Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-03-2022, 05:48 PM   #51
Death from Above
Pope & Young

If they have the days…they should use them
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 05:54 PM   #52
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville

I get 5 weeks of vacation and I do my best to use 5 weeks of vacation.

Life’s to short to pretend the world will stop revolving without my emails.
kyle1974 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 05:54 PM   #53
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death from Above View Post
If they have the days…they should use them
I teach, and a coworker on my grade level team took a day and a half off last week, and we already had Friday off, to plan her daughter’s birthday party for Saturday. She’s also going on a week long vacation in November. Teaching is a little different, because when you’re out it messes up your kids and everyone else has to deal with them. We also have a lot of time off to begin with, so it’s pretty irritating when people are irresponsible with their days and extra work falls on the rest of us. She’ll also only have 1.5 days of PTO left to last the last 6 months of school. They’re her days, but it’s still indicative of the mindset that a lot of folks have these days.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 06:07 PM   #54
Lost10mm
Six Point

Hunt In: Granger

I guess it depends on the type of job you're talking about. Where I'm at, we all earn leave and if someone decides to take their leave, we can perform just fine until they get back. The true test for that was when covid hit and we started having several people out on COVID leave at one time. But we still made it work. It's pretty well understood through the entire company here that we all have families and personal lives, and we all intend on not giving up our lives to an employer. Everyone gets to take care of their personal matters, live their lives, and the operation continues just fine.

Personally, I've seen entirely too many guys who were 100% committed to their jobs regret missing out on all that family time that they can't get back once they get older. I told myself from a young age I would not be that guy when I get old. So far, it's been working out just fine.

If one of my guys tells me they need time - for anything - I encourage them to take it and enjoy themselves. When they get back from that time off, we talk about whatever it was that they did and it's usually pretty good stuff. I find that brings them back refreshed and ready to push hard again in the shop.

Last edited by Lost10mm; 10-03-2022 at 06:10 PM.
Lost10mm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 06:10 PM   #55
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

My favorite saying was "Every now and then, you got to shoot a hostage".

Hah! I love this!
ThisLadyHunts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 06:15 PM   #56
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I have a coworker that I can't remember the last time he did 40hrs a week in the office
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 06:20 PM   #57
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpack View Post
The 3rd time it happened you were gone. No 2nd chances.
Groundbreaking….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 06:27 PM   #58
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

I have been at the plant 24 years. Have not been late yet . I do use all of my PTO and normally roll 40 hrs of vacation over. Gives me 200hrs vacation 40 sick and 16 personal . I can accumulated up to 80 sick .
Strummer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 09:01 PM   #59
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

It's really none of my business. If they don't have the hours to take off they don't get paid. Just sucks when someone that has over 80 hours that can be used up is told no when it's only for a few hours. But it is what it is.

I won't feel bad about taking off for a week during huntin season. They obviously don't respect me or anyone else that has to pick up their slack or have important things to do when they're gone. What comes around goes around.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 09:14 PM   #60
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouboy View Post
Is that why you are at work playing on the computer?
I was on lunch or filling up vehicles during all my rants. When I'm there I show my boss I can do three different people's jobs.

On a side note I was told I would be getting a raise. So that's good. At least people notice that I show up and get things done. That made me feel a little better. Not completely but.....It did help.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:19 PM   #61
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost10mm View Post
If one of my guys tells me they need time - for anything - I encourage them to take it and enjoy themselves. When they get back from that time off, we talk about whatever it was that they did and it's usually pretty good stuff. I find that brings them back refreshed and ready to push hard again in the shop.
That's scheduled time. The employer has time to adjust for that. Pretty sure the OP is talking about call in.
Muskles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 09:28 PM   #62
Death from Above
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
I teach, and a coworker on my grade level team took a day and a half off last week, and we already had Friday off, to plan her daughter’s birthday party for Saturday. She’s also going on a week long vacation in November. Teaching is a little different, because when you’re out it messes up your kids and everyone else has to deal with them. We also have a lot of time off to begin with, so it’s pretty irritating when people are irresponsible with their days and extra work falls on the rest of us. She’ll also only have 1.5 days of PTO left to last the last 6 months of school. They’re her days, but it’s still indicative of the mindset that a lot of folks have these days.
My wife is a 24 year vet of teaching…if they give the days then use them.

It is a failure on the admin if it cause extra work.

