Time frame for tagging lost deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time frame for tagging lost deer

If someone shoots at a deer but is unable to find it after a lengthy search, but then it is found a few days later do they have to tag it? What is the time frame? 2 days? 2 weeks? I’m not asking about management numbers, obviously it is dead, what about counting it on their tag?

Interesting question that I've never thought about. I'll add... What if 2-3 days had passed in a 1 buck county and the deer was presumed to have been missed or not hit in vitals and then another buck was taken? After the second buck was taken, the first buck was found dead. Would a law have been broken and does the first have to be tagged?

Comment

Seems simple...
      If you shoot it, it dies, you tag it.

Probably aught to ask the Man.

Comment

I posed this question to a GW once when a deer I had killed was lost then later found when buzzards showed us. He told me if I was sure that it was my deer then I should tag it. But he also mentioned that a person can pickup a random dead head or antlers off the ground without tagging it. I ended up tagging it and euro mounting it bc I knew it was mine.
        Last edited by Txhuntr2; 11-25-2019, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Good question, about the possibility of having already used the tag on another deer?

Comment

This is why good tracking dogs are a conservation tool. When a hunter shoots a buck and can’t find it they can just shoot another buck. When a dog recovers a lost deer, the hunter still gets to tag it.

Comment

Originally posted by 98ag View Post
              If someone shoots at a deer but is unable to find it after a lengthy search, but then it is found a few days later do they have to tag it? What is the time frame? 2 days? 2 weeks? I’m not asking about management numbers, obviously it is dead, what about counting it on their tag?
              The short answer is no. After a search has been done and the deer wasn't found, there are no tagging requirements.

Now if you find it and still want it then tag it. Pretty simple imo. You killed the deer, but the meat has spoiled, and you still want the head and antlers? Tag it.

Comment

my brother and dad once found a good buck on our lease. the game warden came out and my brother wanted to keep it. he told my brother that he could take the horns but to do so he had to burn a tag on it.

my though is that if you want to claim a recently killed deer (no meat or not) during deer season you have to tag it.

Comment

I shot a 9 point in Kansas a few years ago. We could not find it. I was sick. ASU-Indian and my nephew found it the following summer a mile from where it was shot. They brought me the horns/skull. Was I supposed to have tagged it?

Comment

If i did everything in my power and i can honestly say i thought he/she made it and find it days later.

Not burning a tag unless it was lease rules or land owner. Then it is not big deal. I will put a tag on it.

Comment

I would not tag it....but on my lease I'd consider myself done buck hunting.

Comment

I'm not wasting time. That's why I carry my thermal with me. Don't have to worry about a blood trail.

Comment

Follow your heart. Are you sure it's yours? If so tag it.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            I shot a 9 point in Kansas a few years ago. We could not find it. I was sick. ASU-Indian and my nephew found it the following summer a mile from where it was shot. They brought me the horns/skull. Was I supposed to have tagged it?
                            No, you get the "Burnadell" exemption, only trumped by the "Chuck Norris" exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                              Yes you heathen outlaw. Nothing more than a poacher in the woods!

What would you do after already eating the tag soup?

Comment

Working...
                              X