Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-03-2022, 12:22 PM   #1
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default Is this common at your job?

Or just at mine? Why can't people get out of bed and show up to work? In 4 years I've taken 5 days off other than personal days I had acquired. And those 5 days were for funerals so it's not like I took off for a good time. Seems like every week a certain few can't make it to work 5 days in a row. And it's not just a generational thing. There are a few that are plenty old enough to know they should get to work.

I just don't get it. I have the time I can take off if needed but I have an obligation to show up. I don't understand it at all.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 12:29 PM   #2
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville

Half the country wants to stay on the government dole. Of the working half about 20% of those want to be on the dole and either miss work or never give em their best when they do show up.
Hogmauler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 12:53 PM   #3
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackelford Co,

It is probably also easier to get away with these days with the current labor shortage. I was reading this morning how unemployment may not go up much as usual as we slide into a recession. Even when business is dropping, employers may be reluctant to lay off as many people as usual because it's been so hard to find, hire and train them
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 12:54 PM   #4
kcmarullo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Tx, Oklahoma

5 day's in A row they would be FIRED !!
kcmarullo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 12:56 PM   #5
Mitchell8
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarullo View Post
5 day's in A row they would be FIRED !!
If they showed up 5 days in a row you fire them?
Mitchell8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #6
ctom87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

I've fired someone for fraudulent FMLA claims/abuse. She was #1 in seniority with somewhere around 35 years. Always called out sick. Asked her doctor to recertify (basically asking them to confirm that this list of days off lines up with her condition), and the doctor wouldn't sign off on any of them except like 2. Bam, she gone.
ctom87 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:03 PM   #7
okrattler
Pope & Young

The thing about it is I don't mind doing extra work to fill someone's spot every now and again. But what irks me is we all get the same amount when we get a bonus or whatever the case might be. Getting extra for not the same amount of work is what I don't like. I'm not complaining about the extra work I have to do when people miss. But I don't think people should be rewarded for slacking.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:06 PM   #8
GMWWC
Nubbin' Buck

I will be retiring at age 72 in Dec. this year I have been out with pneumonia, flu, a fall accident, and a bad case of cellulitis, and I took a week of vacation when my DIL had a tumor removed from her lung. Sometimes it goes like that.
Don't be too quick to judge.
GMWWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:08 PM   #9
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

We have a some guys that really abuse it. One of them has sort term disability insurance and uses it about every 2 years to take 6 months off.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:15 PM   #10
zztex
Pope & Young

My old coworker called in sick every Monday after the Super Bowl. Every year
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:19 PM   #11
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath

If you let them get away with it, you are telling them and everyone else that it is alright to just not show up or show up late. When I was a supervisor in manufacturing, you could take your PTO almost anytime you wanted to. I really didn`t care when or how much you used. Once it was up and all used, your *****(Behind) belonged to me and when you didn`t meet the minimum requirement for attendance you were wrote up. The 3rd time it happened you were gone. No 2nd chances. They fired themselves. My favorite saying was "Every now and then, you got to shoot a hostage".
tpack is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:21 PM   #12
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

The lack of integrity, job ownership and work ethic in this country is spreading like another BAD disease. I see it from the top down. From the highest paid to the lowest.. It is beginning to look like a curse of some sort because nothing else makes any sense at all.. There is 0 accountability.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:22 PM   #13
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMWWC View Post
I will be retiring at age 72 in Dec. this year I have been out with pneumonia, flu, a fall accident, and a bad case of cellulitis, and I took a week of vacation when my DIL had a tumor removed from her lung. Sometimes it goes like that.
Don't be too quick to judge.
Which I completely understand. But these younger dudes calling in with a head ache or because they can't find a babysitter I don't understand. I don't feel great every single day but I still get out of bed and assume once I get to going I'll feel better.

