Tikka T3x Lite Rifle -barrel threading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tikka T3x Lite Rifle -barrel threading

I’m looking at getting a t3x lite stainless in 308. I’ve gone to the dark side and pretty much only hunt suppressed. I know these barrels are pretty light and was wondering if it’s possible to have one chopped down to 20” and threaded 5/8-24...

Or would I be better off just buying the tikka ctr. It’s already 20” and threaded. I just prefer the look of a more traditional rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
    I’m looking at getting a t3x lite stainless in 308. I’ve gone to the dark side and pretty much only hunt suppressed. I know these barrels are pretty light and was wondering if it’s possible to have one chopped down to 20” and threaded 5/8-24...

Or would I be better off just buying the tikka ctr. It’s already 20” and threaded. I just prefer the look of a more traditional rifle.

What’s the current barrel length? I doubt you will be have enough barrel thickness if you cut it as a lot of those barrels have a pretty quick taper. It may be possible to do a 1/2x28” thread though.

Comment

I have one in 6.5cm that was cut down to 18” and I just got it threaded.. had plenty of meat for it..

Comment

Here it is
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
          What’s the current barrel length? I doubt you will be have enough barrel thickness if you cut it as a lot of those barrels have a pretty quick taper. It may be possible to do a 1/2x28” thread though.

It’s 22.4”...

Comment

Originally posted by TexasRough1256 View Post
            Here it is
            Man that looks good. I’ve got an 18” Bergara ridge and it sure is handy, even with my yhm resonator on it

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post
              It’s 22.4”...

If you don’t think it can be done with 22, I don’t think taking 2” off will get you your 5/8” thread. Possibly the 1/2x28”

I have one in 6.5cm that was cut down to 18” and I just got it threaded.. had plenty of meat for it..

.264 vs .30 caliber. Less barrel wall thickness in the .308. I doubt it could be cut 5/8”x24. What thread pitch did they use? I’d figure 1/2x28” is more likely to still have enough shoulder for the the suppressor to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                If you don’t think it can be done with 22, I don’t think taking 2” off will get you your 5/8” thread. Possibly the 1/2x28”

.264 vs .30 caliber. Less barrel wall thickness in the .308. I doubt it could be cut 5/8”x24. What thread pitch did they use? I’d figure 1/2x28” is more likely to still have enough shoulder for the the suppressor to stop.

They went with the 5/8 x24 and put a tapered washer on it for a shoulder for the can. It reminds me of a crush washer... I want to say I’ve seen a few guys run 16.5-18” guns in 308 with the 5/8 on the GS..

If you plan on keeping in 22”, I think you may be limited to the 1/2x28 unfortunately

Comment

They went with the 5/8 x24 and put a tapered washer on it for a shoulder for the can. It reminds me of a crush washer... I want to say I’ve seen a few guys run 16.5-18” guns in 308 with the 5/8 on the GS..

If you plan on keeping in 22”, I think you may be limited to the 1/2x28 unfortunately

The tapered washer makes sense. Yeah I can see the 16-18” guns being able to because of the taper (more likely to have more wall thickness at that length) I have a sporter .308 with a similar contour and if memory serves me right I would have to cut it around 17” to do 5/8” threads, I’ve checked on it before for this same purpose.

Comment

Here’s my Tikka cut down to 16”, threaded 5/8x24. It shoots great suppressed!

Comment

Weatherby has used 9/16” threads for muzzle brakes on their sporter weight rifles forever. Leaves plenty of meat with a .30 bore.

Unfortunately most suppressor manufacturers don’t offer much for 9/16” threads, though Dead Air has a flash hider in it that indexes off the muzzle if you have a can that runs Key Mo.

I’ve also found this direct thread option.

The Energetic Armament Vox Direct Thread Mount, 9/16x24RH is the ideal mount for using the Vox suppressor on rifles, carbines, and subguns with fixed barrels.

Comment

I went through this exact same exercise and sold my Tikka T3 .308 and bought the CTR. Comes cut to 20 and threaded. Plug and play. The CTR is now one of my favorites guns and mine is a shooter. Loves the Federal Fusion 180 grain. I have a DeadAir Nomad that rides on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                          I went through this exact same exercise and sold my Tikka T3 .308 and bought the CTR. Comes cut to 20 and threaded. Plug and play. The CTR is now one of my favorites guns and mine is a shooter. Loves the Federal Fusion 180 grain. I have a DeadAir Nomad that rides on it.

Yeah I’m thinking the CTR might be my safest / best option.... I just prefer the look of the tikka lite

Comment

Just bought a T3X Compact in 7mm08 to have around for my 11 year old and wife to shoot. Didn’t think about the possibility of suppressing it until I read this thread. It has the 20” barrel already but would need to thread it

That’s a sweet little gun. Too bad Tikka discontinued the Compact

Comment

I'm in Central TX and needing to get a couple barrels threaded. Do you guys have anyone you would reccomend? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Working...
                              X