Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2022, 10:52 PM   #1
jjaimes
Ten Point
 
jjaimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Woodville,TX
Hunt In: East & Central Texas
Default Sedation for Dental Procedure

Has anyone on here had there 2 year old or child sedated for a dental procedure? My 2 year old little girl is scheduled for a dental procedure in Cypress later this week and I’m feeling a bit uneasy about it. If anyone’s dealt with this what was the experience like before and after?
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 07:32 AM   #2
HogHunter34
Ten Point
 
HogHunter34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Troup, TX
Hunt In: Anderson County
Default

Many use a combo of Versed + Demerol when doing 3rd molar type extractions
Is this type sedation what you are talking about?
Other than that they’ll use gas & localized anesthetic
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 07:35 AM   #3
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young
 
Goldeneagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Allen, TX
Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Default

Not sedated, but when my son was little we had to put him in a straight jacket and me and the nurse laid on him while the doc had him in a head lock.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 08:56 AM   #4
jjaimes
Ten Point
 
jjaimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Woodville,TX
Hunt In: East & Central Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogHunter34 View Post
Many use a combo of Versed + Demerol when doing 3rd molar type extractions
Is this type sedation what you are talking about?
Other than that they’ll use gas & localized anesthetic
They’ll be checking for cavities and filling if needed on her baby teeth. My wife has all the details on everything they explained to her at the dentist office. From what I understand an anesthesiologist will be there for the procedure
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 09:04 AM   #5
SaintBlaise
Ten Point
 
SaintBlaise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: New Orleans
Hunt In: Roosevelt, TX
Default

If you have an Anesthesiologist, I would not worry about it. The red flags are when the Dentist administers the meds and does his procedure. Then no one is watching the vitals. Hope all goes well.
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 09:04 AM   #6
MtnMike
Six Point
 
MtnMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Bullard
Hunt In: East Texas, South Texas, Montana,Nebraska, Wyoming and New Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaimes View Post
They’ll be checking for cavities and filling if needed on her baby teeth. My wife has all the details on everything they explained to her at the dentist office. From what I understand an anesthesiologist will be there for the procedure
We have an Autistic Grandson who will have this done. The Dentist uses a Local Anesthesiologist to administer IV Sedation for the procedure. I recently had this done for wisdom tooth extraction myself. It was easy.
MtnMike is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 10:06 AM   #7
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point
 
ThisLadyHunts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Central Texas
Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America
Default

Yes, you should be concerned!

While the chance is small, there is little margin for error and the consequences are high, should something go wrong. In fact, I would insist that someone who specializes in PEDIATRIC anesthesiology be used were it my child.
ThisLadyHunts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 10:54 AM   #8
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point
 
texasdeerhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lufkin
Hunt In: East Texas
Default

Is there a specific reason your child needs this? Is it just a routine checkup or cleaning? We erred on the side of “they are baby teeth and they are going to lose them in a few years anyway” approach. Other than a few regular cleanings, we didn’t do much until their permanent teeth came in…
texasdeerhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 11:13 AM   #9
Strummer
Pope & Young
 
Strummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edna Tx
Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard
Default

Both of my kids have . My boy had 4 crowns and spacers . Crowns are n his molars He is 6 . Back in may . My girl had it done when she was 4 . Had a bunch of silver caps . My girls was done in the hospital. My boys was done in the office with a anesthesiologist from out of town. He comes to the office for surgery’s every Thursday.
Strummer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 11:15 AM   #10
Strummer
Pope & Young
 
Strummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Edna Tx
Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
Is there a specific reason your child needs this? Is it just a routine checkup or cleaning? We erred on the side of “they are baby teeth and they are going to lose them in a few years anyway” approach. Other than a few regular cleanings, we didn’t do much until their permanent teeth came in…

In my kids case it was on their molars . Kids really need them . It will effect their jaw growth and speech . We did a lot of research before our kids had it done . The bad baby teeth was just pulled .
Strummer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 11:21 AM   #11
ultrastealth
Pope & Young
 
ultrastealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX
Default

I'm a periodontist, and, unless she has serious behavioral issues, I wouldn't do it. Anesthesia on children is risky. Most of the stupid laws that I have to contend with now were put in place because of stupid dentists doing stupid things with regard to sedating children.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 11:46 AM   #12
gingib
Banned!!!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Central Tx
Hunt In: NTX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
Is there a specific reason your child needs this? Is it just a routine checkup or cleaning? We erred on the side of “they are baby teeth and they are going to lose them in a few years anyway” approach. Other than a few regular cleanings, we didn’t do much until their permanent teeth came in…
Agree!!!! Makes no sense and never heard of this

Sounds like people fall for this tho.