If you cannot be gone then they dont pay enough…i feel for you…school is a nightmare nowadays
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 09:32 PM   #63
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztex View Post
Calling in sick?
Don't most companies offer sick/personal days? Serious question, I'm self employeed
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 09:43 PM   #64
smokeless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Across the fence

No. The company I work for has zero sick days. My schedule lets me be off during the week.
smokeless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 09:47 PM   #65
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator View Post
Don't most companies offer sick/personal days? Serious question, I'm self employeed
Yes they do. But some people abuse it and then they don't have any time left before they just don't get paid for that day.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:53 PM   #66
3DW5
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon Co, Jim Hogg and Starr Co.

I never miss unless my kids are sick and I can’t find someone to keep them, I despise missing work because I know my students won’t do crap if I’m gone.
3DW5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:05 PM   #67
tvc184
Pope & Young

I earned 4,440 hours of sick time in my career of just over 37 years. I left with almost 4,000 hours in the bank. I took off 11 weeks of sick time in those 37 years. We worked 10 hour days so I averaged a little over one day a year off sick. I think twice I was out for 4 days at a stretch with the flu or some other respiratory issue. Realistically I would go about 2-3 years without taking a sick day.

Before I retired, we had officers (we earned 120 hours a year sick by state law) had been there for 5 years so had earned 15 weeks off sick… and they had zero hours of sick time in the back. It is hardly because they need time off. We worked 4 days a week and got a minimum of 5 weeks a year vacation. If they don’t use comp time and even if they don’t use any sick time, they are still off 176 days a year. Apparently that still isn’t enough.

Obviously laziness is not new but I don’t remember having an issue trying to staff a shift 30 years ago. I think a lot of it is generational.
tvc184 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:06 PM   #68
Brad96
Six Point

Hunt In: Normangee, TX & Tishomingo, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
What I can tell you is that if you do three things, you will be put yourself ahead of 75% of the workforce automatically.

SHOW UP on time
Have a positive attitude
Show initiative
If you do all 3 of those things, it will definitely put you ahead of most of the workforce. My wife and I observed years ago that it seems like you only have to do 2 things to impress an employer:
Show up on time
Do what you're told

That seemed like a really low standard to us, but it's amazing how many people can't/don't meet it. And not just in minimum-wage jobs. We see it in the "professional" world, too.
Brad96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:08 PM   #69
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

It’s common at mine, and I’m of this younger generation many of you speak of I reckon. We have people of all ages who can’t make it on time, can’t follow basic rules, can’t keep people informed of basic things that might be pertinent to their supervisors. Doesn’t make sense to me. I’ve been told that my hard work will be remembered come time for raises, and I watched someone get a healthy raise after being caught sleeping on the job and stealing company time. Guess I should threaten to quit more often if I don’t get my way, seems to be how everyone gets ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:15 PM   #70
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

I'm so very proud of all the things that I didn't type on this thread, but not near as happy as my HR Department is for me not typing all the things that I didn't type on this thread.
curtintex is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:20 PM   #71
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
Or just at mine? Why can't people get out of bed and show up to work? In 4 years I've taken 5 days off other than personal days I had acquired. And those 5 days were for funerals so it's not like I took off for a good time. Seems like every week a certain few can't make it to work 5 days in a row. And it's not just a generational thing. There are a few that are plenty old enough to know they should get to work.

I just don't get it. I have the time I can take off if needed but I have an obligation to show up. I don't understand it at all.

That’s why I quit managing people and went into sales. I only have to worry about myself and don’t get ****** off when people call in all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Black Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:32 PM   #72
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
It's really none of my business. If they don't have the hours to take off they don't get paid. Just sucks when someone that has over 80 hours that can be used up is told no when it's only for a few hours. But it is what it is.

I won't feel bad about taking off for a week during huntin season. They obviously don't respect me or anyone else that has to pick up their slack or have important things to do when they're gone. What comes around goes around.
Why would you feel bad? I'm taking several weeks off during huntin season. Sho dont feel bad about it it's my vacation days

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Duckologist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:34 PM   #73
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

I call in sick every Friday. . I will be out of sick time...just in time.

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:35 PM   #74
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

Used to work with one of those
Overheard the doc we were working ith offer her $100 if she could make it to work on time for a week.
When she walked off I said I wanted in on that deal, he lauughed and said "no way, you will get my money. She can't do it"
She lasted until day 2 and was late
I have had to call in a couple of time in the last 2 years due to Covid and pneumonia. My boss knows when I call in I am really sick or something serious is going on.
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:38 PM   #75
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
I'm so very proud of all the things that I didn't type on this thread, but not near as happy as my HR Department is for me not typing all the things that I didn't type on this thread.
Pleading the 5th is a cop out

This thread reminds me of Larry The Cable Guys take on Walmarts hiring practices

“Have you ever cared about anything in your life” (is the interview question)
Answer: No

