No announcement yet.

To Shoot or Not to Shoot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had my target buck picked out but when I saw him on hoof I let him walk. I guess when you know you know.

Comment

We all hunt for similar yet different reasons. Some folks are pure meat hunters while others are pure trophy/antler hunters and a whole lot of hunters between. I would say that unless you just want to have a longer season to keep hunting or you have a number in mind for score that he doesn't meet, I would think that buck would meet most guys shooter requirements. Mature, meat, nice not broke up rack and he is showing up during the day (a buck in the light is worth one hundred at night). Good luck with your decisions but I don't think I would pass if he walked across me. Happy hunting!

Comment

All day errrry day

Comment

Shoot

Comment

Love the big symmetrical 8s, but when I've had to think about it and then decided yes I've sometimes regretted it. The ones I don't have to think about before shooting have always caused no regrets. On that particular deer for me, I'd send a Muzzy his way. Your circumstances and mileage may vary.

Comment

on my place he might be on he list

Comment

shoot

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                  If your having to ask the question then don’t shoot him if you wouldn’t be happy with him it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks about him all that matters is what you think about him . So if you have another lease member that would be proud of him then let him take him if not just let him live . And you keep on hunting for what your really looking for don’t settle just in sake of shooting a buck . Eventually one will walk out in front of you that you like and all your time and patience will pay off . Good luck to you and on what you decide.
                  Yep......100%.....wonderful answer IMOP. It's up to you, what you want to do, and who cares what anyone else thinks. (btw, there is great freedom in that way of thinking)

I'll elaborate.....apologies if this gets long....hehehe

I've got a den and office full of 120" to low 150" 's. I have passed so many similar deer over the past 20 years that people think I've lost my mind.....just can't do it. Pics and video of em but no shoot. I made up my mind I wasn't shooting unless the buck was mature and definitely as good, or better, than my best or "on the mend" aka oooold.
                  I'd rather my son or some young kid get em as they'd get that thrill from em that I once did.

I still get a great thrill when he steps out in the open or I see him cruising through the brush. In fact it still gives me the same thrill it did over 45 years ago.....can't say that about much of anything else. I'm just way more discriminating about "pulling the trigger."

I realize many on here would think I've lost my mind too, or that I've gone "soft." (maybe I have) I just get such a thrill from seeing a younger hunter all excited over getting em rather than myself tacking another set of horns on a board.

I've also grown to appreciate watching the world wake up in a brushed in blind rather than worrying about killing a buck. I use to be known as a hunter that killed a good un every year which played into ego..... haven't cared about ego in many years. In an odd way it's very satisfying to put myself in position, then not pull the trigger.

It's very difficult to bust a 160"+ in my part of the world so I may reach the end of my earthly journey never having done it.... I'm fine with that. I guess I'm more of a hunter now than a killer. I guess I just enjoy and appreciate the process more than the result nowadays.

To each his own and I realize I'm in the minority. Chasing deer all over h#'ll has brought great joy to my life. So many fireside BS sessions laughing my arse off. So many lessons learned from my elders. At some point I simply realized there was much more to it other than ego.

I hope everyone that hunts ethically enjoys great success this year!
                  Last edited by Slicefixer; 10-31-2019, 06:49 AM.

Comment

If he flips your switch and you are happy, shoot!

Comment

If it isn't an immediate decision when he steps out then don't shoot. I have never regretted taking a buck that as soon as he stepped out I knew I was shooting him, but I have regretted taking a couple of different bucks that I had to decide on whether I should shoot them or not.

Comment

Isn't that buck in 2012 the one that Clay killed up front? And with regards to shoot or no shoot...….. every set of horns I have (and you've seen all of them) are a trophy to me. I don't care what a one of them score or measure because they all represent something that I enjoy doing...……….hunting and being outdoors.
                        Now quit posting questions and get your gear together or your gonna be on dishwashing duty all weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by dawgkllr View Post
                          Isn't that buck in 2012 the one that Clay killed up front? And with regards to shoot or no shoot...….. every set of horns I have (and you've seen all of them) are a trophy to me. I don't care what a one of them score or measure because they all represent something that I enjoy doing...……….hunting and being outdoors.
                          Now quit posting questions and get your gear together or your gonna be on dishwashing duty all weekend!
                          LoL, I don't think Clay killed that buck. Thought he was strictly a doe slayer lol. It might be too cold for me this weekend

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

If you have to ask and he does not make your heart jump, maybe pass till you see one that does. If you just want meat on the ground then shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter74 View Post
                              If you have to ask and he does not make your heart jump, maybe pass till you see one that does. If you just want meat on the ground then shoot.
                              Not much makes my heart jump these days. Sad, or bad to say, but after years and years of hunting, I like being outdoors and if I shoot, okay, if I don't shoot, well okay also.

Probably why I need to hunt something meaner and "mo-bad" than deer lol. Probably, at this moment while typing this, I am hunting man, not for a man for my gay buddies, but to have him arrested by the constable on a contempt warrant. But, if the fancy hits me, I will lay this deer down.....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by DFWPI; 10-31-2019, 07:48 AM.

Comment

140" 8pt is a very large frame and not behind every bush. Take him and be proud, he's a good one.

Comment

Working...
                                X