I have a 1.5 and 2.5 and never even been considered or talked about.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 11:55 AM   #13
PhotonSlinger
Eight Point
 
PhotonSlinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lubbock
Default

If it’s a routine checkup and cleaning I would say no on my child. BUT I also understand some kids have things going on that require them to need sedation.
PhotonSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 11:59 AM   #14
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young
 
Dusty Britches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cameron & College Station
Default

How much sedation? Enough to relax or full asleep? If the latter, unless it is a licensed anesthesiologist, ain't no way, no how!

Several years ago a dentist wanted to "knock me out to get my jaw to relax enough to put a mold in my mouth for a crown." I had had a few other crowns done, so this surprised me. I walked away. My new dentist looked at my teeth and asked why on earth the other guy wanted to put a crown in. That was more than 10 years ago and I still have not needed any crowns.

Last edited by Dusty Britches; 10-04-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 12:06 PM   #15
RPB
Six Point
 
RPB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Weimar, TX
Hunt In: A Big Oak,A Big Pecan Tree, and a Fertilizer Tank
Default

We had to sedate both our kids. They were older though 4-5. One had and still has rotten teeth. It’s a weird deal. She has outgrown that stage as an 8 year old and now it’s not a big deal to go to the dentist. We did the Oral sedation then gassed them. Once had to do IV when there was a lot of work done. Your nervous as a parent. Our dr and staff were great and they had a anesthetist that specialized In dental and children. Nurse kept us updated about every 5 min. I think a lot depends on the facility that your gonna use. We used a place in round rock. Was a two hour drive but worth it the three times we went. Our local dentist used oral sedation a couple times to easy their anxiety but they have outgrown it finally
RPB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 01:20 PM   #16
jjaimes
Ten Point
 
jjaimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Woodville,TX
Hunt In: East & Central Texas
Default

She’s getting checked because they believe she’s getting tooth decay and cavities and trying to take care of them before they get worse. Right now it’s in the air because she woke up with a slight cough and congestion so the doctor will have to check her out before proceeding with the dental procedure
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 01:46 PM   #17
tdwinklr
Ten Point
 
tdwinklr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Leonard, TX
Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
Agree!!!! Makes no sense and never heard of this

Sounds like people fall for this tho.

I have a 1.5 and 2.5 and never even been considered or talked about.
same here.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 02:00 PM   #18
Cullbuck
Six Point
 
Cullbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: setx
Hunt In: setx
Default Sedation for Dental Procedure

My 2 1/2 year old just had a tongue tie cut and stitched and they used Versed. They monitored her vitals the whole time. Overall was a good experience, pretty funny when the medicine started working.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cullbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 02:03 PM   #19
ctom87
Ten Point
 
ctom87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Public
Default

I was sedated for wisdom teeth removal a few years ago. Dude didn't use enough. I woke up multiple times during the procedure and even when I was so tired I couldn't open my eyes, I still conscious enough to remember basically all of it.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 02:40 PM   #20
bboswell
Pope & Young
 
bboswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montgomery County
Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
Yes, you should be concerned!

While the chance is small, there is little margin for error and the consequences are high, should something go wrong. In fact, I would insist that someone who specializes in PEDIATRIC anesthesiology be used were it my child.
this!

