Ashton's 2020 Bosque County Buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashton's 2020 Bosque County Buck

“Dad I think I am going to buy a compound bow and try and kill a Pope and Young this season with it”. Well where do I start? Ashton made the above comment to me early last spring which got my mind turning a little. I said self, seems if Breck passed his Z3 to Ashton, and I passed my Halon 32 to Breck, then old Dad could slip into a new VXR 31.5………. Just so happened, I had already been eyeing the shiny new VXR and I knew a shop that just might be able to fix me up….

Fast forward….Ashton practiced all summer and was ready to go come opening weekend. So her and I rolled out to my Christoval lease grounds to see if her and I could get it done. With all the green browse and acorns it made deer activity very slim, as in very few sightings.

Ashton’s work schedule made hunting the second weekend impossible but with a north wind scheduled for yesterday we knew where we needed to be. So off to my river grounds we went with high hopes of her getting on one of three solid bucks that had been showing up on camera. I dropped her off at my favorite tree in the world and told her to text me once she has one bleeding. But as happens sometimes, best made plans go south…………like lots of hogs south! She texted me and said a truck full of hogs just cleared the plot. I replied……SHOOT! She did and one less sow later it was dark.

On the ride home Ashton said she was going to get up in the morning and ease down on the river for another try. I told her that I had to work and she would be on her on. She traded vehicles with Breck and her plan was set.

Sitting at my desk around 6:50 and the text string goes something like………”He is in the plot with a ton of other deer and you have a 3 legged hog at the feeder.” I tell her to relax and be patient. The next message is, “he’s coming in”………I rushed back with a text suggesting, “put your phone down and get ready to make a good shot and who’s coming in?”………“Fat Albert”…. I like to fell out of my chair. Fat Albert is an 8/9 year old toad of an 8 point and to say I was excited for her would be a fib.

The next few minutes were stressful then a text reads, “I shot him, and blood is everywhere!” “Dad, I am shaking so bad”....."He was quartered away, think I heart shot him"....... Not sure how to describe my feelings, but man oh man life is good! Fat Albert made it to the edge of the lower plot and died head first into a saw briar clump.

Well the kids have been extremely blessed and all I can say is God is good. Thinking that Breck and Ashton should start saving now for me one heck of a Christmas present………

Hope all enjoyed and below are a few LDP'S of Ashton and old Fat Albert. Now on to maybe, just maybe, to find me one……

I will post history photos of Fat Albert later. He has been on my grounds for 5 years and loved feed, any type of feed……

Sorry for the long read, but thought both deserved it. God bless and hope all kill a giant!

Rwc
    Attached Files

That’s frickin awesome. Congrats

Comment

Very nice! He's got a GUT! Fat is an understatement!

Comment

Huge neck, congrats on a great buck! Love seeing these swole up mature bucks this time of year.
        Last edited by tbgascorer; 10-13-2020, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Fantastic buck, story and PHOTOS. Very nicely done, you were clearly very careful and intentional with positioning of her and the deer.

Congratulations to both of you. Memories for a lifetime.

Comment

Congratulations on a great and hefty buck! I know you're very proud of her, and rightly so.

Comment

Love it! Congrats!

Comment

Jesus! That is so awesome.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Great deer, congrats to you both!!!

Comment

Sweet deer. Tell her CONGRATS!! Guess the Bosque Cnty deer better be on the lookout now your kids are piling them up. Thanks for sharing

Comment

That is a great write up and congrats to her. Truly amazing. The smile says it all.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                        Huge neck, congrats on a great buck! Love seeing these swole up mature bucks this time of year.
                        He has been swole up since he was 5, year around. Ha ha

Rwc

Comment

Man, life dont get no better than that. What a story and a heck of a deer. Congrats to all of yall !!!!

Comment

Good stuff right there. I always look forward to your family hunt threads. Y’all definitely stack ‘em up each year.

Very nice buck and a big congrats to you and Ashton.

Well done, my Friend.

Comment

Great buck and heck of a first archery deer kill!

Comment

Working...
                              X