Internet/Wifi Gurus??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NelsonV View Post
    Run a point-to-point link from your house to your shop. AP side of the PTP plugs directly into your router's Lan port. The other side of the PTP will run into the shop to its own router.
    Essentially what the mesh will do under the right circumstances, without having to config radios.
    While it is quite simple, if you have never messed with it, most find it complicated.
    2 Ubiquiti locos and your in business, and you can connect anytime from anywhere on the property if need be.(relative to terrain, trees, etc..)
    We have a member I put up a 2.4 AP for, and he has a radio he keeps ziptied to his sxs, with a small router hooked up.
    From anywhere on his property he can just park his sxs with the radio facing his tower, and he has wi-fi.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      Essentially what the mesh will do under the right circumstances, without having to config radios.
      While it is quite simple, if you have never messed with it, most find it complicated.
      2 Ubiquiti locos and your in business, and you can connect anytime from anywhere on the property if need be.(relative to terrain, trees, etc..)
      We have a member I put up a 2.4 AP for, and he has a radio he keeps ziptied to his sxs, with a small router hooked up.
      From anywhere on his property he can just park his sxs with the radio facing his tower, and he has wi-fi.
      For this system, would the Loco's need to point directly at each other?

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Spies View Post
        For this system, would the Loco's need to point directly at each other?
        If both are outside with line of sight, no.
        You could probably point them both in opposite directions and they would work with only a 100ft seperation.
        If neither building has a metal skin, both can be mounted inside more than likely, but they would need to point at each other.
        If you throw a switch in the attic, you can definetley mount the one at the house in the attic and just point it toward the trophy room
        Turn off eirp control, and just crank the power up .
        Make sure neither is on a frequency that overlaps with your router or you will have issues.

Comment

Really depends on what you want to do.
          Surf the web, watch YouTube, etc..
          The Deco M5 should be fine, I would probably go with the x20.
          I have over 300 Deco systems deployed, and rarely have issues with any of them.
          Large areas, dozens of devices, dedicated bandwidth allocation etc..is when you want the 60s & 90s.

Hardwire is always worth it.
          Run a couple extras as well.
          So I have the Lincsys Home mesh. My house is about 4500sf and I have 3. I think I need 2 more in my house. My internet is in the master closet which is up stairs and in the middle the west side of the house. The problem I am having it getting wifi to my mancave that is in the back of the house over the garage. My wifi falls off sometime. Will 2 more get me going any better?

Comment

Mad
            Are all of the new consumer routers sophisticated enough to plug and play multiple hardwired routers. I mean without disabling DHCP in the slave routers or setting up DHCP relay for the wireless clients off of the new router. Out of the box it seems they would both want to provide DHCP services and without reconfiguration they might want to provide addresses from overlapping pools. It would be easy to work around these issues for a pro but.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
              So I have the Lincsys Home mesh. My house is about 4500sf and I have 3. I think I need 2 more in my house. My internet is in the master closet which is up stairs and in the middle the west side of the house. The problem I am having it getting wifi to my mancave that is in the back of the house over the garage. My wifi falls off sometime. Will 2 more get me going any better?
              I would think so as long as you stage them so that they keep a strong signal between the previous one.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post
                Mad
                Are all of the new consumer routers sophisticated enough to plug and play multiple hardwired routers. I mean without disabling DHCP in the slave routers or setting up DHCP relay for the wireless clients off of the new router. Out of the box it seems they would both want to provide DHCP services and without reconfiguration they might want to provide addresses from overlapping pools. It would be easy to work around these issues for a pro but.
                No they are not, we have to configure them for applications like you mentioned, seperate frequencies, etc..
                Rarely do we piggy back routers though.

Comment

I’m in this latter group. Can you give me a Mesh for Dummies list with instructions?

I would like WiFi in my metal shop and in my Coach parked next to the shop.

My router is over my entertainment center,
                  coverage in the house is fine. I have a kitchen window with line of site to the router and the shop and front windshield of Coach.

Comment

I set up a transparent bridge from my house to my shop, I think it’s a Ubiquiti system. I get about 50mbps out there with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                      I’m in this latter group. Can you give me a Mesh for Dummies list with instructions?

I would like WiFi in my metal shop and in my Coach parked next to the shop.

My router is over my entertainment center,
                      coverage in the house is fine. I have a kitchen window with line of site to the router and the shop and front windshield of Coach.
                      Put a puck in your kitchen window, one on the dashboard of your rv, and one in the window of your shop...
                      No clue if it will work, but as long as theres not several 100 feet of separation it should.

Comment

Put a puck in your kitchen window, one on the dashboard of your rv, and one in the window of your shop...
                        No clue if it will work, but as long as theres not several 100 feet of separation it should.

Thanks, what if there is no line of site window in the shop?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                          Thanks, what if there is no line of site window in the shop?
                          If it has a metal skin, then you're probably SOL on a mesh system, but if the RV is right next to the shop, and there's only 10-15 ft between the pucks, there's a chance it will work.

Comment

Working...
                          X