Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-15-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
TXUSMC
Eight Point

Default Service DEF System???

2016 Ram/Cummins threw a P207F code. I’m at 47k miles. I read it is under the 5 year/50k mike warranty. Anybody had this issue before? I also heard/read once those issues start they are more prone to happening again. Would I be better off deleting? I also know there’s an EGR flush required at around 70k miles that costs as much as the full delete kit. Just looking for anyone with first hand experience on this.
TXUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
Calrob
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet, Joppa, Wilco, My backyard

No help to you but I just bought a '19 ram dually and dont like hearing that!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Calrob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

I had the same issue, I believe it was the same code. DEF pump failure.
12RingKing is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
Gulfcoastin
Four Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, TX

I just bought a 2019 megacab, I don't want any issues!
Gulfcoastin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #5
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I drive a 17' deleted. I cant exactly recommend deleting todat though, and have specifically thought about getting back into an emissions intact truck.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #6
Texasbeanie
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere it's free

If you delete it keep all the parts tagged and bagged in your shop. If you ever need to put it back on it would cost a bunch if you don’t have them.
If you have the truck fixed by a capable technician you shouldn’t have any higher % of problems then when it was new.
Texasbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #7
TXUSMC
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RingKing View Post
I had the same issue, I believe it was the same code. DEF pump failure.
Covered by the dealer? How many miles when you experienced it?
Old 02-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
TXUSMC
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
I drive a 17' deleted. I cant exactly recommend deleting todat though, and have specifically thought about getting back into an emissions intact truck.
Care to elaborate?
Old 02-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #9
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

I would think at that mileage you should be covered.
I would love to delete my truck, but worry about future consequences.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #10
PYBUCK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Upton County

My 2013 started showing that at about 78k. Mine was a bad catalytic converter. Under warranty to 75k. $2500 to replace it. I deleted mine. About 6 months later I get a recall to replace the convertor. Take yours to the dealer before warranty expires and get them to check it out. May have a recall that still covered.
PYBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #11
HunterH
Spike

Hunt In: jack county

They tend to be troublesome on trucks that are treated more as a mall crawler. My personal truck 2014, wife drives it 10 miles to work, shuts it off, drives around town at lunch on short trips, and drives back out to the house. It had the complete scr/dpf replaced twice under warranty at less than 60k miles. It also had the def nozzle and pump go out. Needless to say, it lost some weight when it was out of warranty. My service trucks, 2012 and 2016, both emissions intact, never had a problem. Loaded with utility bed, on highway 99% of the time, and pulling 10k plus often. At 190k on the 2016.
HunterH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 08:50 AM   #12
TXUSMC
Eight Point

Drove to the dealer, they said the code is a stored code, not active. Also that DEF equipment is classified as electronics, not power train, therefore out of warranty coverage. They said drive it a while and see if the CEL clears. Drove about 40 miles, stopped and got new DEF. When I got back in the CEL was gone. Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #13
Micahbo
Four Point

Hunt In: Bastrop County and Lampasas County

I threw that code in my 2013. I was keeping the DEF tank topped off, but DEF goes bad as it gets older. Started only putting DEF in when I was almost out, haven't had a problem since.
Micahbo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #14
Hunter_Man
Ten Point

Mine did it last year. 2016 ram. 2000$ to replace def pump or 1600$ to delete and tune. Guess which route I went? Delete and never worry again.
Hunter_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #15
RGH217
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: All over Texas. Hill Country mostly

I had a similar issue on a 13 ram 2500. I was storing DEF bought at the pump in an older DEF jug and it sat in my shop for 6 months. I was low and put it in the truck before heading out on a travel trailer trip. Threw the same code as you stated. The DEF had degraded and was not as efficient as it was supposed to be. I ran it down to almost empty (was not affecting the running of my truck) filled back up with fresh DEF and cleared the code and it never came back on. I currently have a 2017 ram 3500 dully and have had no issues. Good luck.
RGH217 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 01:13 PM   #16
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXUSMC View Post
Drove to the dealer, they said the code is a stored code, not active. Also that DEF equipment is classified as electronics, not power train, therefore out of warranty coverage. They said drive it a while and see if the CEL clears. Drove about 40 miles, stopped and got new DEF. When I got back in the CEL was gone. Hopefully it stays that way.

I would challenge them on that. I would think it’s part of the emissions system which is covered to 80k miles.

