No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drew unit 70 archery for Colorado today. I've hunter there during rifle season, but never archery. Anyone have any advice for that unit? Thanks!

Comment

Drew 551 for archery, will be my first year in Colorado

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Whining for Welfare in the Gila again.

NEW MEXICO (KRQE) – A group of New Mexico ranchers and landowners are suing the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish. They claim the state is not protecting them from the ever-growing elk herd de…

Comment

Drew unit 71 for archery. This will be my first time, any pointers for the area?

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico...cUx2GSHXHlLWfs

Lol sounds like they should run elk hunts. Would probably make a lot of money and could run fewer cows. Definitely less of a headache

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Steady_Hand View Post
              Drew unit 71 for archery. This will be my first time, any pointers for the area?

Yes, get in good shape

Comment

The Elk Thread

Originally posted by ladrones View Post

https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico...cUx2GSHXHlLWfs

I hope the Judge looks at them in court and says,

“Let me understand this. You ranch an area that’s always had elk on it, so did your fathers and grandfathers. There are law-abiding hunters who would love to have access to your ranches and I understand they can’t trespass on your land. Now your have the right as landowners to say who can and who can’t hunt on it, but you guys have nutz coming in front of me saying the state owes you anything.

The same people you want to pay to solve your problem are the same you won’t allow on your ranches.

I want you to sit down with the game warden and come back in 30 days with a plan of how many hunters you could have on each ranch, each day of the season to help solve your problem. Next case, please”

Last edited by Bill; 05-28-2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  I hope the Judge looks at them in court and says,

“Let me understand this. You ranch an area that’s always had elk on it, so did your fathers and grandfathers. There are law-abiding hunters who would love to have access to your ranches and I understand they can’t trespass on your land. Now your have the right as landowners to say who can and who can’t hunt on it, but you guys have nutz coming in front of me saying the state owes you anything.

The same people you want to pay to solve your problem are the same you won’t allow on your ranches.

I want you to sit down with the game warden and come back in 30 days with a plan of how many hunters you could have on each ranch, each day of the season to help solve your problem. Next case, please”

That seems like an appropriate response!

Comment

Got some bulls on my other camera at a waterhole! Somewhere in unit 37 NM
                    Attached Files

Comment

Been exercising more and more. Using a weighted pack and ankle weights with all my cardio. Working 3-4 days a week and will increase that as time goes by.

Rifle has been dialed in but will get some powder burned in it before long as I love to shoot.

Been strategizing on Google Earth, Google Maps and OnX to form a plan. I've got a full plate this summer but hoping to scratch a weekend scouting trip. I'd like to at least drive the area's looking at access points and such.

I have most all my gear including two different badlands packs. I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade my boots and need to move on it soon for break in.

Excited is an understatement.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                        Been exercising more and more. Using a weighted pack and ankle weights with all my cardio. Working 3-4 days a week and will increase that as time goes by.
                        I quit drinking beer yesterday so that's a start lol.

We struck out on our apps but it looks like both my boys who live in Wyoming are interested in going on their first Elk hunt so I'll have to whip up some conditioning so I can go up and play guide. They both got their first Antelope last year so a heck of a step up this year. Their draw deadline is June 1 so I had them put in for an Area they've got 21% draw odds in but realistically they'll just end up buying General tags so I need to get started on tracking down some General units and make a plan. There's so much territory it's kind of daunting to get started but I've got some preliminary ideas. I'm just as excited to go whether I shoot or not makes no difference I still get to hunt and hopefully punish my legs with a heavy pack out.

Comment

I hear ya. I don't drink a lot but have cut back in other area's with a goal of dropping 15 pounds. I'm down 3 pounds so far and feel like I'll comfortably be at Goal weight around September 1st. I'm using a 50 pound pack and reminded of what I was carrying around daily until about 2 years ago. I dropped 50 pounds in 2019 and gained about 15 back last year but was holding.

I'll cut out all alcohol sometime in September and possibly after my labor day wedding.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            I plan to prep by stop drinking beer end of June. I may have been doing some heavier leg workouts on lift days too though.

Got a new bow I need to build arrows for, guess I'll pay for the software to calculate it all out and get setup. Been practicing with my old bow's arrows but I suspect they're a bit weak spined.
                            Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                            my new arrows are going to be stupid lol.. THey will be the best arrow I have ever shot but they will also be the most expensive arrow ive ever built
                            Yeah so I ended up with the Triad XSD. I have no idea what mood I was in when I decided it was a good idea to spend that money but I hope it doesn't happen again any time soon.

Comment

Anyone familiar with CO GMU 53, especially the Watson Flats area? Got a few questions.

Thanks,

Comment

Keep up your workouts boys. The mountains (and elk) are awaiting!

I’m moving my workouts into the local Montana national forest and starting scouting.

Comment

Working...
                                X