X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Bible Portion (Saturday)

Daily Bible Portion – 7 of 7
    "YOU SHALL COMMAND"

(Weekly Reading>>Exodus 27:20-30:10, Ezekiel 43:10-27, Romans 12:1-13:14)

The Ministry of the Priestly Garments
    (1 Samuel 17:37-51)

The prophet Samuel anointed David, the youngest son of Jesse, king. His brothers mocked him, just as Joseph’s brothers had mocked him. One day, his father asked David to deliver food to his brothers who were fighting in Saul’s army against the Philistines. The Israelites were greatly afraid of this army, especially Goliath, a giant warrior who continually mocked the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. When David arrived he assessed the situation.

“Then David spoke to the men who stood by him, saying, ‘What shall be done for the man who kills this Philistine and takes away the reproach from Israel? For who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God?’” (1 Samuel 17:26).

When Saul heard of David’s enquiry he sent for him.

“So Saul clothed David with his armor, and he put a bronze helmet on his head; he also clothed him with a coat of mail” (1 Samuel 17:38).

Saul tried to make David look like all the other warriors who depended on an external armor for protection. David had no need of them and felt so awkward that he could not walk (1 Samuel 17:39).

David was a shepherd. He spent time in the Word and had intimate knowledge and wisdom of how to walk in agreement with its power and authority therefore David had no need of man’s armor. It was a false garment to him. David assured Saul, “Yahweh, who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.” Saul agreed to this and blessed him. (1Sa 17:34-3 NKJ)

“So David took them off. Then he took his staff in his hand; and he chose for himself five smooth stones [Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy] from the brook [living water], and put them in a shepherd's bag, in a pouch which he had [reference to the ephod on the priestly garment], and his sling was in his hand.”

The Philistine took one look at David standing in only his shepherd’s clothing and cursed him.

Then David said to the Philistine,

“You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the LORD/YHVH of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day Yahweh will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you. And this day I will give the carcasses of the camp of the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. Then all this assembly shall know that Yahweh does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is Yahweh’s, and He will give you into our hands” (1Samuel 17: 45-47).

“Then David put his hand in his bag and took out a stone; and he slung it and struck the Philistine in his forehead, so that the stone sank into his forehead, and he fell on his face to the earth. So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, and struck the Philistine and killed him. But there was no sword in the hand of David” (1 Samuel 17:49-50).

The Altar of Incense
    (Exodus 30:1-10)

The altar of incense is listed last as we cannot approach this altar until our hearts have come into agreement with Yahweh’s ways and our minds having been consecrated/circumcised before Him. The altar of incense is located inside the tabernacle and could only be approached by Levite (Kohath) priest. No other believer or Levite could approach. The altar of incense will not function within a believer until this happens, thus the description of the altar follows after the instructions for the tabernacle furnishings and the garments of the priesthood.

Romans 13:12-14 “The night is almost gone, and the day is at hand. Let us therefore lay aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light [Yeshua’s priestly garments]. Let us behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual promiscuity and sensuality, not in strife and jealousy. But put on Yeshua the Messiah, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts.”

continues tomorrow...
Working...
X