This is speculation on my part but I’d sure look into it further before I took their word for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 01:14 PM   #17
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

Haven't had the issue with any of my 4th gen rams, but I had my DEF heater go out on my 2014 6.7 powerstroke. Dealer wanted 750 to fix it. I used that money for a programmer and deletes.
Arrowthreat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #18
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowthreat View Post
Haven't had the issue with any of my 4th gen rams, but I had my DEF heater go out on my 2014 6.7 powerstroke. Dealer wanted 750 to fix it. I used that money for a programmer and deletes.
Same thing happened to me on my ‘14 6.7 powerstroke. Ticks me off because Ford knows they’ve had an issue with the DEF heater going bad in the DEF tank. So much so that they issued an “extended warranty” customer satisfaction period for the 2011-2015 models. They should have issued a recall on the **** things IMO. Mine started throwing the P20BA code last summer but the “stealership” wouldn’t warranty it because I had just exceeded the 120K mile mark They wanted $1100 to replace the $180 part. I haven’t gotten it fixed yet but absolutely hate riding around with a CEL on.

Below is a link to their customer “dis-satisfaction” program A**holes!

https://ford.oemdtc.com/3768/custome...d-f-super-duty
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #19
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Mine does that every time I run it bone dry, fill it back up and it goes away. Hopefully yours isn't serious.
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 08:27 AM   #20
TXUSMC
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Mine does that every time I run it bone dry, fill it back up and it goes away. Hopefully yours isn't serious.
When the CEL came on my DEF gauge was just over 1/4 tank. Maybe I have gauge problems. Putting DEF in cleared it.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:36 AM   #21
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County

Hope they dont crack down on deletes soon. One reason i dont want to get a diesel. 1500/2500. Cost of repair and known emissions issues along with if they crack down alot of people are going to be getting rich off the guys that deleted and threw out all the emissions stuff.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #22
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Delete delete delete.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 10:03 AM   #23
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.str View Post
Hope they dont crack down on deletes soon. One reason i dont want to get a diesel. 1500/2500. Cost of repair and known emissions issues along with if they crack down alot of people are going to be getting rich off the guys that deleted and threw out all the emissions stuff.
My speculation is the only "crack down" happens when someone drives their deleted truck like they stole it, leaving clouds of black smoke every chance they get. The the officer will go out of his way to write a ticket for exhaust.

Those folks that properly tune their delete, that put a muffler on to calm down the noise, that aren't driving their 8500 lb trucks like a Ferrari will be just fine.

Last edited by WItoTX; 02-18-2020 at 10:04 AM. Reason: .
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 10:14 AM   #24
mudbone
Eight Point

Stupid question!! Can you delete the DEF from your system and not remove the total exhaust system?
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 10:19 AM   #25
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I had a 15 Ram dually that threw that code several times while I was under warranty, I traded the truck before I had to come out of pocket for any of the fixes. DEF is evil imo.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #26
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

I wouldn't be deleting any thing right now.
dgilbert is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #27
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
My speculation is the only "crack down" happens when someone drives their deleted truck like they stole it, leaving clouds of black smoke every chance they get. The the officer will go out of his way to write a ticket for exhaust.

Those folks that properly tune their delete, that put a muffler on to calm down the noise, that aren't driving their 8500 lb trucks like a Ferrari will be just fine.
There's a thread on here somewhere about some counties out East that have traffic sensors set out on the on ramps. Apparently that is supposed to be happening in areas that are struggling with air quality.
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #28
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
There's a thread on here somewhere about some counties out East that have traffic sensors set out on the on ramps. Apparently that is supposed to be happening in areas that are struggling with air quality.
I remember reading that one. I didn't see anyone that actually got a ticket that way though. Maybe I missed a post?
Old 02-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #29
TXUSMC
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
Stupid question!! Can you delete the DEF from your system and not remove the total exhaust system?
You’ll clog everything up if you don’t take it off.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:50 PM   #30
TXUSMC
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgilbert View Post
I wouldn't be deleting any thing right now.
Inside info?
Old 03-01-2020, 09:38 AM   #31
dgilbert
Ten Point

I too also had a code come up regarding the DEF problem before reading this thread and had O Reilly to delete it on my truck.

After reading this thread the light came on again. I went back to O Reilly's again to see if was the same code, well it wasn't. A code of P04E3 came up, something to do with crankshaft ventilation. I googled it and that code had a repair bulletin attached to the code with a extended warranty to 120,000 miles.

I went to the Ford dealership and he confirm the bulletin and would repair it. I asked him him about the DEF problem and he confirmed it as well.

