Killing Bobcats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killing Bobcats

So far this season I have taken 2 and missed 1. Posted online and both times bashed by a couple friends/non hunters in person who seen the post. Yes they are beautiful creatures but they not only hurt quail, turkey, squirrel, rabbits but also deer. This cat here is a big cat (I did not shoot it). I took one Saturday this size and ended up missing another from the same setup Sunday. No different than coyotes they are powerful predators and fast! I prefer to see deer roaming my place over anything and any opportunity I get to take a shot at a bobcat I will!

Back in October I had deer blowing upwind of me. I knew they weren't blowing at me but figured maybe they had seen my truck and alerted every other deer around. Not 5 minutes later squirrels starting barking and I decided to look behind me. Sure enough here come a Bobcat sneaking up. Every move I made it became more curious. Fortunately I was able to get an arrow through it at 15yds. Was it after a deer before no telling but I know I don't have to worry about it. I'm covered with cats at my place and still know of 3 throughout the property. May be time to set a few traps as well.

Do you shoot cats every chance or pass?
    Attached Files

man I would like to see that video

Comment

I will never pass a shot on a bobcat

Comment

Originally posted by TXBowhunter11 View Post
        I will never pass a shot on a bobcat
        Don't pass on yotes or cats

Comment

Originally posted by mfarmer View Post
          man I would like to see that video
          Me too! 903 outdoors posted asking to see it. Hope he post it.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
            Don't pass on yotes or cats
            & hogs!

Comment

Plano has bobcats. Come over Jason and our neighbors won't hate one bit. Good harvest

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                So far this season I have taken 2 and missed 1. Posted online and both times bashed by a couple friends/non hunters in person who seen the post. Yes they are beautiful creatures but they not only hurt quail, turkey, squirrel, rabbits but also deer. This cat here is a big cat (I did not shoot it). I took one Saturday this size and ended up missing another from the same setup Sunday. No different than coyotes they are powerful predators and fast! I prefer to see deer roaming my place over anything and any opportunity I get to take a shot at a bobcat I will!

Back in October I had deer blowing upwind of me. I knew they weren't blowing at me but figured maybe they had seen my truck and alerted every other deer around. Not 5 minutes later squirrels starting barking and I decided to look behind me. Sure enough here come a Bobcat sneaking up. Every move I made it became more curious. Fortunately I was able to get an arrow through it at 15yds. Was it after a deer before no telling but I know I don't have to worry about it. I'm covered with cats at my place and still know of 3 throughout the property. May be time to set a few traps as well.

Do you shoot cats every chance or pass?

I was hunting in Irion County several years ago and watched a bobcat run down the hill and jump on the back of a small doe that wasn't fast enough to get away. She dropped her butt to the ground and swung that cat off. The cat rolled, sat up, and I whacked him with my 7 mag. Made a beautiful rug.

Comment

I shot one bob cat to get mounted but didn't know I had to get it frozen pretty quick and the taxi couldn't do it. I will shoot one more to mount then i will give bob cats a pass.. I don't really care to shoot them other than for a mount but doesn't bug me when people do..

Comment

I won't shoot them, but have no problem with people who do. Just a personal preference.

Sounds like you need some new friends OP.

Comment

I don't shoot them but I don't have many (saw one in 7 yrs of hunting my place) so I don't have to worry about them much.

If I had a bunch, I would thin them.
                      Last edited by TXHUNT3R; 11-07-2017, 09:48 AM.

Comment

choot em every time

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                          I shot one bob cat to get mounted but didn't know I had to get it frozen pretty quick and the taxi couldn't do it. I will shoot one more to mount then i will give bob cats a pass.. I don't really care to shoot them other than for a mount but doesn't bug me when people do..
                          All I have killed have been tanned. I have 2 in the freezer now and only 1 has minimal damage for a full body. Luckily it's my biggest cat. The one I missed Sunday was same size and very similar to the one pictured above color and size wise. If I can get him down before the other heads to the taxi I just might be out $2k and have them both done in the same scene. Crazy what they cost but a good cat taxi isn't cheap! After that tanning is all I will do.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                            I won't shoot them, but have no problem with people who do. Just a personal preference.

Sounds like you need some new friends OP.
                            LOL... They are actually good people. Don't care about me killing deer as we eat them. Even they eat deer. They just don't see the point of killing cats, coyotes or foxes.

Comment

Any enemy of turkeys and deer are an enemy to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X