ground.

Felt a bit like amateur hour here for a bit but I’m settled and going to see what happens. I did set up a camera on the first spot so I can check it after tomorrow mornings hunt.

Here is a pic of where I am now

And this was the spot I have a camera on that I was going to set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

OnX pic for reference

Group of javelinas just walked within 10 yards of me and are now on my corn I’m pretty sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
        Little indecision once I got in here this afternoon but I’m finally settled into a spot and did learn a few things.

First I learned that dragging a sled with bags of corn through deep grass is tougher than I had hoped. I had to drop a bag and my bog pog to cut weight on the way in. And then I got tired of dragging the sled around without really knowing where I was going with it so i dropped it and made my way to a draw I wanted to check out.

I found a spot I was planning on setting up this evening along the draw with some water in it. So left my pack and walked back to get my sled with corn and a half blind in it. When I was almost back to my sled I jumped a small buck and what looked like a good size buck. I didn’t get a great look but decided it was getting late in the day so I would set up where I had seen the good buck.

Spot I’m in has a bunch of trails crossing it and I dumped a bag of corn out in the spots that I could shoot to and were not thick grass but had some bare ground.

Felt a bit like amateur hour here for a bit but I’m settled and going to see what happens. I did set up a camera on the first spot so I can check it after tomorrow mornings hunt.

Here is a pic of where I am now

And this was the spot I have a camera on that I was going to set up

Following along! Any updates?

Comment

Good luck! I’ve been putting in for a hunt there for years, maybe one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Two does just showed up and are on my corn
            Last edited by Rounder; 01-04-2022, 05:48 PM.

Comment

It was good to meet you out there. Nice looking spots, good luck man!

Comment

One more doe came in late tonight but no bucks. Hopefully tomorrow’s live hunt has more excitement than some javis and a few does

Right now my game plan is to hunt the water tomorrow morning, grab my camera and then really do some walking mid day. Try to find some open areas and rattle a little and see what happens and then game plan on where to sit tomorrow evening.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Best of luck to you man! Thanks for taking us along!

Comment

Good luck!…love these threads…

Comment

Following. Kill a big one Punk!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats brokeno on the standby!

Comment

At the draw water hole this morning. Not much wind and foggy.

Comment

Good luck this morning gents!

Comment

Super foggy where I’m at this morning. It’s lifted a little but could only see 30-40 yards for a bit earlier this morning.

Comment

Working...
                                X