Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 11-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Thumbs down US Supreme Court allows Sandy Hook victims to sue Remington

Uh oh.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sco...nmaker-proceed

Quote:
In an order released Tuesday, the Supreme Court allowed families of Sandy Hook victims to proceed with a lawsuit against gun manufacturer Remington Arms despite the company's claims that it was protected from liability by federal law.

Remington had petitioned the Supreme Court to reverse a March 2019 decision by the Connecticut Supreme Court, which ruled 4-3 that Remington could be sued under state law over its marketing practices, citing one of the few exemptions to the federal law.

The gunmaker argued that the state court's interpretation of the marketing exemption is, "intolerable given Congress's 'intention to create national uniformity'" with the federal law, the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. "As the dissenters below noted, lawsuits like this one are precisely the kind the PLCAA was enacted to prevent."
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

So I guess Rosie Odonnell can now sue all the forks and spoons mfgrs for making her fat. Makes about as much sense.
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
tvc184
Pope & Young

I think this is a dual sovereignty issue. The United States is set up as countries within a country. Each state in effect is an independent country with independent laws within its borders. They can generally make any laws that they wish as long as it does not violate the US Constitution or a federal law prohibiting it.

I believe that federal law does not allow a lawsuit against gun manufacturers because they were used in crimes under a federal lawsuit. A person can sue in state court or federal court however. This case was filed in the Connecticut state court.

I do not think that the United States Supreme Court ruled in this case. They just refuse to hear the case, leaving it in the state court level which is based on the 10th amendment of states rights.

The lawsuit in Connecticut was filed for deceptive trade practices. It was not specifically for making a deadly weapon which could be almost anything but that the A15 was marketed to civilians and the lawsuit claim that is nothing but a military weapon.

Hopefully the lawsuit will fail and hopefully many other states do not allow such lawsuits to happen.

Lawyers get paid at times to dream up actions that have never been brought before. The lawyers in this case came up with a new tactic of not suing the gun manufacturer because it was a gun but because of who it was marketed to.
tvc184 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #4
jonezy00
Spike

Hunt In: East Texas

I think proving Remington marketed this gun as a killing gun, weapon of war etc since the law was passed on ‘05 will be very tough. Even in CT, a deep blue state. The ramifications for businesses in CT will be significant, and cause them to flee if the parents are victorious over Remington.
jonezy00 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #5
Johnny44
Ten Point

Remington marketed the Model 700 as a combat weapon. I hope Remington packs up and moves. They have to be careful with marketing.

Just like half the cost of a GMC is paying for retirements and lawsuits, it will be the same with some gun companies.

Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 09:56 PM   #6
TxLonghorn
Spike

Yeah it’s Connecticut court not scotus (not that the headlines are clear)
TxLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #7
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Ok, but Anheuser Busch should be sued by the family of every person killed by a drunk driver
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2019, 11:24 PM   #8
sir shovelhands
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
Ok, but Anheuser Busch should be sued by the family of every person killed by a drunk driver
Along with the car manufacturer for not having an ignition interlock breathalyzer as standard equipment.
sir shovelhands is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #9
Johnny44
Ten Point

Yep
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #10
Puggy625
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, KS

And liquor makers can now be sued for making liquor.

Oh, and the state the person who killed someone while drunk driving can be sued for issuing them a license, because you know, the state has to know that the person was going to do that while in possession of said license.

Very slippery slope...……..but not surprising coming from Yankee land.
Puggy625 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 08:20 PM   #11
tvc184
Pope & Young

They didn’t sue because it was a deadly weapon. The lawsuit was over deceptive trade practices.... false advertising.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:23 PM   #12
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
They didnít sue because it was a deadly weapon. The lawsuit was over deceptive trade practices.... false advertising.
what was falsely advertised??
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2019, 09:53 PM   #13
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickerpatch59 View Post
what was falsely advertised??
I think it is a completely bogus argument and is an end around on the law but....

Remington is accused of marketing a military weapon to mostly young males showing them as cool (my word) so the practice is deceptive.

They know that they cannot just sue because it was deadly(which could be almost any product) but because of the way it was marketed. They cite phrases like considering your man card reissued or the opposition will bow down and hyping it up in video games, etc.

It is BS in my opinion? Sure but it is a way of not claiming that the lawsuit is just because you can kill someone with it.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:47 PM   #14
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land

I was a little surprised to hear they marketed it in video games. If anything hurts them (and it doesn't sound like the suit will be successful), I think it will be that.
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 06:38 AM   #15
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

It will likely hit the scotus & some point to get tossed eventually...you can thank sr. trump for this front end victory.

deceptive trade practices...sigh.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #16
red
Ten Point

Hunt In: Parker Co.

i am going to sue mcgraw-hill for falsely marketing their math books. i did not have a good time as indicated, implied and suggested by the cover of their math books...

Name:  0078885159.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  27.0 KB
red is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #17
DJM
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills Co,Coryell Co,Lampasas Co

This whole arguement is garbage.The Sandy Hook shooter didnt buy the gun.He committed a crime (murder) to obtain it .How it was marketed has nothing to do with the horrific event it was used in.Case dismissed........Next.

DJ
DJM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #18
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
i am going to sue mcgraw-hill for falsely marketing their math books. i did not have a good time as indicated, implied and suggested by the cover of their math books...

Attachment 980209
Can I join? Class Action?
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #19
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

I think anyone who tries to sue civilly will be disappointed. Isn't Remington under Ch. 11 right now?
Old 11-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #20
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
I think anyone who tries to sue civilly will be disappointed. Isn't Remington under Ch. 11 right now?
Remington filed Chapter 11 in March 2018, they emerged from Chapter 11 in May 2018.
Phillip Fields is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #21
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM View Post
This whole arguement is garbage.The Sandy Hook shooter didnt buy the gun.He committed a crime (murder) to obtain it .How it was marketed has nothing to do with the horrific event it was used in.Case dismissed........Next.

DJ
That should be the first argument. How did deceptive trade practices marketed to young males cause this when the gun was bought by an older female and then stolen?
Old 11-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #22
stickerpatch59
Pope & Young

Hunt In: gonzales, and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
That should be the first argument. How did deceptive trade practices marketed to young males cause this when the gun was bought by an older female and then stolen?
sounds like trial lawyers with a lot of time on their hands.

time to make these a-hoes pay for all the sh!+ they stir up.
if they loose, well o.k.; we didn't have too much invested...but if they win, well they hit the lottery.
stickerpatch59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #23
MUZZYSLINGR
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post

Attachment 980209

Thatís a great idea!! Sounds like a few of us would be down for a class action suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MUZZYSLINGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2019, 11:29 AM   #24
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Fields View Post
Remington filed Chapter 11 in March 2018, they emerged from Chapter 11 in May 2018.
Oh, ok. Thank you!