Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Opening day deer of lifetime

End of an Era brings new Opportunities.

The first part of the story doesn’t have much to do with the buck I was lucky enough to take on opening day, so for those that just wanted Saturdays story, you can skip down to the second part. Sorry for being long winded. I’ll try to keep it short. Lol

It all started in 2007. My step dad asked if I would like to get on a lease outside San Angelo with him and some friends of ours. Of course as any hunting fool would do, I jumped at the chance! Over the next 11 years, I made more hunting memories than I ever dreamed possible. I was 12 years old when I got on that lease, so I basically grew up hunting it. There were years that were far better hunting wise than other years, but it didn’t matter to me. Every trip I made out there and back home, all I could think about was getting back out to the lease. The area was special to me. I could type and type all night and still not put into words what that 500 acre area I hunted really meant to me. It was special, and it still is to this day. Very few days go by that I don’t think about past memories there.

In 2014 the landowners brother passed and he sold his half of the place. I was bummed. It was where my stand was, and where I thought I would hunt forever. Still a little bummed, I just kept telling myself, at least we still have some of the place. That summer I moved to the other half of the ranch that was staying in our landowners possession. Through the next few years I fell in love with this area, just as I had my original spot just a mile or so away. Some good bucks, as well as a lot of doe fell in the coming years as I moved around to a few different spots on the now only 1,100 acres. In 2017 I killed my best buck on the new side of the ranch. Like I said before, I had already become attracted to the new area, but that main frame 11 hunt really put the Icing on the cake. Going into the spring of the ‘18 season things were slowly falling apart in front of our eyes. There were some disagreements between lease manager and landowner, and to simply put it, the landowner was going in a different direction and we would be co-hunting the place with their family, but still paying the same. We dropped it. I was devastated. I knew I still had my hunting group, but the land, that piece of property, I wasn’t ready to see it for the last time. I truly didn’t think I’d ever see the day.

We went back and forth trying to come to an agreement, but nothing was ever reached. That was it, February of ‘18 we notified them we would come get our stuff. I was bummed to say the least. It was one of my favorite places on earth and now I’d never see it again. I share all that, because if I were to choose I would have always hunted that ranch, but looking back now, it’s funny how things worked out.

This was the end of an era for me as a Bow Hunter.

Here is the part that actually pertains to this story of a special buck.

Going into the ‘18 season I started looking for places in the area. I actually found a few good places with good people. But life happened. My wife and I were going to have a baby boy. I put the lease search on hold for the ‘18 season.

This spring, Jared Zoch messaged me and said they had an opening in Water Valley not 5 miles from where I had spent so many years hunting. After conversing back and forth about the place, I took the spot! I knew I would love it. The same area I had hunted all those years, just a little down the road. Huge relief to finally be back hunting out west! Ended up getting my spot setup around the end of February just in time to start the spring growing season. As the summer progressed, it was easily seen that we had some very special mature deer on the place. I truly could not have met a better group of people. I’ll call these men friends from here on out no matter where we all end up.

The dog days of summer drug by, but with each protein/work weekend that went by the season was inching closer. Around July or August we really started pinpointing our bigger end deer. For me there were only 2 deer. A big giant freak of a West Texas buck, and a monster 8pt. That was all I needed to see. I had made my mind up. It was one of them or nothing. I actually never got the big 8 on my feeder, but I did get him on the water trough, just 200 yards or so from my blind. The other deer showed at mine a few times. One time being 7AM in broad daylight. I also got him on the water trough a few times. As September got here he was still on our lease fairly frequent. He would frequent a few feeders every so often, especially after rice bran. This deer was a traveler. He was hitting 2 different feeders over a mile apart. Going into opening weekend, I told most of the guys it was him or bust. I had my heart set on hunting him.

The Hunt

We arrived to camp Friday to hot temperatures and some overcast. I was fired up. I don’t know if I slept at all that Friday night, just knowing another hunting season was upon us. I had turned my covert off the week before due to my picture count nearing 5,000 and I knew I would be there hunting soon enough. It would be a semi surprise on what deer were still coming in. Saturday morning brought an awesome hunt, it was a little warm, but the overcast sure made it nice in the blind. I saw numerous smaller bucks and quite a few doe. I had maybe 15-20 deer in on me that morning, so I hoped the rest of the weekend would bring the same movement. We messed around at camp midday and I caught a pretty good nap from the night before of no sleep. Lol. Hookem84 here on TBH actually came and woke me up. I guess I had forgotten to set a alarm. Lol. I threw my clothes on as quick as I could and got in the stand about 5:15-5:30.