My wife is Pediatric Dental Hygienist in a practice that caters to children with special needs. They have much better (safer) methods that general sedation when dealing with minor dental procedures like the ones you describe.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 02:44 PM   #21
tjs011
Four Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Texas
Default

My wife is a nurse (17 yrs in pediatrics) that works with a local pediatric dental anesthesia group that coordinates with dentists that have patients who might need sedation. They go through an extensive medical history consult prior to any procedures - including discussions with parents, PCPs and other specialists, if needed. The anesthesiologist is on site in the dental office monitoring the patients throughout the procedure. Not sure if your daughters dentist is working with my wife's company - but feel free to Pm if you want to discuss further.
tjs011 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 10:13 PM   #22
jjaimes
Ten Point
 
jjaimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Woodville,TX
Hunt In: East & Central Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs011 View Post
My wife is a nurse (17 yrs in pediatrics) that works with a local pediatric dental anesthesia group that coordinates with dentists that have patients who might need sedation. They go through an extensive medical history consult prior to any procedures - including discussions with parents, PCPs and other specialists, if needed. The anesthesiologist is on site in the dental office monitoring the patients throughout the procedure. Not sure if your daughters dentist is working with my wife's company - but feel free to Pm if you want to discuss further.
Hey I really appreciate it! I’ll send you a PM with the dentists information and clinic to see what your wife can help with thank you
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 10:14 PM   #23
jjaimes
Ten Point
 
jjaimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Woodville,TX
Hunt In: East & Central Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
this!

My wife is Pediatric Dental Hygienist in a practice that caters to children with special needs. They have much better (safer) methods that general sedation when dealing with minor dental procedures like the ones you describe.
Would you mind asking her what she suggests maybe PM if you can? Thank you!
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 10:26 PM   #24
brokeno
Pope & Young
 
brokeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Smiley, Texas
Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere
Default

Does she need fillings? Is so how are they going to do them without sedating her. Quit giving her all that sugar filled juice and candy.
brokeno is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 10:29 PM   #25
Uncle_Milty
Ten Point
 
Uncle_Milty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: TX/LA Coast
Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine, CO
Default

We just have ours get numbing shots. If sedation is avoidable at all then I wouldn’t risk it. Too many variables and risks imo.

Kids don’t love the shots but they don’t freak out or anything.
Uncle_Milty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 10:40 PM   #26
ByronB
Pope & Young
 
ByronB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clear Lake
Default

When discussing “monitoring” you need to make sure to ask and see they are monitoring for ETCO2. If a Dentist or Oral Doc is only monitoring for pulse oximetry that is a problem. Make dang sure they have an ETCO2 Monitor in that room and an ETCO2 cannula is running to the nasal cavity. This goes for adults as well. If not, do not let them put your child or yourself under. Having an Anesthesiologist at all oral surgeries is a pipe dream. It does not happen. If the location has an Anesthesiologist on site for each surgery all the better. Being able to monitor the ETCO2 waves allows Doctors to catch the waves of respiratory distress before it becomes a problem for the Patient. The American Dental Association and Max Oral Associations require ETCO2 monitoring for all sedated Patients. I spent ten years selling ETCO2 Cannulas and was never surprised when I found dental locations not using the machines. Some places did not want to spend money on the machines. They have gotten better but asking a bunch of questions is the right thing to do.
ByronB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2022, 08:50 AM   #27
jjaimes
Ten Point
 
jjaimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Woodville,TX
Hunt In: East & Central Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeno View Post
Does she need fillings? Is so how are they going to do them without sedating her. Quit giving her all that sugar filled juice and candy.
The cause of the problem was breast milk back when my wife was breastfeeding her not candy or sweets
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2022, 08:51 AM   #28
jjaimes
Ten Point
 
jjaimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Woodville,TX
Hunt In: East & Central Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
When discussing “monitoring” you need to make sure to ask and see they are monitoring for ETCO2. If a Dentist or Oral Doc is only monitoring for pulse oximetry that is a problem. Make dang sure they have an ETCO2 Monitor in that room and an ETCO2 cannula is running to the nasal cavity. This goes for adults as well. If not, do not let them put your child or yourself under. Having an Anesthesiologist at all oral surgeries is a pipe dream. It does not happen. If the location has an Anesthesiologist on site for each surgery all the better. Being able to monitor the ETCO2 waves allows Doctors to catch the waves of respiratory distress before it becomes a problem for the Patient. The American Dental Association and Max Oral Associations require ETCO2 monitoring for all sedated Patients. I spent ten years selling ETCO2 Cannulas and was never surprised when I found dental locations not using the machines. Some places did not want to spend money on the machines. They have gotten better but asking a bunch of questions is the right thing to do.
I will be looking into this today I’m asking a lot of the questions you guys are advising. Thanks
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2022, 09:47 AM   #29
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point
 
