Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Veterans, does it make you uncomfortable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

every year the same question...

Comment

Yes, I usually say your welcome or thank you. I served for my reasons and not for a thanks or a discount. I was a child during Vietnam and those veterans along with Korea and WWII have always been my heroes. Maybe I feel guilt that I am getting a thanks when those veterans of Vietnam did not and they deserve it more than I do. I have not replaced my Marine Corps cap for this reason.

Comment

Yup, it does. Usually i just respond with a you’re welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
          it was my honor to serve this nation; no thanks necessary.
          This is the way I feel too.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
            It used to, probably because I didn't know what to say. Now when someone thanks me, I say "Thank you for your support".

yep......

Comment

Yep.

Comment

Veterans, does it make you uncomfortable?

Know that you guys are appreciated. I feel weird thanking folks I don’t know, for their service. I try to pick up a bill every now and then without being weird. but we don’t see many servicemen/women around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-12-2019, 11:14 PM.

Comment

I was in a bar in downtown Ft Worth several years back, with my cousins wedding party. There were a group of 12-15 marines at a table not far from ours. We had a good time with them, bought them a round, and they all danced with the bride and donated a couple bucks to the jar the girls were passing around for her. I guess they were having a similar party as most were in dress unis, they were all super respectful and a blast to hang out with. Anyway a scrum broke out, I don’t think it was anything to do with them, but I couldn’t tell, wasn’t much to it anyway. Either way they all left quick and left one guy at the bar waiting to pay the tab. He was looking super nervous watching the door so I asked if he needed to get gone. He said “yes sir, but I need to pay up first.” The beer tenders was way behind, I said man we will take care of it, get out of here before you get in trouble. He tried to refuse but finally shook my hand and thanked me. My brother in law and I laughed for 20 minutes about those men and women trying to get wherever they needed to get in uniform, without getting in trouble. When we payed the tab the bartender said 4 people had offered to pay it.. It was a fun night, I’ve never enjoyed a hangover that much since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A little but as it has become more common to be thanked and especially since it says veteran on my TDL and lots of places are generously offering discounts it happens more often so I have become more comfortable with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                      A little but as it has become more common to be thanked and especially since it says veteran on my TDL and lots of places are generously offering discounts it happens more often so I have become more comfortable with it.
                      CHL too

Comment

Originally posted by Craw3773 View Post
                        I heard a great line the other day. "If you want to thank a veteran, be an American worth fighting for" thought I might share

Yep, saw it on crack book as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I say, hope it weren’t all for nuthin

Comment

Originally posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
                            every year the same question...
                            So why did you respond if it gets old? I never saw it posted before.

What was saying folks is I got out in '82. Sure no one was thanking me then and I didn't think they should. Those folks 10 years older than me got a whole lot worse reception.

Why it makes me awkward is because no one cared for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by AlaskaFlyerFan View Post
                              Now when someone thanks me, I say "Thank you for your support".

So simple and so easy......both walk away feeling good....

Comment

Yeah, it makes me a little uneasy. Honestly, the time I spent in the service was probably the smartest thing I ever did.

Comment

Working...
                                X