Some people have legit reasons for calling in sick. But these guys 10 years years younger than I am shouldn't be doing stuff like that. No offense sir, but you're 72 years old. I don't mean anything by that. But I can understand why you would call in sick before I could a man in his 20's or 30's.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:22 PM   #14
Gclyde28
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztex View Post
Well that's because until the powers that be get their head on straight and move that game to Saturday, that Monday should be a holiday.
Gclyde28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:23 PM   #15
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Im a fireman and we work 1 day on and two days off. Even with two days off guys show up late, unshaven, not in uniform. Generational thing? i guess it is because most of the guys that are in their 40's or up dont do these things
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:24 PM   #16
Tx.Fisher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr, Gaines

Quote:
That *******!!
Tx.Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:26 PM   #17
BBBGP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bee Co.

They must have lots of problems and not like their job.
BBBGP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:36 PM   #18
jbhlsu
Eight Point

Hunt In: Buffalo, Ozona

Lazy...
jbhlsu is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:37 PM   #19
Jon Stewart
Eight Point

Been going on for a long time. I was a detective and showed up everyday a little after 700am to get my day ready. My hours were 8am to 4pm. We had a guy that would show up 805 to 810 almost everyday. That was back in the 90's so it is nothing new although I think in todays "woke" world it is more common. My neighbor is grumbling because he has to go back in to the office to work rather than work from home. Did I mention he golfed a lot, lol.
Jon Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:40 PM   #20
30-30
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hopkins County

"Quiet quitting."
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:42 PM   #21
ElfEyes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Okrattler, how many kids do you have?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
ElfEyes is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:49 PM   #22
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfEyes View Post
Okrattler, how many kids do you have?

None. That's why I can't figure out how these dudes are missing so much work. One has child support to pay. I just have regular bills. They don't throw you in prison if you don't pay those. Kids have to eat. I don't have to have electricity or water. I choose to because it makes life easier.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:50 PM   #23
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sonora/Sutton County

Yes. It’s very common nowadays. When I was at Hilton in San Marcos, I had a guy who would ‘no-call, no show” two days in a row quite often. 3 days in a row is automatic termination so he would dry out enough to come in on the third and usually ask to leave early. We would write him up and just move on. The upper management didn’t want to fire him bc we were short handed then. He eventually quit so the problem was gone.
Did have another that would call in once a week. He always said he always had food poisoning so he couldn’t come in. Didn’t bother me bc he was hourly. I did fire him later for stealing time
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:52 PM   #24
Tyrex750
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin co.

I learned long time ago, not to worry about what others do. Better off that way
Tyrex750 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:53 PM   #25
Javelin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Northern Polk County on the river, Houston County

we get 5 state days a year as a teacher and they roll over each year if you dont use them. Many districts give you a couple district days that dont roll over. Right now I have 45 days built up, many teachers I know have zero and tend to have to take pay deductions each year because they miss too many. I may take a day off on halloween simply because I love to hunt that day each year.
Javelin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:54 PM   #26
Muskles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee Co

I think I've called in at my current job 5 times in 16 years. Got several that I work/worked with that call in fairly often. All different ages. We have a point system, so they are somewhat limited.
Muskles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:58 PM   #27
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

What if you catch the Rona during the “rut” & get to quarantine in the woods
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:58 PM   #28
C.Read
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Angelina/Shelby Counties

The company I work for has an attendance incentive. To qualify an employee has to basically do what they are already expected to do.....show up on time, work a full shift and don't call out. Vacation days, scheduled doctor's appointments (with doctors note brought back to work), funerals, etc don't effect it. It's $750 of free money every quarter and we still have people not qualify for it.
C.Read is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 02:00 PM   #29
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Stewart View Post
Been going on for a long time. I was a detective and showed up everyday a little after 700am to get my day ready. My hours were 8am to 4pm. We had a guy that would show up 805 to 810 almost everyday. That was back in the 90's so it is nothing new although I think in todays "woke" world it is more common. My neighbor is grumbling because he has to go back in to the office to work rather than work from home. Did I mention he golfed a lot, lol.
I cant wait until all these work at home guys return to the office. They are really jacking up the golf course and me being able to play a round of golf in 2-2.5 hours.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #30
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR² View Post
The company I work for has an attendance incentive. To qualify an employee has to basically do what they are already expected to do.....show up on time, work a full shift and don't call out. Vacation days, scheduled doctor's appointments (with doctors note brought back to work), funerals, etc don't effect it. It's $750 of free money every quarter and we still have people not qualify for it.
In college the place I worked at did a smaller $25 bonus per pay period for perfect attendance. They scrapped it all together citing not enough participation.
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 02:09 PM   #31
okrattler
Pope & Young

