Anyone experienced with Muzzleloaders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone experienced with Muzzleloaders?

I am first to admit I know nothing about Muzzleloaders. Anyone have time to educate me on what to look for with these things?

Also, does anyone know of a place in the DFW area that carries a decent selection in the general DFW area? I assume since it's such a small market in Texas nobody stocks them.

Hard to find any in stock
    Are you interested in traditional side locks or inlines ?
    Ive shot sidelocks for a long time but know nothing about inlines

Comment

Originally posted by bigmike View Post
      Hard to find any in stock
      Are you interested in traditional side locks or inlines ?
      Ive shot sidelocks for a long time but know nothing about inlines
      Inline would probably be what I gravitate towards.

Comment

For traditional I like the side locks but for just general hunting most of the time it is the inlines that get the nod.

For inlines TC and CVA are good ones to look at that will not break the bank. There are some out there that are accurate to 400 yards with he energy for hunting but there is a large price tag for it.

The days of black powder as an option for shooting are questionable as the Goex plant is being closed. Hodgdon owns it and is closing the doors. There are several suitable substitutes though that are available and reliable, I have not shot true black powder in years but it was fun on a busy range to pull out the smoke pole and let others enjoy that smell of rotten eggs from the Sulphur burning.

The pellets are easy for loading but often you can find a better shooting load with loose powder.

Big Mike ask some good questions.

If looking at sidelocks Pedersoli have some good ones both flintlock and percussion. Basspro and Cabela's usually have some in stock but I haven't been in one in a while to see what they have.

Comment

I have a CVA optima and had a Traditions buckstalker.They are on the low end of price but they shoot great.You have to clean them constantly the black power is very corrosive,so I suggest a stainless barrel.You can make long shots they are very accurate but the bullet drops quickly after 100 yds.I shoot a 50 cal with l believe 275 grain bullet and 150 gr.powder
          It’s business on both ends of the gun.

Comment

I have a CVA Accura with stainless Bergara barrel. It is scary accurate. I shoot Powerbelt bullets with 100ge or 150gr IMR White Hot pellets. Typically only need 100gr.

For operation, CVA has some really good How To videos.

Here is one:

Comment

Look around for a muzzleloader club in you area.

Comment

I shoot a Knight Ultralite, I use it when elk hunting and have to hike a lot. It weighs 6lbs without a scope. If you aren't going to be hunting in the mountains then I would pick something a little heavier. It shoots well though.

Comment

This year may be the year to keep it simple. I have an Accura with a breech modded for 209 primers to run buckhorn 209 powder. There is really scattered availability on both of these. I do see 777 and pellets available. I have not looked for other primers since I did not make a ML draw this year. Good Luck.

Comment

The newest type gun is The Fire Stick,, I have one on order myself and the word is on the street aka all my northern muzzleloader friends they have played with them their nothing short of magical and absolutely stupid easy to load and shoot especially for a rookie.

I can answer anything you may have a question about so feel free to pm me if needed. If you need pellets, bullets or primers I have enough to get you going as long as your a 50 caliber guy

Comment

One with removable breech plug so you can clean it like a pipe...open both ends...209 primers and Blackhorn ...

Comment

I have a CVA optima and wolf. I LOVE the optima. As mentioned above get one will a removable breech plug. Also unless it's changed you can order a ML straight to your door, no ffl needed. I have 50 calibers but use sabots so the trajectory is less. I also use 2 50 grain powered pellets for ease of use. I'll kill snuff cans all day at 100yrds no problem. If you want to fine tune for optimal accuracy then blackhorn 209 powder is where it's at.

Comment

Oh and one other thing, it seems to me the blood trails aren't as good. So I shoot them in the front shoulder. I'm not sure if it's a velocity issue or not.

Comment

I've been extremely happy with my CVA Optima V2. I use Blackhorn 209, the BH209 breech plug and sabots. It's very accurate and puts deer down hard.

Comment

Owned quite a few CVA models of the Accura and Optima as well as some sidelocks and a Cooper. All shoot very well, especially the CVAs with 80-85gr (by weight) of BH209 and a bore size bullet (Harvester, etc). Killed an elk and muley in CO with them two years ago.

The Optima stainless/black optima has been replaced and is up for grabs (DFW area).

Comment

Working...
                              X