No announcement yet.

AR counties can sure suck sometimes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The OP looks at least 13” to 13.5”... On an obvious super mature deer I would risk it... if it’s under I would call the game warden pay the fine and move on...

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
      antler restrictions were needed in east Texas due to proximity to large population centers. way too many hunters shooting way too many bucks, they didn't stand a chance. Now they have that chance.

however, AR would be a disaster west of I-35. there are more deer than people in a lot of those counties and there would be an over-population issue if they had to follow the 13 inch rule. I have more than 2 bucks to every doe and most of them are in the 2-3 year range. i have personally sat over the summer and counted 10 bucks in a 2 acre food plot. 2 were mature. 3 were spikes and forks and 5 were small 8's
      So AR’s will make a healthier deer herd east of I-35, but would be a disaster west of I-35. Interesting.

Comment

I agree the restriction has helped overall. It would be nice to be able to shoot mature deer that aren’t very wide. There isn’t a perfect solution. I watched this deer all summer and we had pretty much made up our minds he wasn’t legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I still think either a limit of only one deer, period in some counties, also possibly a rule allow shooting deer with at least 9 points, possibly 8, I have seen a lot of young 8 pointers.
          In some counties, I think the best solution is going to be limiting each hunter to only one deer.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
            No it isn't perfect and it has helped to raise the population of mature bucks, but.

The 13" rule isn't about the spread of the deer. It was implemented to allow 2-3 year old bucks a better chance to reach maturity. It has done that. If there is a buck that is no doubt mature(pictured above) there should be some common sense in the matter. Taking a mature buck should not be illegal just because his antlers are 12 1/2". Some things just make no sense.
            This is my thinking exactly. But how is it done?

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
              I still think either a limit of only one deer, period in some counties, also possibly a rule allow shooting deer with at least 9 points, possibly 8, I have seen a lot of young 8 pointers.
              In some counties, I think the best solution is going to be limiting each hunter to only one deer.
              Ger rid of the **** spike tag.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                So AR’s will make a healthier deer herd east of I-35, but would be a disaster west of I-35. Interesting.
                yes.

based on the hunter to deer ratio in those counties. east Texas has more hunters with tags to fill, that's how we got into the predicament that caused the AR to begin with.

Comment

I think they outta just give a 2 doe and spike tag for two years. So you can’t shoot a big buck only a spike or slick horn deer. For two years that will give the 3.5 year old deer a chance to mature. But each county is different in deer herds so that wouldn’t work just anywhere

Comment

I love the AR restrictions best thing the state has done in a long time!

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
                      That deer is 14-15” all day long
                      I thought the same thing...

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                        Ger rid of the **** spike tag.
                        They will never do that:
                        1. They believe their flawed study
                        2. That would eliminate hunter opportunity on a mostly numerous, easy identifiable animal.

Comment

Overall, I like the law. I just don't like it for us. I was initially excited for it. But after 9 years of it, we've gotten much, much worse. It's the law and the pressure around us. I could show you many mature bucks that we watch for years that are illegal and older junk that no one wants to kill. I don't think the unkillable bucks are the real problem. It's the harvest of the up and comers IMO. I think the pressure is too much for the one segment of the herd. I call our area "broken cover" country. Sooner or later, the legal bucks become visible moving from cover to cover. With the surrounding pressure, they don't have a chance. It's like running the gauntlet. If the law wasn't in place, I think the harvest would be more evenly spread out over many age classes. Yes, you'd lose some young bucks, but the weekend warrior would be tagged out at that point and some decent deer would be allowed to mature. That is what I saw prior to the restrictions. Never did I think it would get worse but it has.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                            yes.

based on the hunter to deer ratio in those counties. east Texas has more hunters with tags to fill, that's how we got into the predicament that caused the AR to begin with.
                            So what were those ratios? I’m about 200 miles west of east Texas and I’m still being penalized. Oh wait, I mean I’m making a healthier deer herd.

Comment

I think they should change the whole state to bow hunting only for 4 or 5 years.

Shoot the buck already and put a tape on him!

Comment

I know that I'm in the very small minority but i don't see where it has helped anything. I have seen more bigger deer before this rule came in place. I realize this is not the case for most of yall from reading your comments but it is my observation. Maybe they should just limit it to one buck tag and two does. If you want to shoot a little 4 point then by all means do so but that will be your deer. I personally don't see where it has helped anything but that is my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X