Here's what has been irritated and the reason for the thread. I never ask for time off, ever. I asked if I could leave around 3 today because my grandpa needs help loading 40 bags of Quickcrete, 80 pounds each. But since other people called in sick I can't do that. A 78 year old man is out working guys 50 years younger than him today. That's pitiful. They ought to be embarrassed.

No, I'm not very happy about it. I have half a mind to just leave.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:13 PM   #32
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskles View Post
I think I've called in at my current job 5 times in 16 years. Got several that I work/worked with that call in fairly often. All different ages. We have a point system, so they are somewhat limited.
4 of those 5 was because of too many blue cans
The other one was because you got no sleep hunting all night long
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 02:13 PM   #33
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma, TX

I work in staffing so hiring, interviewing, onboarding, etc are part of what I deal with daily. What I can tell you is that if you do three things, you will be put yourself ahead of 75% of the workforce automatically.

SHOW UP on time
Have a positive attitude
Show initiative

Thats it. Sounds simple huh? We staff some lower level jobs ($15-$20hr) and we can't get people to show up to interviews, if they make it that far, half of them disappear after that with only a few actually following through and starting a position. You give people free money to sit at home and it doesn't take long for them to become accustomed to that and working for our paycheck seems like a stretch.
HoustonHunter94 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 02:17 PM   #34
CEO
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, MO, CO

One of our customers returned an excavator. He said he wanted his helper to unload it and park it since he is trying to learn how to operate. He's instructing the guy, looks at me and says, "He doesn't learn quickly by watching...but he doesn't learn by doing either". He gets it unloaded and parks it, but it's backward from all the other machines. He tells the guy to turn it around and says to me, "he's got no attention to detail".

Me: He shows up at least I guess.
Customer: He shows up every **** day. And that makes him better than almost every other helper I've hired.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 02:26 PM   #35
okrattler
Pope & Young

If I was the boss here I'd fire every **** one of these guys and start over. I'm so mad I could spit nails.

Excuse my language but good God.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:31 PM   #36
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

When I worked for the City I accrued 8 hours of pto time every two weeks. I missed plenty of work taking time of having fun and enjoying life. All work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy. I'm self employed again now and hardly have any days off.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 02:32 PM   #37
ElfEyes
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
None. That's why I can't figure out how these dudes are missing so much work. One has child support to pay. I just have regular bills. They don't throw you in prison if you don't pay those. Kids have to eat. I don't have to have electricity or water. I choose to because it makes life easier.
If/when you ever have kids you will see just how often someone is sick, has a dentist appointment, or eye Dr appointment etc.It's always something. Me and the wife have to juggle off days and Dr visits bc our jobs don't allow us to only take off for a few hours for that day. I averaged about one sick day a year before kids, now not so much. Having said all that I'm totally support firing someone that abuses the system. Right now we have three guys out for stress, one going on 6 months. He better never hope I run the company. If your coworkers are that close that a sick day shuts off their power they might need to trim back the lifestyle some.

ElfEyes is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 02:32 PM   #38
Zjesse22
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hidalgo County

Had a guy message me this morning at 1:21AM saying he wasn’t gonna make in to work because he wasn’t feeling well waiting on some lab results as soon as he sent me the message he turned on his silence notifications on his iPhone
Zjesse22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 02:34 PM   #39
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Quote:
Here's what has been irritated and the reason for the thread. I never ask for time off, ever. I asked if I could leave around 3 today because my grandpa needs help loading 40 bags of Quickcrete, 80 pounds each. But since other people called in sick I can't do that. A 78 year old man is out working guys 50 years younger than him today. That's pitiful. They ought to be embarrassed.

