Tire TPMS question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire TPMS question

Wife's got a 2011 Volvo and the TPMS System warning light came on a while back. She just got new tires at Discount about 3 months ago. Had them check the sensors this morning when they were rotating/balancing the tires. They called back and said at least one sensor is out and that they recommended replacing all 4 at $60 a piece since the batteries "only last about 3 years". I said that it was weird how we never had an issue until the new tires were put on 3 months ago.

Anyway, I'm not paying $240 so her TPMS warning light will go off. Any other cheaper options to repair or clear the warning light. Thanks.

In the ‘for what it’s worth’ category, I have purchased knockoff versions on eBay several time s over at $40 for the set and end up with the same frustration. No way to clear the warning without recoding computer with program for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      Wife's got a 2011 Volvo and the TPMS System warning light came on a while back. She just got new tires at Discount about 3 months ago. Had them check the sensors this morning when they were rotating/balancing the tires. They called back and said at least one sensor is out and that they recommended replacing all 4 at $60 a piece since the batteries "only last about 3 years". I said that it was weird how we never had an issue until the new tires were put on 3 months ago.

Anyway, I'm not paying $240 so her TPMS warning light will go off. Any other cheaper options to repair or clear the warning light. Thanks.
      There should be a remote you can buy to try to "reconnect" the sensor. Or you can buy new ones off ebay that are already programmed to her car for around $30-40 total probably.

We put new wheels on Lindsey's car and had to put new sensors in. They are very easy to install, but I did it before the tires were mounted. I assume it would be the same for a volvo.

Comment

Comment

Anything computer related I would let slide right now, my truck has been stuck in a service bay for a month, just saying

Comment

After a while she won’t even notice the light. My truck and my Jeep both have the light on. $250 for a light to go away ain’t worth it. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
              After a while she won’t even notice the light. My truck and my Jeep both have the light on. $250 for a light to go away ain’t worth it. Lol
              I kind of agree. I have been running my truck without the sensors for a couple years and am used to the light being on. The problem I see is if I am driving down the highway and get a puncture. I won't know until the tire goes flat and I feel the vibration.

Those sensors are there for a reason and if I wasn't so cheap I would have new ones put in so i would know what is going on with my tires so they don't get me in a bind somewhere.

Comment

I found four on eBay for like 60 bucks. wondering how much one of those small tire shops would charge to install
                Last edited by Chew; 08-17-2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Mine's been on for 6 years. You kind of quit noticing after a while lol.

Comment

Let them do it. They warranty them forever................

Comment

Wife's car and she wants to trade it in. Just can't afford a new one (or find one).

If it was mine I wouldn't care

Comment

$60 is not a bad price for one. Just change the bad one. Should have a longer service life than 3 years.

Comment

Just change the bad one. I recently had to do one in my truck. The dealership quoted me $150 to change it. Discount was $80 with labor and sensor.

2 of my vehicles are over 10 years old and this is the first I have had to change in either one.

Comment

My truck has them and it’s a 2008. Never had to replace the batteries yet

Comment

Discount Tire should have rebuilt the sensors when you bought new tires. Hold them accountable and tell them install your new ones for free..

Comment

Working...
                              X