James Daughtrey management 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James Daughtrey management 2021

Finally was drawn for our first deer permit at James Daughtrey WMA for the management hunt on 12/14-12/16. I’ve done a little bit of searching and it seems like mainly a doe hunt with a slim chance at a 7pt or less and 12” wide? Just looking for an idea of what to expect, we’re excited either way. Any tips or info y’all can share would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunted the management hunt last year. We killed our doe, saw some nice bucks, but nothing that met management requirements.

Comment

If you need a place to stay pm me I might have something for you

Comment

We drew that hunt last year. We picked compartment #4 I believe. It’s the one right behind the campground at the check in station. Brother and nephew both shot a doe. I somehow missed mine. I did see a good management buck on the last day but before I could get into position, I got winded and he was gone.

Comment

I hunted the management hunt two years ago (it was actually at South Shore State Park but under the Daughtrey hunt). Shot my doe, saw a nice buck, passed on a spike as I was holding out for a 140" 7 pt. LOL

Comment

My daughter got a youth management hunt there a few years back. Depending on your unit they will have some box blinds, but the deer we saw (especially the bucks) seemed to be avoiding hothouse blinds. I brought my pop up so we were able to be mobile and move in closer to where we saw deer.

Good luck!

Comment

Did the mgmt hunt there about 5 years ago. Back then it was buck only. My buddy shot a 6.5 yr old 5-point which was a perfect mgmt deer. No brow tines but pretty heavy and fairly wide.

We had another quality 6 point on camera (at night) but he never showed during the day. There are some mgmt bucks there but I wouldn't hold out for one. Take your doe and any mgmt buck is an extra. Put out corn and deer will show up. Good luck.

Comment

Do they still let you pick pastures? Or do they pick for you?

My Daughter was drawn for the youth management hunt

Comment

Originally posted by STXBOWHUNTER73 View Post

Our youth hunt they did a drawing for numbers and we picked based on that order (or it was tpwd draw order-I forget which). That was a few years back so it may have changed

Comment

My dad and I hunted it last year and had a great hunt. Covered in deer with a few very close to management status but likely narrow and truly 2-3 year Olds.

My dad missed a large mature 6. We killed our does a few hogs, one yote and had a cool encounter with a Bob cat.

One of my favorite places. Been to the Daughtry and the Chap twice on management hunts through the years. Both fun in thier on ways.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Army of Dad View Post
                      Our youth hunt they did a drawing for numbers and we picked based on that order (or it was tpwd draw order-I forget which). That was a few years back so it may have changed

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I’m planning on doing a live update if I have service out there.

Sounds like we should try for a compartment that backs up to water, is there anything else to look for as far as compartments?

Comment

Originally posted by trainwreck203 View Post
                          Thanks for the replies! I’m planning on doing a live update if I have service out there.

Sounds like we should try for a compartment that backs up to water, is there anything else to look for as far as compartments?

Eh, water can be a blessing and a curse. We had duck hunters in our compartment that were almost certainly too far from the shoreline. That may explain why my hunting partner and his daughter saw nothing that day…

Comment

Originally posted by STXBOWHUNTER73 View Post

Was there last year and they let us pick. We had a plan A, B, and C just in case somebody else picked A or B. We lucked out and got the first choice we wanted.

Comment

Tons of does there. We’ve been picked for a youth only hunt again this year. Was there 2 years ago along the creek and had shots every sit. There are big deer there. This dude waltzed out and grazed for an hour. He had to have known it was a doe only hunt!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X