ThisLadyHunts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Central Texas
Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronB View Post
When discussing “monitoring” you need to make sure to ask and see they are monitoring for ETCO2. If a Dentist or Oral Doc is only monitoring for pulse oximetry that is a problem. Make dang sure they have an ETCO2 Monitor in that room and an ETCO2 cannula is running to the nasal cavity. This goes for adults as well. If not, do not let them put your child or yourself under. Having an Anesthesiologist at all oral surgeries is a pipe dream. It does not happen. If the location has an Anesthesiologist on site for each surgery all the better. Being able to monitor the ETCO2 waves allows Doctors to catch the waves of respiratory distress before it becomes a problem for the Patient. The American Dental Association and Max Oral Associations require ETCO2 monitoring for all sedated Patients. I spent ten years selling ETCO2 Cannulas and was never surprised when I found dental locations not using the machines. Some places did not want to spend money on the machines. They have gotten better but asking a bunch of questions is the right thing to do.

Would this be in addition to entubación during anesthesia, or in addition to? I’m a little confused by the use of a nasal cannula for the purpose of measuring CO2.
ThisLadyHunts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2022, 10:25 AM   #30
eastover53
Eight Point
 
eastover53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Kansas
Hunt In: Kansas Mississippi Louisiana
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
Would this be in addition to entubación during anesthesia, or in addition to? I’m a little confused by the use of a nasal cannula for the purpose of measuring CO2.
ETCO2 cannulas have a little “lip” that hangs down below the nose that registers the amount of CO2. It is a combo cannula with one providing O2 and the other measuring CO2.
Here’s an example of one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x-Micros...edirect=mobile
eastover53 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2022, 12:03 PM   #31
jjaimes
Ten Point
 
jjaimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Woodville,TX
Hunt In: East & Central Texas
Default

Well everything went good so far just waiting on the little one to wake up.
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2022, 01:11 PM   #32
GARY
Administrator
 
GARY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Bend County & Shiner Texas
Hunt In: Lavaca County & Alberta
Default

My wife is a long time Dental Hygienst in a large pedatriac practice. They have IV day once a week. It's generally done under these circumstances

1) Special needs kids
2) Children undergoing extensive treatment that would require multiple visits otherwise as the kids just cannot hold out that long
3) Delicate procedure with a highly wired kid (Often parents request, or it's accepted between parents and office that the kid is too high strung
__________________
Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2022, 01:19 PM   #33
tjs011
Four Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaimes View Post
Well everything went good so far just waiting on the little one to wake up.
Glad to hear that!
tjs011 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2022, 02:16 PM   #34
WCB
Pope & Young
 
WCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bonham
Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaimes View Post
Well everything went good so far just waiting on the little one to wake up.
Good!!
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2022, 02:42 PM   #35
jjaimes
Ten Point
 
jjaimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Woodville,TX
Hunt In: East & Central Texas
Default

She’s awake been on the road for 2 hours on the way home she’s been a little fussy but other than that she’s slowly recovering from the anesthesia. If she continues to get better at this rate might be able to go sit in the backyard for one of my target bucks tonight! She’s enjoying her Jello
Attached Images
 

Last edited by jjaimes; 10-06-2022 at 02:50 PM.
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2022, 03:38 PM   #36
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point
 
ThisLadyHunts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Central Texas
Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastover53 View Post
ETCO2 cannulas have a little “lip” that hangs down below the nose that registers the amount of CO2. It is a combo cannula with one providing O2 and the other measuring CO2.
Here’s an example of one. https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x-Micros...edirect=mobile

Never heard of this. Very cool!
ThisLadyHunts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com