You start Tuesday in the DVD section
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:40 PM   #76
brokeno
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Fire them
brokeno is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 11:11 PM   #77
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
Why would you feel bad? I'm taking several weeks off during huntin season. Sho dont feel bad about it it's my vacation days

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I don't know I just always do. I know how difficult it is when just one person is missing. I guess that's how you can tell if someone's worth keeping around. If they miss work and you're not busier than normal that's a bad sign I guess. I just don't like putting people in a bind.
Old 10-03-2022, 11:31 PM   #78
RMW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Down South

This is why I only get guys from south of the border to work, they will work 100 hours a week without flinching, rain, cold don’t matter, they love it.
RMW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 11:50 PM   #79
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
This is why I only get guys from south of the border to work, they will work 100 hours a week without flinching, rain, cold don’t matter, they love it.
It's getting to where that's the only ones that will. Then white people gripe about Mexicans taking all the jobs. Well right now is the best time to need a job honestly. Because nobody but them want to work. There's jobs to be had. So I'm not sure what the real excuse is. It ain't the Mexicans that are taking all the jobs. It's Americans that would rather get paid to sit at home and do nothing that are the problem.

If that spot was filled already they wouldn't be having that job. What else are business owners supposed to do just not hire anyone?

Last edited by okrattler; 10-03-2022 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:07 AM   #80
RMW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Down South

Quote:
It's getting to where that's the only ones that will. Then white people gripe about Mexicans taking all the jobs. Well right now is the best time to need a job honestly. Because nobody but them want to work. There's jobs to be had. So I'm not sure what the real excuse is. It ain't the Mexicans that are taking all the jobs. It's Americans that would rather get paid to sit at home and do nothing that are the problem.

If that spot was filled already they wouldn't be having that job. What else are business owners supposed to do just not hire anyone?

You nailed it! Some will say I hire them because their cheap and that’s bull crap, out of 78 employees I’m paying anywhere from 13.00-23.00 an hour. Also the guys who run the automatic harvesters get an extra .50 cents per pallet and can cut up to 250 pallets per day during the busy seasons. I never have white or black guys come to the office looking for work.
RMW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 12:12 AM   #81
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
You nailed it! Some will say I hire them because their cheap and that’s bull crap, out of 78 employees I’m paying anywhere from 13.00-23.00 an hour. Also the guys who run the automatic harvesters get an extra .50 cents per pallet and can cut up to 250 pallets per day during the busy seasons. I never have white or black guys come to the office looking for work.
I used to roof houses with some of those fellas and a few white guys. They don't complain about it and they'll work from sun up until sun down. Mexicans are hard workin son of a guns. Anyone who don't think so ain't never worked alongside them. And they're good at what they do. I know a guy that can put any white guy to shame when it comes to doing sheet rock work. They are some talented folks.

I don't blame you one bit for putting those guys to work. And they're worth the pay I guarantee ya.

I'd like to work on a roof with the guys I work with now and them Mexicans I used to work with every time they call in sick. They'd appreciate their other job a lot more and it wouldn't take long. You talk about hard work. I thought they were gonna work me to death when I first started roofin.......well.....I say that. I don't wanna do that ever again unless I absolutely have to. I'd do it but I wouldn't like it.

Last edited by okrattler; 10-04-2022 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:16 AM   #82
Briar Friar
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
It is probably also easier to get away with these days with the current labor shortage. I was reading this morning how unemployment may not go up much as usual as we slide into a recession. Even when business is dropping, employers may be reluctant to lay off as many people as usual because it's been so hard to find, hire and train them
7 million US men between the age of 25 and 55 are unemployed and not looking for employment…which per the Federal government takes them out of unemployment line and off total unemployed numbers tally.

Redefine unemployment. Vote Communist.

I met a couple of 20sish female go-getters today. I love those type folk and let them know theyre doing a great job.
Good push MrRattler.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 10-04-2022 at 12:20 AM. Reason: 7GajillionJohnsUnemployedSpake
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 07:24 AM   #83
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
I call in sick every Friday. . I will be out of sick time...just in time.

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff
Speaking of Slackers

Congrats & well done
I’d be counting em down too
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 08:18 AM   #84
Clint
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Liberty Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post

I can relate to that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 08:32 AM   #85
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Llano and South Texas

I’ve got an employee that calls in all the time. 3 days per month on average. Some days I really want to let her go but it’s too hard to find a replacement so we just put up with it. In these times employees know they can get away with all kinds of crap because they are hard to replace. Hard to find good, reliable people.
Sika is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top