Comal Co. Passes Another Anti Hunting Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comal Co. Passes Another Anti Hunting Law

Well Comal County has done it again. As if their being only 1 of 2 counties in the state to: "ban bow hunting on 10 acres or less" Ordinance 422825 was not enough, they are now the ONLY county to ban air rifles....

Make no mistake, this newest attack was a direct attack on hunters utilizing the new TPWD approved air rifles to hunt whitetail on small acreage.

Just look at the comments in the minutes of the meeting from commissioner Haag "like the ones people are using to kill whitetail" and commissioner Crownover, "people have exploited airguns recently" So now a county commissioners court knows more than TPWD and considers legal hunting of whitetail "exploitation" and "killing".

It never ends.....Outdoorsmen and gun owners are always under attack, and these commissioners consider themselves republicans! I think they need to ban cars, right? Cars kill and exploit whitetail at an alarming rate! Cars definitely pose a risk to public safety, right? Read below.

Meeting Minutes:

New Ordinance:

Last edited by JSeabolt; 11-18-2019, 02:15 PM. Reason: Grammar

...so it is not unsafe to shoot varmints, but it is unsafe to shoot a deer...
    Their grounds for the ordinance and the way it is written and selectively done to only 1 class of animals could be "shot" down in court pretty easily... If it is unsafe to shoot a deer, it is just as unsafe to shoot a coyote with the same gun...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      ...so it is not unsafe to shoot varmints, but it is unsafe to shoot a deer...
      Their grounds for the ordinance and the way it is written and selectively done to only 1 class of animals could be "shot" down in court pretty easily... If it is unsafe to shoot a deer, it is just as unsafe to shoot a coyote with the same gun...
      That makes sense. Also, what reasoning is there for not allowing archery hunting on small parcels? Deer might cross the boundary and trigger a vegetarian?

Comment

The same folks who are against killing deer in areas like that will be the ones ticked off that their gardenias and roses are being eaten by the deer once the population gets out of hand and the deer start browsing on their landscaping. But instead of allowing local hunters to keep the balance in check, while enjoying fresh venison as a bonus, they'll vote to pay to have the animals either netted or darted and relocated, or a company to come in and kill them "humanely" of course, that will in turn tick off the animal rights activists who probably started all of this in the first place...and the cycle will never end

Comment

In other news.... Comal county might be the best place in the state to shoot a big buck on an 11 acre parcel..... ROFL

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
            In other news.... Comal county might be the best place in the state to shoot a big buck on an 11 acre parcel..... ROFL

You sir win the internet today!!

Comment

Here is another set of interesting minutes:

And this video is telling (somehow air guns translated into "rifles")

Live and Recorded Public meetings of Commissioners Court for Comal County, TX

Comment

So now instead of small land owners buying license and harvesting deer on their property now we will be PAYING government agents to “remove overpopulated deer”. Tax dollars put to good use. What a joke

Comment

I grew up and lived in Comal County for a number of years. At one point they were going to make it illegal to shoot a deer on less than 20 acres.

To be fair, I can see there point to an extent. There are numerous small tracts along the lake. I just don't see how you can responsibly hunt on less than 10 acres.

I hunted a buddy of mines place that was close to the house that was 10.11 acres. I was always in fear of me arrowing a deer and it making it across the property line. I did shoot a deer once and it died at the fence.

I can see both sides to the argument

Comment

The general issue here is:

1. Any attack on hunting and the second amendment is an attack on all rights an the rights of our children when we are gone.

2. In the famous words of Forest Gump "Stupid is as Stupid does" you can't stop stupidity. If not an air gun, how about a baseball? Yard Dart? Go Cart? All of these and thousands of other items are greater danger (and have documented cases) of hurting bystanders. So why not ordinance against everything we do that might have a "percieved" danger??

Watch the video - 3 liberal lefties "that moved to the country to enjoy it" got this passed. How pathetic are the comal county commissioners?

Comment

Someone needs to change the billboard on 35.

Comal? Too late.

Rest of Texas still great.

Comment

looks to me like it only applies to subdivisions-- different from acreage tracts.

also, I have to say after reading the minutes that the OP has dramatized things quite a bit... to the point of mischaracterization I'd say.

Comment

If challenged they would lose I think.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                            looks to me like it only applies to subdivisions-- different from acreage tracts.

also, I have to say after reading the minutes that the OP has dramatized things quite a bit... to the point of mischaracterization I'd say.
                            Aha. Fake news.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

12) Discuss and consider approval of Order #430 - Prohibiting the Discharge of
                              Firearms and Airguns in Subdivisions
                              Judge Sherman Krause stated it was about two months ago that some citizens’ commented on the use of Airguns for hunting in subdivisions of 10-acres or less. Judge Krause stated it did not matter what drove the projectile gunpowder or air, it still presented the same danger that the Court considered in 1987 when it prohibited firearms. This Order adds Airguns to that restriction.

Commissioner Donna Eccleston stated it is putting the Order in line with the
                              definition by the State. We have had this Order in place since 1987, over 30-years.

Commissioner Donna Eccleston made a motion, seconded by Commissioner Scott Haag to approve Action Agenda Item #12.

Discussion ensued.

Judge Krause asked Tillman Roots, Assistant Criminal District Attorney his
                              opinion on recent Legislation adding Airguns to the definition. Mr. Roots stated the Legislation was in 2013. It authorized Commissioners Court to regulate the discharge of Firearms and Airguns. It added Airguns in 2013.

Commissioner Kevin Webb requested clarification. This does not apply to
                              squirrels building nests attics or starlings stirring up plums or figs. It does not apply to those sort of depredations. Mr. Roots stated that is correct. There is an exclusion for vermin and pest control.

Commissioner Donna Eccleston stated the .177 caliber is below a regular 22.
                              There is not much difference. Most Airguns and Pellet guns just use a pellet.

Commissioner Kevin Webb stated the only other problem he sees is multiple lots. Someone may assume it is fine to hunt because of total acreage. This specifically says lots 10-acres or smaller. The problem is with the statute. He hopes law enforcement would use their judgement. He did not think that was the intent. It is 10-acres contiguous and total that he would like to see enforced.

Commissioner Jen Crownover stated she received a few phone calls over this
                              Agenda Item. If the old Order and the new Order are laid side by side, they mirror exactly with the one update. A few people have exploited the Airgun. Everything else stays in tact including defending property against vermin or predator control, and protection of person or property. Commissioner Crownover stated she discussed it with Commissioner Scott Haag. They made sure that was still included. It is not infringing, it is updating for the times.

Commissioner Kevin Webb stated the Airgun technology has increased. They
                              now have the capabilities of a high-powered rifle. The ones they are using to kill deer have to be 30-calibur or larger. A projectile heavier than 150 grains and moving 100 feet per second. That is just below the capabilities of an old school 30/30.

Commissioner Donna Eccleston stated there have been changes in technology in every aspect over the last 30-years. Everybody else has kept pace with improvements. She is pleased they are filling a loophole or gray area in the existing Order. As stated by Commissioner Crownover, it mirrors exactly except for the addition provided by the State.

Commissioner Scott Haag stated he spoke with the Sheriff. He looked at the
                              Order. He approves of it and supports it.

Judge Krause stated Commissioner Scott Haag took the lead on this following
                              the presentation a few weeks ago. He appreciated the efforts he put into it.

End of discussion.

All voting "AYE," the motion carried

Comment

Working...
                              X