Another processor to cross off my list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another processor to cross off my list

If you're going to comment "just do it yourself", go ahead and hit the back button.

I had two doe, from the 4R trip that CastAndBlast and I went on, two weeks ago. Since we were leaving for the weekend, I decided to drop it off at Dozier's, in Fulshear (which was just sold to a new owner). I'd used them in the past, and been pleased with their work and their prices.

I had given one doe to my father-in-law. I took in the other. Backstraps cut into medallions and bacon wrapped, one hind quarter cut into pieces for jerky, and the rest ground to hamburger.

First off, the lady told me that the new owners are charging $2.99 for EACH bacon wrap, instead of the old price of $20 for both back straps. This could easily come out to $60, so I told her not to do that. I paid my $50 deposit and went home. This was on Thursday.

Saturday (while out of town) I got a call that my meat was ready.

Monday, I went to pick it up. My balance was $75.
    In addition to the standard processing fee, they charged me $13 to grind the burger and $28 to cut the jerky strips. I'm not sure what the processing fee actually covers, since they tacked on these extra fees for what I'd consider "processing".

I guess I'm shopping for another processor, again!

This is the box of meat that I got for $125.

Click image for larger version

Name:	meat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	25197886

That's two does worth of meat???

Don't do it yourself...

Comment

Ouch.

Comment

That’s the whole doe????

Brother, I’d be asking some questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Processing fee usually is for deboning. The rest is custom work and takes time. Doesn't seem like to high.

I paid $93 for 1 doe to be ground in hamburger. Package straps, and then 10 lbs of jalapeno/cheese hot link.

Comment

You will be in for disappointment I'm afraid when you start pricing other places. They ain't cheap anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
              Processing fee usually is for deboning. The rest is custom work and takes time. Doesn't seem like to high.

I paid $93 for 1 doe to be ground in hamburger. Package straps, and then 10 lbs of jalapeno/cheese hot link.

That seems right.... but from the OPs pic that doesn’t seem close to a whole doe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm assuming those are 2lb bags you have ground up. Looks like about 36 lbs worth. Plus the other sealed cubes. That's probably about right for one doe honestly. The reality is some processors don't get every ounce of meat off when deboning.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                  That's two does worth of meat???
                  Don't do it yourself...
                  Re-read ... that's one doe.

Originally posted by TexanDuke View Post
                  That’s the whole doe????
                  Yep.

Originally posted by JayB View Post

Compare what you got ... same animal, but you had 10 pounds of hot links made. There was NO sausage or processing, other than cutting, in my order. If there was some sausage in there, I wouldn't have an issue; I know it's expensive to make sausage.

Comment

Stopped using Dozier’s 6 years ago after they “lost” my order, a buck and a doe, and offered to make up my order from a doe they had “donated”. To top it off, he offered 2 links of sausage of which I saw him take from another persons order to make up for the mix up.

Comment

I'd be tempted to do it myself. Something you should consider.

Comment

Depending on what size packages those are I’d say it’s about right, and I also echo what has been said above, I think you will be disappointed if you think you will find anywhere in this area significantly cheaper. I use Praseks for ground meat(supreme bacon burger they call it) and Juniors for sausage. One doe worth of sausage last year was $170 at Juniors. I was a little taken back by praseks pricing this year. Had an entire doe ground up to bacon burger, it was $170ish. Wife wanted my sons buck in bacon burger as well(huge bodied deer), and it was like $240ish. These prices are deboning included which was $40 a piece. Needless to say we will go a different route next year.

Comment

I will debone and grind deer or hog for 2$ a pound not including the bone weight. I bought a grinder few years ago an love doing it. Deboning an grinding is all I do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            I'm assuming those are 2lb bags you have ground up. Looks like about 36 lbs worth. Plus the other sealed cubes. That's probably about right for one doe honestly. The reality is some processors don't get every ounce of meat off when deboning.
                            Yep, I do mine myself and average 20-25 lbs of ground meat from each doe. Shoulders and hindquarters.

Comment

I'm in Cypress

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X