• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease expectations

Am I expecting to much? Throckmorton county

Lease cost-4k with electric
    Protien and corn cost-$1500
    8 members on 2500 acres part of 19k acres all managed the same going on 7 years.

Haven't seen or had on camera anything over 130" and 1 buck over 8 points. Also they changed the rules after we agreed on what to shoot. I can understand not shooting any trophies because really there are only a known hand full of deer that have more than 8 points. I would be okay with shooting culls for a few years but they tied our hands and only let us shoot 1 each. Also only 1 doe each. So 8 bucks and 8 doe for our pasture. Half the members don't hunt or don't shoot anything so in my mind we are doing no management and it's not going to get any better. On a side note in 2 years the lease contract will be up so there is a expected increase in cost per acre and they are wanting to go down on number of members. So I guess my real question is am I willing to spend 6k or more a year to manage a lease that we have our hands so tied on what we can do? That's a question only I can answer but I'm having a hard time making that decision.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Yeah that sounds way too high for no real quality. I would expect some very good quality deer for 4K plus feed every single year.

Comment

A couple of things. In 7 years you should be seeing some real trophy animals. Sounds like the protein is there and the age is there so that only leaves genetics. Sometimes things ARE what they seem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
        A couple of things. In 7 years you should be seeing some real trophy animals. Sounds like the protein is there and the age is there so that only leaves genetics. Sometimes things ARE what they seem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        To add to this we are on the south end of the ranch. The northern pastures do definitely have the genetics as camera photos and deer on the hoof seen are major differences in our deer. I have no explanations for this. Probably less than 10 miles difference and they do have the "trophies"

Comment

Sounds like the beginning of a lease tale that ends with yall all getting booted as soon as the deer quality improves. Thanks for all the feed and patience guys!!!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
            Sounds like the beginning of a lease tale that ends with yall all getting booted as soon as the deer quality improves. Thanks for all the feed and patience guys!!!!

This Unfortunately!

Comment

Is the ranch making the decisions or lease manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                Is the ranch making the decisions or lease manager.
                The ranch. Lease manager has no real say in anything we have zero say.

Comment

Your ranch is building their herd at your expense.

Comment

if this is part of the spade i think thats what you will get, know couple guys who had same experience as you and moved on, theres a reason that ranch has turn over year in year out. good leases hardly have turnover

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post

I was thinking the same thing. Over priced .

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                        Your ranch is building their herd at your expense.
                        What he said. For 6k a year I’d expect to have a shot at 150+ every year, with an occasional 160+ mixed in.

Comment

Yes that is way to much, what you described is pretty normal when I hunted that area. There were some exceptions but not many.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
                            What he said. For 6k a year I’d expect to have a shot at 150+ every year, with an occasional 160+ mixed in.
                            might be wrong but i think this is alot hard said than done. not many places that this can be had. point me to one if i am wrong please, look daily

Comment

5k to shoot a 130 is pretty steep

Comment

Working...
                              X