Fishing in rockport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing in rockport

The wife and I are talking about taking our boys down to the Rockport area next month for a few days. If we go, there is a 100% chance that i am taking a fishing rod with me. Can anyone on here educate me on where i can go and fish from a jetty or possibly wade and give myself a fighting chance to catch some? I'm not really looking for live bait fishing, I'm a bass fisherman, so artificial baits are my forte.

Following I'm headed down there next week but I'll be more of a live bait guy so any help would be nice

Comment

This is a nice little place for family. Little swimming and wade fishing.

Comment

For wading I'd try:
        Rockport beach - Gotta pay to go in; there is a small jetty/canal
        Little bay - areas right off the main road
        Shell ridge - there is a nice little beach/kayak launch area
        Rattlesnake point - copano bay
        Goose Island state park in fulton not to far
        Port Bay kayak launch

Do a quick google search on the names above and you can see where these places are. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
          https://goo.gl/maps/yhPoL9fTtMiZVJrp8

This is a nice little place for family. Little swimming and wade fishing.
          This if you want to wade.. get there early, the spot will get taken, watch for gators. For jetty fishing go to Port A, it is about a 30 min drive (if the ferry line isn't backed up).

Comment

Originally posted by frios View Post
            For wading I'd try:
            Port Bay kayak launch

Do a quick google search on the names above and you can see where these places are. Hope this helps.
            Always thought the area behind rockport beach would produce something. Might have to try it next time we go if we donโ€™t take the boat out

Comment

There used to be some pretty good places to fish around that area, but I have not fished them in a while, so I can't say how good they are now. Also I have not fished any of the area, since Harvey hit, so I really don't know what to expect. We used to fish that area a lot with lures, we used to do very good, there are quite a few places in the area, that used to be good for wade fishing or pier fishing.

Comment

Behind the airport gets hammered every day but can produce at times with shrimp and popping cork for some. Good place to try if you have a strong south wind.

If I was on foot, I would park on the side street just north of Laguna Reef Hotel off Water St. next to a boarded up little grey house before daylight. The guy in a brick house may say something but it will be when your leaving if anything. Walk straight out from the cross street parallel to the hotel pier. You'll need to walk thru a small pound before crossing over a shell bar before reaching clean water. Start waste deep early and work your way out as the sun comes up. Broken shell most all the way out. Croaker will be your best bet but my second choice would be a Little John XL (watermelon red), DSL, or possibly Norton Sand Eel Jr.. It can be south wind sensitive but by July the wind usually picks up late and dies off by morning light.

The end of the pier at Goose Island Park can also be productive if the wind allows it.

Comment

For wading I'd try:
                  Port Bay kayak launch

Good info here

Comment

Headed there next week also. Thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Was the pier on shell ridge rd. rebuild?

Comment

Originally posted by shiner78 View Post
                        Was the pier on shell ridge rd. rebuild?

No.

I was there 2 weeks ago and its still broken down. However, the fishing is pretty good in there. Early AM or late PM is best.

Comment

No.

I was there 2 weeks ago and its still broken down. However, the fishing is pretty good in there. Early AM or late PM is best.
                          X2 on wading Shell Ridge road.

Start very early. I'd fill a bait bucket w/ a few dozen croakers, and another w/ live shrimp. - walk out to over waist deep, and cast back towards the shore w/ the wind. Work the blown out peers

Comment

If you dont already have a room booked check out the Pelican Bay. They have bungalo type houses, a motel, or a private house. They have a pool, and a private lighted fishing pier on copano bay.

As far as wade fishing you could go wade near the public boat ramp down the road from goose island state park.

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
                              X2 on wading Shell Ridge road.

Start very early. I'd fill a bait bucket w/ a few dozen croakers, and another w/ live shrimp. - walk out to over waist deep, and cast back towards the shore w/ the wind. Work the blown out peers
                              Do you just buy them at a bait store?

Comment

Working...
                              X