Cataract Surgery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cataract Surgery question

Did you get the "upgraded lens" are you happy with them? Dr is saying $3200 per eye for the "top of the line" Is that price inline?

I do not know how that price lines up with other doctors. You can call other offices for costs. I will tell you what my optometrist buddy told my wife. He said she could get the fancy lenses if she really wanted them, but he recommended against it. The reason being is she's diabetic, and if she were to get diabetic retinopathy at some point in the future, with that fancy lens, there is nothing they could do to help her. With the cheaper lens, they would have some options. What you do is up to you, just be sure you've examined all options beforehand.

Comment

I was offered what they described as the best possible progressive lenses for about that price. I think mine were listed at $3500 for each eye. There was an in between lens which they describe as like basic bifocals for about $1500 per eye.

In both options they said they were usually successful with the results but there was no guarantee. I opted for the free lenses knowing that I would have to have cheater reading glasses. I did not want a $7000 gamble even though the odds seem pretty good, just to keep from using reading glasses.

After the surgery my vision has increased dramatically and I’m happy with the results but… I wear cheaters. I did it purely for economical reasons because I was going to retire in about two weeks and didn’t wanna spend the extra money. If I had money to burn, I might have chose the more expensive option and if they didn’t work, oh well, I would still be wearing cheaters

But, the price I was given was about the same as yours.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
        I was offered what they described as the best possible progressive lenses for about that price. I think mine were listed at $3500 for each eye. There was an in between lens which they describe as like basic bifocals for about $1500 per eye.

In both options they said they were usually successful with the results but there was no guarantee. I opted for the free lenses knowing that I would have to have cheater reading glasses. I did not want a $7000 gamble even though the odds seem pretty good, just to keep from using reading glasses.

After the surgery my vision has increased dramatically and I’m happy with the results but… I wear cheaters. I did it purely for economical reasons because I was going to retire in about two weeks and didn’t wanna spend the extra money. If I had money to burn, I might have chose the more expensive option and if they didn’t work, oh well, I would still be wearing cheaters

But, the price I was given was about the same as yours.
        This is what I did also only because they said the progressive ones could cause halo's from lights at night and I had the same problem with progressive contacts.

Comment

I just got my second "basic" eye procedure done today. I only wanted the distance to be clear and I'll get "readers" for close up stuff. Mine were $1900 for each eye and that doesn't include the hospital or anesthesiologist. I'm on medicare and BC/BS, so I shouldn't have any out of pocket.

My only gripe is that I had to wait month between each eye which sucked having two visions to combat. I recommend having it done on both eyes within 2 weeks of each other.

Comment

I had the Tecnis multifocal and very happy with it. No reading glasses needed unless looking at very small print in low-light conditions. Dry eyes were the only negative and that gradually goes away after several years. Very important to follow your doctor's post-op directions precisely.

Comment

Originally posted by Olphart View Post
              I just got my second "basic" eye procedure done today. I only wanted the distance to be clear and I'll get "readers" for close up stuff. Mine were $1900 for each eye and that doesn't include the hospital or anesthesiologist. I'm on medicare and BC/BS, so I shouldn't have any out of pocket.

My only gripe is that I had to wait month between each eye which sucked having two visions to combat. I recommend having it done on both eyes within 2 weeks of each other.
              I only had to wait two weeks but my cataracts were pretty bad so yes it does suck to have one clear eye and one that looks like fog.

Comment

I went with basic, cheaters are cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by osochuck View Post
                  I went with basic, cheaters are cheap

Not only was that my choice, my doctor actually recommended it. He said due to age and eye changes, I could get the more expensive lenses in in five or six years need cheaters anyway.

Comment

I chose the upgraded lens when i had mine done and i would not probably make that decision again. I think mine at the time was $3,000 or so extra. I was young and really didn't want to have to rely on cheaters, but I still have to use them. This was 13 years ago and like everyone said, Dr. said there was no guarantee and unfortunately mine was not 100% successful.

Comment

Even with the upgraded lenses as you age your vision can change and there’s a chance you’ll need cheaters. Did the basics almost 20 years ago and been happy with them.

Comment

I went basic years ago, but I'm one of the odd ones. I can read just fine except for very small print.

Comment

Get some 6x power optical zoom, maybe a thermal lens too.

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
                            Did you get the "upgraded lens" are you happy with them? Dr is saying $3200 per eye for the "top of the line" Is that price inline?
                            I got the upgraded lenses and am very happy with them. I can see from near to far with no need for cheaters. That price is inline with what I paid. If I had it to do over again, I would do the same.

Comment

Had mine done in July at Mann Eye in Houston. Cataract surgery, top of the line lens replacement, and a drain for my glaucoma. Worth the drive for the TBH price discount they give us and the customer service is next to none. They are a sponsor on here and you can contact Laurie Davenport at the Sugarland location.

Comment

Working...
                              X