Mock scrape success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mock scrape success?

I have a big deer that I am trying to get patterned in some way but he is elusive and very smart. I have seen several hunting shows where they make mock scrapes and put a camera there in an attempt to get the buck to regularly visit to mark the scrape and push out the "intruder" deer. Has anybody actually had success with this method or do I risk pushing him out of the area?

Find an existing scrape and pee on it Same concept.

Comment

Are you being serious? Won't human pee put him on high alert of a threat as opposed to buck scent?

Comment

WCB will be along shortly, once he gets his contact list in order.

Comment

Nope. I’ve peeped on scrapes before. They just see it as another buck in the area

Comment

I have made scrapes by spraying round up in late August along field edges. Mostly would get opened up late October.

Comment

Originally posted by BeltonLaw View Post
              Are you being serious? Won't human pee put him on high alert of a threat as opposed to buck scent?
              Evidently pee is pee. I read somewhere that someone did a test using human pee, bottled deer pee, and (of all things) new car smell. Not much difference in the scents used as far as scrape use went, but the new car scent edged out the others. Just proves that everyone loves a new car ! All kidding aside, that’s a true story, can’t remember who did it, might have been Dr. Kroll.

I have never peed in a jug while on stand, always just let ‘er fly. I’ve never seen a deer bothered by it.

Comment

I’ve been making mock scrapes of my own for years. And yes, I pee in them. As well as existing scrapes. Human pee does not spook deer. The buck will think he’s got competition and hit the area and the scrape more frequently. I’ve seen this work.

Comment

I learn something new on here all the time! Always thought human pee smell would drive the deer out or bother them in some way. Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate it.

Comment

Comment

Have your wife or some other female pee in a scrape when they are on their period. Much better than any other pee. And yeah I am serious

Comment

I just made one this past weekend in an area i am trying to do the same thing with. I tried some of that scrape fix powder as well. Will check cameras and let you know this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                          Have your wife or some other female pee in a scrape when they are on their period. Much better than any other pee. And yeah I am serious
                          "Honey, you know I hate asking this as much as you're gonna hate doing it, but will you go to the deer lease with me this weekend? Oh. And I need you to pee on something for me....."
                          Last edited by ACCURACYINC; 11-06-2019, 09:01 AM. Reason: ...

Comment

Scrape the dirt bare on the ground and pee. Works very well. I have had deer on a mock scrape in less than an hour. Sometimes in minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by E.TX.BOWHUNTER View Post
                              Scrape the dirt bare on the ground and pee. Works very well. I have had deer on a mock scrape in less than an hour. Sometimes in minutes.
                              x2
                              I've found it works exceptionally well if you can find an old scrape from last year that hasn't been freshened up

Comment

Working...
                              X