Question for ice & drain crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for ice & drain crowd

I always keep my deer and pigs quartered on ice for 3-5 days, draining and re-icing as necessary until I debone the meat. I have stretched it to 6 days but never longer. Today is day 6 and I need to debone it tonight but I will have more time tomorrow. Is 7 days ok? What's the longest you've waited?

Yes.

Comment

you're good to go. i keep mine on ice for about 7 days or so. some folks go 10 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
        I always keep my deer and pigs quartered on ice for 3-5 days, draining and re-icing as necessary until I debone the meat. I have stretched it to 6 days but never longer. Today is day 6 and I need to debone it tonight but I will have more time tomorrow. Is 7 days ok? What's the longest you've waited?
        I've iced em down for 14 days before...zero issues

Comment

I have left a deer as long as 10 days as long as the cooler is full of ice and the drain is always open you should be fine.

Comment

Thanks... I figured it would be fine. I was just used to getting it deboned within 6 days or so and wasn't sure.

Comment

My vote is - good to go.

Comment

I done 10 or 12.....zero issues.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                  I have left a deer as long as 10 days as long as the cooler is full of ice and the drain is always open you should be fine.
                  Drain Open?

Are you supposed to leave it open?
                  I'm new to this ice and drain. Last year I did it for 3 days. I wasn't really happy with results. Meat just seemed kinda saturated with water.....

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

Drain open and I tilt my chest so water never accumulates.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                      Drain Open?

I'm new to this ice and drain. Last year I did it for 3 days. I wasn't really happy with results. Meat just seemed kinda saturated with water.....

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.
                      Yes. Tilt the cooler with a brick, log or whatever to let the water and blood drain. You don't want the meat sitting in ice or blood.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                        Drain open and I tilt my chest so water never accumulates.

This is what I do

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                          Drain Open?

Yes, leave the drain open so it doesn't soak the meat, replenish ice as necessary. Don't listen to the " it draws the blood out" crowd, fresh water just don't work that way because physics.

It likely won't ruin the meat if it soaks but it makes it pretty gross and doesn't have any benefit.

But yeah 7 days should be alright.

Comment

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge with me [emoji1303][emoji1303]

Comment

I shot a doe Saturday morning, still on ice and draining. Will process it Sunday. I have gone as many as 12 days before.

Comment

Working...
                              X