Pair I have of my granddads. Click image for larger version

Name:	C4C2C3BB-711C-418A-BC64-DA1CF4003F9B.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	24596760

Comment

Originally posted by Dillakilla View Post
      Pair I have of my granddads. [ATTACH]978422[/ATTACH]
      Was Grandad a bull rider? I’m curious if the bailing wire in the rowells was to make them more aggressive? Any idea?
      Thanks for showing them.
      Last edited by Witchgrass; 10-30-2019, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
        Was Grandad a bull rider? I’m curious if the bailing wire in the rowells was to make them more aggressive? Any idea?
        Thanks for showing them.
        That keeps the rowels from turning giving the rider a better grip.

Comment

Yes. Those were his bull spurs from a fairly short rodeo career ending from a back injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
            I had a really nice pair of spurs by Joe Bianchi that my Grandpa used to use and gave me but they were stolen out of my truck off of my emergency brake back in the late 70's.

I don't cowboy anymore so I don't have any spurs currently.
            Bianchi spurs are legends in this part of south texas. Sucks that you still don't have them. My dad also had a pair stolen from when he was a kid and worked for Joe Dail at the 3X ranch in Placedo tx

Comment

Bump for cool spurs.

Comment

Anybody else for any to show off?

Comment

We’ve got a few pairs in the barn.

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                    I have an old pair of Kelly's. Haven't figured out the pics yet though.

Would love to see em!

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                      I started a post in the classifieds about buying spurs. For those that have some, I’m curious what kind you have. Do you have any good stories about them? Family history? Maybe just post up a picture of what they look like, and any details you know about them. Thanks in advance.

A few are family heirlooms and some are customs that are less than 20yrs old. I can get you the particulars if you’d like. My favorite pair were made in Coleman in the 40s where my people are from. I think it’s the third pair in my post.

Comment

Originally posted by Gherkin05 View Post
                        A few are family heirlooms and some are customs that are less than 20yrs old. I can get you the particulars if you’d like. My favorite pair were made in Coleman in the 40s where my people are from. I think it’s the third pair in my post.
                        Man, you’ve got some good ones! I’d love to run across some of those.
                        Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I have one, that my great grandfather found on one of his farms many years ago. He was big on collecting arrow heads and learning about Indians. He had a large arrow head collection. So he was always looking at the ground wherever he went. He was born back in 1884, not sure at what point he found the spur, but I know he found it a long time ago, he knew it was very old and held onto it. After he died, then his daughter my grandmother died. I got some of his arrow head collection and the spur he found.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                            A pair I made for my son Clay. They were for his 18th birthday. If you know his story you can see how special these are to me. They are kind of like saying, I'm letting go and putting you in Gods hands Son. I think he felt that way also. It was a turning point in our father son relationship.
                            Good stuff right there!

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                              I have one, that my great grandfather found on one of his farms many years ago. He was big on collecting arrow heads and learning about Indians. He had a large arrow head collection. So he was always looking at the ground wherever he went. He was born back in 1884, not sure at what point he found the spur, but I know he found it a long time ago, he knew it was very old and held onto it. After he died, then his daughter my grandmother died. I got some of his arrow head collection and the spur he found.
                              Got a picture of it?

Comment

I just took some pictures of it. I had the spur put away for a few years and wanted to display it someone. Then I found that ram's skull on a hunt many years ago and wanted to do something with it also. Then had a old chicken coupe that was falling down, that I planned on taking down. I got the idea to build this display case, I guess is what you would call it. I used some old fence posts from the property, from a old fence line, that had long been mostly knocked down. I used some wood from the old chicken coupe, then some fence posts and barbed wire from the old fence and made this piece. Then put the ram's skull and the spur in it.

Not the best pictures of the spur, my wife has a lot of stuff on top of the box, that I would have to remove, to get the lid off to pull the spur out. Kind of surprised that the spur still has the leather attached to it. I wish I knew the story of which of his farms he found the spur on. My great grandfather died, when I was around 15 or 16 years old, he was 101. I got many interesting stories out of him, but never knew about the spur or his arrow heads or his tomahawk, till after he died. I know my great grandfather owned land around Nixon, I think that was his last farm. I know that's where he fell off of the windmill, then the family convinced him to give up farming and move into town. Before Nixon, he had land down around Pleasanton or Poteet, then Cotulla. The spur was found on one of his places.
                                Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 06-08-2020, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X