I have now a appointment for the repairs this week, so I guess we will see. Service was very nice in taking care of both issues.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #32
Nova
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the Piney Woods

Quote:
Care to elaborate?
I can't speak for him but an acquaintance of mine was pulling a travel trailer near yellow stone last summer when they had an emissions break down. Ford did not have the parts and could not get them in a timely manner. They directed them to a diesel shop who did a delete on their truck.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. They were in Glenrose at Dinosaur Valley when they were pulled over by DPS for going 2mph over. He wrote them a ticket for tint, warning for 2 over, and then looked under her truck and wrote her an emissions ticket.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2020, 12:18 PM   #33
Ilik2hunt
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowthreat View Post
I to had mine go out on a 14 6.7, ford ended up covering it as a extension of your warranty,it is not a recall ,I don't know the difference between a extension and a recall but they covered it as long as I had the check engine light on when it went in the dealer
Ilik2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #34
Blownshelby
Four Point

“Hope they dont crack down on deletes soon. One reason i dont want to get a diesel. 1500/2500. Cost of repair and known emissions issues along with if they crack down alot of people are going to be getting rich off the guys that deleted and threw out all the emissions stuff.“

It’s coming! You can thank all the “coal rollers”
Just FYI I would rather delete, but I know that it’s about to get real expensive for the deleted crowd and the shops who are passing inspections on deleted trucks.
Blownshelby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2020, 12:31 PM   #35
CP121
Six Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I can't speak for him but an acquaintance of mine was pulling a travel trailer near yellow stone last summer when they had an emissions break down. Ford did not have the parts and could not get them in a timely manner. They directed them to a diesel shop who did a delete on their truck.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. They were in Glenrose at Dinosaur Valley when they were pulled over by DPS for going 2mph over. He wrote them a ticket for tint, warning for 2 over, and then looked under her truck and wrote her an emissions ticket.
Everybody I’ve heard of getting busted for it has been in the Stephenville/Glen Rose area.
CP121 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #36
dgilbert
Ten Point

Quote:
Inside info?
Nope, I just hear the crack down is coming. Been seeing alot of deleted trucks are being sold.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #37
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Can you delete the 2020 ford diesel? If not I might get the 7.3 gas
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #38
Boyd1212
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack County, Washington State

Quote:
Dodge tried that with me on my ecodiesel. I fought it and told them that it falls under emissions and I’m not paying a dime to fix my truck. They ended up covering it. I deleted my powerstroke so it never gives me emission issues anymore.
Boyd1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #39
TXUSMC
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP121 View Post
Everybody I’ve heard of getting busted for it has been in the Stephenville/Glen Rose area.
Well isn't that just peachy, right in my own back yard.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:47 PM   #40
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi513 View Post
I would think at that mileage you should be covered.
I would love to delete my truck, but worry about future consequences.
As well you should.... a crackdown is coming eventually. The government doesn't like being told F you.
ACCURACYINC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2020, 06:14 AM   #41
mudbone
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
As well you should.... a crackdown is coming eventually. The government doesn't like being told F you.
But I like telling them "F" you!!!!!!
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2020, 07:23 AM   #42
dgilbert
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
But I like telling them "F" you!!!!!!
I'm sure they would over look the delete for you then.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:54 AM   #43
WItoTX
Ten Point

Everyone saying there will be a crackdown. The crack down started years ago. The solution? Run a muffler, don't violate numerous laws, and don't drive like a ****** off teenager.

I've yet to see any on this site actually get the ticket that was 100% minding their own business and not driving like they were in the Indy 500. "I was only doing 62 in a 60" doesn't work when you got to 62 in 8 seconds with a big cloud of black smoke behind you. And no one is going to ever admit they drive like chit and deserved the ticket.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:00 AM   #44
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County

I personally think those guys are the ones that bring the topic to light. I 100% agree if i had one id go over a few bad speed bumps for it to "Fall Off". But im worried as usual in alot of these things we like here the few will ruin it for the majority. They will start visual inspections i bet you as it becomes more of a big deal to the EPA.

Quote:

scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2020, 08:57 AM   #45
Nova
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the Piney Woods

Quote:
Everyone saying there will be a crackdown. The crack down started years ago. The solution? Run a muffler, don't violate numerous laws, and don't drive like a ****** off teenager.

I've yet to see any on this site actually get the ticket that was 100% minding their own business and not driving like they were in the Indy 500. "I was only doing 62 in a 60" doesn't work when you got to 62 in 8 seconds with a big cloud of black smoke behind you. And no one is going to ever admit they drive like chit and deserved the ticket.
Good theory but not what happened in the case i mentioned.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #46
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Good theory but not what happened in the case i mentioned.
The very limited facts you present indicated they were violating multiple laws (Tint, emissions, speeding), in an area well documented that local PD hammer people for anything and everything.

Now, were they merging without signaling, accelerating hard, breaking any number of other stupid traffic laws? Potentially. Did they have a muffler installed? I have no idea.

On an unrelated note, I have a friend looking at new F250's and wanting to delete, and I have told him not to just because he lives in an area similar to Stephenville and Glen Rose that local PD will find any excuse to pull you over. I don't think it's a good idea to delete anymore, but I am sure there is more to every story than "I wasn't doing anything wrong". It reminds me of 278.