No, I'm not very happy about it. I have half a mind to just leave.
Just leave, when you're dead and gone that job will still be going. Take a day off, have fun and enjoy life. On your death bed you won't be saying you wish you'd worked more.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 02:35 PM   #40
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfEyes View Post
If/when you ever have kids you will see just how often someone is sick, has a dentist appointment, or eye Dr appointment etc.It's always something. Me and the wife have to juggle off days and Dr visits bc our jobs don't allow us to only take off for a few hours for that day. I averaged about one sick day a year before kids, now not so much. Having said all that I'm totally support firing someone that abuses the system. Right now we have three guys out for stress, one going on 6 months. He better never hope I run the company. If your coworkers are that close that a sick day shuts off their power they might need to trim back the lifestyle some.

I understand buddy. I get it and it's not even that honestly. I've worked plenty when people didn't show up and never questioned none of it. I'm just mad at the circumstances today. That's all it is.
Old 10-03-2022, 02:46 PM   #41
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

Quote:
I take off the first Monday of deer season every year.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 02:50 PM   #42
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
If I was the boss here I'd fire every **** one of these guys and start over. I'm so mad I could spit nails.

Excuse my language but good God.
Is that why you are at work playing on the computer?
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 02:58 PM   #43
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County
Default Is this common at your job?

It is ridiculous…I own/run a restaurant and we have about 20 servers scheduled every night and average 2-3 out sick/other bs every day. It is so hard to find decent employees we just document and eventually term the ones that aren’t any good and schedule extra people to cover those that call in. I am 52 and have been in the restaurant business my whole life and have missed less than 15 days in the 30+ years(those 15 days include 5 mandatory for covid so less than 10 besides that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 03:06 PM   #44
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

I have no patience for guys that are chronically late, but there was one exception. I had a loader operater that just could NOT make it on time. He would be 3 to 10 minutes late every day. If he somehow made it on time he would be sure and mention it. Sometimes there would be a dozen trucks waiting for him to load. My partner wanted to fire him but I told him that if Phillip started at 7:30 in an hour he would still be ahead of whoever started at 7:00, he was that **** good. He worked for us several years and finally quit and bought himself a dump truck. He was the only employee I ever tried to talk out of quitting in 12 years of being in the contracting business. The best loader operator I ever came across in 50 years of dirt work. I always tried to reward people based on merit, and Phillip’s reward was not getting his azz canned.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 03:58 PM   #45
Agdog
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atoka County, OK

I’d be reviewing your green screen time while on the clock. May result in one missed day of work per week
Agdog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #46
zztex
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullets13 View Post
I take off the first Monday of deer season every year.
Calling in sick?
zztex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 04:09 PM   #47
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Lack of discipline. Some have it, some don’t. It’s generally a learned behavior either from good parents and role models and quite often from the military or sports.
My old job was probably 30-40% vets. The people that had attendance problems were generally civilians and the most dependable were usually veterans. Many a time when I was in the army, we would have to run two to five miles while still half drunk or hungover. We learned to get the job done no matter how bad we felt and that just carried over to the civilian world.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 04:17 PM   #48
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pronouns-He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
"Quiet quitting."
Been hearing that term a lot lately. Had to look it up on the googler just now. Seems very fitting to what I am seeing and experiencing in retail stores, restaurants and so forth lately.
Man is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 04:31 PM   #49
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

I just send them back home if they’re more than 15 minutes late.
Couple unpaid days off seems to be pretty motivating.

Some exceptions have been made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 04:42 PM   #50
Sidro
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

Go into any big chain store and try to get someone to help you or pay cash at the register and see how much change you don't get back correctly. Company I worked for gave 6 sick days(1 day for 2 months' time with total of 60 days accrual) and 10 vacation days per year. I had employees that took sick days as soon as they had a full day with never any time saved up.
When they used vacation and sick time up, they griped if they were off and didn't get paid for time that was missed. Not just younger people but mostly. Always wanting a pay raise and griping when they didn't get one due to work ethics so they would work less and then I would terminate employment.
Another pet peeve I had before retirement was people who quit and went to another job, worked short time there and quit only to file unemployment against us.
There are lowlifes and misfits everywhere and I am glad to not have to put with their bs anymore
Sidro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top