No announcement yet.

Firewood - What do people use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post oak is readily available here where we live so that’s mainly what we use. I think the best firewood tho is a water oak, definitely the most dense. They seem to always hold some moisture deep and makes for a good hot burn.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      For those who BBQ do you use actual split post oak? Like 12-14" logs split down to 3-4" diameter pieces?

And for cooking steaks same size but mesquite?

For heating homes do you use other wood like elm? I've been sawing big elm (I think they're elm) trees that died years ago so they were seasoned standing. Just wondering if anyone else uses elm also.

Been putting my splitter to work May try to sell a few truckloads of firewood for whatever people want it for. Right now we just sell to campers in the park. I just bundle any wood for campfires (except cedar).
      Odd question from a guy that sells firewood. Hi Tim...

Comment

Red oak works good for both cooking and fireplace. Although if I have some pecan I’ll use it to cook over red oak.

Comment

Oak for fireplace.
          Hickory for BBQ.

Comment

I cut and split red oak here at the house. Tractor supply parking lot when a blue northern blows in is a gold mine. I sold 4 truck loads in 4 hours when that last one blew through.

Comment

Elm aint worth a **** to burn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

have always used maybe 90% of some kind of oak.
                otherwise pecan, blackjack oak, some elm all burns well.

Hackberry will burn but not very well, seems to be oily, in a way.
                Elm burns fine if its very dry and you can get it split, but makes a lot of ash.

Stay away from pine and cedar.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                  What kind if elm?

We have cedar elm here and when we built our house I saved the trunks of the trees we took down and split it and use dit for firewood. It pops like crazy, better have a grate that covers the entire opening of your fireplace. We had one ember pop out and went about 10’-12’ across the living room and burned a nice size hole in the rug.

Now I burn pecan in the fireplace and my smoker because that’s the predominant wood in our area.

For grilling, I use the HEB lump mesquite charcoal.
                  Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                  Odd question from a guy that sells firewood. Hi Tim...
                  LOL I sell to campers. You know mainly city folk that never visit the woods and want to have a camp fire. I bet they'd buy cedar just the same

I wouldn't think people cared what wood they use for a camp fire.. But for cooking and in a fireplace figured it may be different. The elm I use doesn't pop at all but it's probably seasoned 3 years or more. I'm guessing it's elm. It's large trees and not hackberry or oak.

You drove through them going back to the windmill. Think back and tell me what kind of tree they are. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                    LOL I sell to campers. You know mainly city folk that never visit the woods and want to have a camp fire. I bet they'd buy cedar just the same

I wouldn't think people cared what wood they use for a camp fire.. But for cooking and in a fireplace figured it may be different. The elm I use doesn't pop at all but it's probably seasoned 3 years or more. I'm guessing it's elm. It's large trees and not hackberry or oak.

You drove through them going back to the windmill. Think back and tell me what kind of tree they are. LOL
                    IMO I see zero problem with cedar in a camp fire or fire pit/ ring
                    If no cooking is being done,

Comment

Firewood -- whatever oak I have available at the house

BBQ -- oak, pecan or I may buy mesquite or fruit wood (apple or cherry)

Everything else goes in a ditch or on the burn piles

Comment

Mesquite for just about everything

Comment

I heat my house with wood for 7 months out of the year. I don't care what I burn - if it fits in the fireplace, I burn it. Being a logger who sells firewood, I usually sell the good stuff and burn crappy stuff.

The smooth operators here who sell bundled campfire wood sell very dry softwood such as pine and tamarack. It burns 3 times as fast as hardwood, therefore they sell 3 times as much!

Comment

Oak in the fire pit to burn (plentiful around here). For the grill its mesquite only. For the smoker it a combo of mesquite and pecan. If at some point during the smoke I wrap meat then I switch to oak to save the pecan and mesquite. I smoke a lot and have really honed in on the mixture as I like it the best. Not for some but people that don't know what I use love the cooking.....

Comment

Working...
                            X