Electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical question

I plugged in the Christmas tree in our living room and found we have a dead outlet. No breaker has thrown. This outlet is at the end of a circuit with four others around the room, all of which work. I removed the outlet and tested directly to the wires - nothing. (No GFCI on this circuit BTW.) what should I check next? Could a connection have come loose between this outlet and the previous one on the circuit?

Or maybe the outlet is tied into a light switch.

Comment

In for an answer on this, I’ve got the same problem here at deer camp all outlets work except one. I even pulled outlet out of wall and put my tongue on wire and nothing

Comment

I plugged something in one time and it shook the wires loose for the rest of the run. I would start at the next receptacle or switch on the run. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you can determine the outlet right before the dead one, make sure that the wire going to the dead one is good there. Be careful!

Comment

Jerp...yes. Check the connections at the previous outlet. Sometimes receptacle housing bodies will break randomly or wires come loose.

If Im not mistaken on a newer home the connections should all be in the receptacle box. Older homes...seems like the connections are often a rats nest in a switch box.

If the wires were pigtailed together check those connections too. Ive seen two wires just laid together...not twisted... and wire nutted. The laid together wires can develop corrosion from bad contact and it develops a disconnect.

Merry Festivus Jerp.
            Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rem40x View Post
              Or maybe the outlet is tied into a light switch.
              This. Check closest switch

Comment

Back of the plug rec. can crack if they used the stab-in connections and put it in a bind when they set the plug. I hate those things. They're faster I guess but I don't use em.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. On a side note don’t you love it when the construction electrician doesn’t clearly label the breakers?

Comment

Was the 'dead' outlet on a different breaker?

Comment

one of the answers above will / should work. If not, just ask again.

Comment

Pee on it followed up with a good swift kick.

Comment

It’s probably the the reception that is feeding it. The power is going in but not coming out. It happens a lot when they use the stabs on the back of the reception. The stab ins should be outlawed

Comment

Sounds like a loose wire from the previous plug or ad mentioned closest light switch.
                            All you need is a loose neutral and that’ll give you a headache until you find it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X