Smoking Turkey Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Turkey Question

Smoking a 13# bird after morning hunt Thursday. Going to spatch-cock it. Could i cook it at 325-350 or would i be better off at 275-300? Using my uds.

Thx

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I did a trial run with a 12 lb bird last Friday. I did the spatchcock deal a d bribed overnight. I smoked mine at 250 for about 3.5 hours. I pulled when the thickest part of the breast hit 160. It was great! I did rub it down and rubbed under the skin with herbed butter. Did it on my new Yoder which is fabulous.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
      I did a trial run with a 12 lb bird last Friday. I did the spatchcock deal a d bribed overnight. I smoked mine at 250 for about 3.5 hours. I pulled when the thickest part of the breast hit 160. It was great! I did rub it down and rubbed under the skin with herbed butter. Did it on my new Yoder which is fabulous.
      Thx!

Should be in from hunt by 9:30ish. We are eating at 2 in mesquite which means we need to leave by 1.

Comment

I also had a 10 pound prime rib on the pit. The prime rib finished just about the same time but I put it on an hour earlier. I have done turkeys from 225-275 degrees. I like 250-275 and pull it off when the thickest part of the breast hits 160. I have done them whole and spatchcocked. Always take from 2.5 to 4 hours. Always great!

Comment

I’m doing a 15 lb bird thanksgiving morning. I’m following instructions from Chef Eric Gephart. In his video, Eric cooks a 10 lb bird in about an hour & 15 mins at 325° on a Kamado style cooker, which is really similar to a UDS. I’m guessing my 15 lb bird will take around 2 hours.

Here is Eric’s video.

Chef Eric is back with another great recipe, this time he's kicking out a fantastic Thanksgiving Turkey on the Kamado Joe. Enjoy!â–º FULL RECIPE: (https://bit....

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
            I’m doing a 15 lb bird thanksgiving morning. I’m following instructions from Chef Eric Gephart. In his video, Eric cooks a 10 lb bird in about an hour & 15 mins at 325° on a Kamado style cooker, which is really similar to a UDS. I’m guessing my 15 lb bird will take around 2 hours.

Here is Eric’s video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=zZl2-1-74io
            Thx!

Comment

You good at 250-275

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                Smoking a 13# bird after morning hunt Thursday. Going to spatch-cock it. Could i cook it at 325-350 or would i be better off at 275-300? Using my uds.

Thx

I’m a 275 guy, but I don’t think you will have any issues bumping the temp up if you are in a time pinch, especially if you’re spatchcock-cocking it. I routinely smoke whole chickens at 350 and they turn out great.

Comment

Thx

I cooked one yesterday Spatchcock on my pit boss at 350 and it turned out great. Check the thickest part of the breast about 2 hrs in. Mine was ready in 2:45 min. Mine was 10-12 pounds. You may need longer depending on a bigger bird.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I generally try to keep my smoker around 260-275 range, but have bumped it up to 325 when needing to get a bird done faster. I inject mine with a jalepeno creole butter also that gives it a really good flavor and keeps it very moist.

Comment

I've never spatchcocked a turkey, but I think I'll try it tomorrow. It's been brining since last night and I'll be smoking it at about 250-275. I'm doing a 22lb bird so I'm assuming that the time to smoke it will be greatly reduced. Any advice here is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        I've never spatchcocked a turkey, but I think I'll try it tomorrow. It's been brining since last night and I'll be smoking it at about 250-275. I'm doing a 22lb bird so I'm assuming that the time to smoke it will be greatly reduced. Any advice here is appreciated.
                        That’s a big bird... it will reduce time, but i would still give yourself at least 4 hours to be safe

Comment

Think ill try it at 325-350.

Skin side down or skin side up?

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                            Someone call Bert & Ernie, I think Curt is going to cook their friend!

Think ill try it at 325-350.

Skin side down or skin side up?

Well technically the whole bird is covered in skin, but breast side up
                            Last edited by Playa; 11-27-2019, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I got mine in the brine and will inject tomorrow when I prep it for the cook.

Comment

Working...
                              X