30-30 capacity question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30-30 capacity question

Any reason why a Marlin 30-30 would only hold 2 + 1? My son has one and he said he can only get it to hold two and then he has to chamber one to get the 3rd bullet in. Operates fine...but shouldn't it hold 5 +1 (or maybe it's 6 in 1)? Thanks.

Is the gun brand new?

Comment

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post
      Is the gun brand new?
      No. It's an older one (i haven't actually seen it but my son says it's older). I can only assume something is broke/stuck. Can't see where they ever made one with 2+1 capacity.

Comment

I don’t think they made one that only holds two in the tube. I’d say something stuck in there or sometimes as you get to that 3rd and 4th bullet it just takes some extra muscles to get it to go in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is there any hunting situation where a plug would be used in one, like in a shotgun?

Comment

not sure how the tube is set up but Marlin and Win. tube hold at least 5, maybe 6.? Been awhile since I've used one.
            You would think the tube and its spring would be removable somehow to see the jam inside it.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
              I don’t think they made one that only holds two in the tube. I’d say something stuck in there or sometimes as you get to that 3rd and 4th bullet it just takes some extra muscles to get it to go in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Agree

Comment

Could be a dent in the magazine tube or an obstruction of some kind. Maybe even old cartridges in there, but a full magazine rifle would hold six I believe, and a half magazine should hold at least three.

I knew an oder guy that had an old Model 92 in 25-20 that would only hold six when it should have held ten or eleven. He said his dad whopped a mule in the head with it once and after that it was a six shooter !

Comment

My guess it was stored with two in the magazine and the tube rusted above the follower. Have him remove the magazine spring and clean it good. May need to use a wire shotgun brush to clean it up.

Comment

Sum Ting Wong

Comment

When I first got my Marlin I found it would feel "sticky" and difficult to load. If you slowly and carefully slide the rounds in it doesn't take them very well. Over time I learned you just have to load each round quickly with some force behind it. Hopefully the fix is this simple.

Comment

Mine holds 6 I believe

Comment

Let a man try to load it

Comment

Something ain’t right. Never heard of a Marlin that didn’t hold at least 5+1. Older models held more. Obstruction…tear it down.

Comment

Is he using Leverevolution point d ammo? Sometimes it gets jammed up with the points especially older guns with flat followers. If not maybe rust or a dent in the mag tube.

Comment

Working...
                              X