It was HOT! Those potbelly blinds have zero airflow, unless you open up all the windows in that sucker! I was past the point of worrying about scent, so I opened all the windows and caught a good breeze. I talked to God for a good while, way longer than normal. It was “different” than all the times before... At 6:15 when the feeder went off, I shut all the windows back. The afternoon picked up right where the morning left off. Deer coming from every direction. Around 6, I had a pretty good 8 point come in and push most everything off the corn. He acted like it was late November and he was ready to go! He chased and grunted, made scraps and rubs all over the place. Like I said, he was in full blown rut action in September!

As more deer come and go, I am just enjoying the evening. At 7:15 I hear a deers legs clip the feed pen around my protein feeder. I can’t see the protein feeder, but didn’t think too much about it when none of the deer in front of me really even acknowledged another deer. For some reason, I stuck my head to the edge of the blind and there he was. I couldn’t believe it. No way JAD Is standing 20 yards from me and not one single deer is even lifting their head. As he made his way in I got my bow and readied for the shot. He came between me and the corn line. He was about 14 yards when he stopped. I get ready to draw and as I do, the 8 turns around and postures up to him. He pinned his ears back and bristled up like he wanted a fight. JAD Left!! JAD wanted no part of it and ran to my right then out behind my feeder 40-50 yards away. I was thinking you’ve got to be kidding me. This little 8 has completely pushed a 160” deer completely off the corn. To my surprise JAD circles back around and comes back in to his original spot on the corn. I start getting ready for the shot only to have the small 8 do it again! JAD went out to 50 yards and stood there. He eventually circled back around to the same spot on the corn. Third time was not the charm, because the 8 did the same exact thing. He wanted JAD to have no part of his feeder. At this point, I think anger started to overshadow buck fever! Lol. I could not believe what was happening. JAD circles back in for a fourth and final time. He’s actually closer this time, and I actually drew before he got to the corn. Well, here comes the 8 push him off again. This time Jad turns the opposite direction and quarters to me instead of directly away. I saw my hole and against everything I believe, I decided to take that shot. If I had to do it over, on a deer of this caliber, I wouldn’t have taken that shot. I got tunnel vision and like all bowhunter’s made a bad judgment, only by the grace of God it worked out for me. I found the crease between his shoulder and his neck, steadied my pin and let him have it. Release of the arrow, I thought why would you do that. He ran out to 20 yards, cut left, and when he did blood sprayed out. I could see I got what looked to be about a ft of penetration. I thanked God for the opportunity at such an animal, and really started feeling good about he blood I saw.

After 30 minutes or so, I got down. Instantly found blood, good blood. I started really thinking In my head, I killed the biggest deer of my life. 45 minutes or so in I decided to trail a little bit and just look for the arrow. I followed the blood down into the creek 30 yards or so from the feeder and was actually about to stop and back out, when I rounded the corner and there he was!! Again, I could type all night trying to explain what I felt at that moment, but I’d never do it. All I kept saying out loud is, I’m so lucky to be a bowhunter. I thanked God and instantly thought, I want everyone here to enjoy this! I headed to camp to get some of the guys to go back and pick up JAD! We were all chasing him, there’s no arguing that, but when the guys that were chasing him are just as pumped that you got him as they would be for themselves, that’s the hunters you surround yourself with! There were high fives, hugs and congratulations all around. It was a special night and a special weekend with as good of group of people as you could ask for. Didn’t know what to expect from this lease, when I first got on, I just knew I wanted back out west. Luckily for me I ended up with some great memories, but even more some awesome guys! It just doesn’t get any better than that. Thanks, Jzoch for the opportunity to join such a great place. This being my first year on the lease I did not have any prior history with this deer, but the rest of the lease did. They had seen him last year as a 130” 4YO. He exploded this summer.

JAD camp scored 170” on the dot and had a live weight of 194lbs.

Lucky to be a bowhunter.
    Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TheHammer; 10-01-2019, 09:21 PM.

Heck of a buck! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hell of a buck, saw it on the gram

Comment

Wow

Comment

Congrats. Amazing buck.

Comment

Realized I never posted a front view.

Comment

Super deer. Congratulations!

Comment

Wowser, what a deer!
                Congrats!!

Comment

BEAST! Awesome story, thanks for sharing. Congrats

Comment

Wow man!!! Congrats on a heck of a deer!!!! Great write up

Comment

Great write up Hunter!! Couldn’t of asked for a better guy to get on the lease. I know I’ve said it a million times by now but congratulations on a heck of a west Texas monarch whitetail!! He’s one we will never forget and a true testament of what this group has been able to achieve and will continue to do so in the years to come. Buck of a lifetime. Truly glad we could share that special moment with you.

Comment

Great buck and pics!Congrats

Comment

That will work. Congratulations

Comment

Congrats again hunter. I’ll never forget your face at the corral when you told me you shot jad. I knew before you said anything.

Comment

Nice job on the write up. God blessed you with an incredibly special buck. You definitely deserve it. I'm super happy for you, Hunter.

That really made my day even better when I got the kill text from you, with your good news. Congrats again...He's one heck of a deer!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X