Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-02-2022, 02:27 PM   #1
Plan B
Six Point

Hunt In: Houston/Trinity Counties
Default Tactacam with Reaktor Solar Panel problem

I bought two elusive wildlife reaktors and cannot get them to power my Tactacams. Can someone tell me what I am missing?

Both panels were charged before deployment. Both battery indicators show full but my camera will not turn on. I also pressed the test button according to the instructions to wake up the power supply. I verified I was using the correct cable and it was plugged into the 12 volt OUT.

Both cameras were working until the AA batteries died. Frustrating…

Thanks
Attached Images

Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
Twist
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County

My father’s camera did the same thing with batteries in them until they died. His would not switch over to the panel (also a Reaktor).

Take the batteries out of the camera and run it off of the panel only. You do not need to put batteries in a camera if it’s hooked up to a Reaktor, that panel has batteries built into it.
Twist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 02:38 PM   #3
Plan B
Six Point

Thanks, I tried taking all the batteries out of one and it still wouldn’t power up….
Old 10-02-2022, 02:41 PM   #4
Twist
Ten Point

That’s strange. His started working once I figured out what he had done, and none of the 3 I’ve had out for well over a year have had batteries in them since the initial setup and test I did at the house before putting them out.
Twist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 02:52 PM   #5
Passafist
Eight Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

Paper clip and reset, maybe????
Passafist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
Plan B
Six Point

I plan on calling Tactacam tomorrow. I bought the Reaktors after the cameras were set up in the field…
Old 10-02-2022, 03:52 PM   #7
RWB
Ten Point

I have 3 tactacam running on these panels with no issues. Turning the Reactor on was a little finicky for me. Disconnect it hold the power down for 3 seconds and let it power down. Turn the panel upside down for a few minutes then reconnect and push the button once to turn it on. Worked for me.
RWB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 04:54 PM   #8
refugioco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Frio County

I could not get the panel to show any voltage output, they did not answer the phone on the weekend, so I will call them tomorrow.
refugioco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 05:10 PM   #9
justin156bc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co.

Check the sensitivity setting. Mine wouldn’t take pictures this weekend ran through everything I thought then saw the sensitivity was off. Started taking pictures immediately after switching.
justin156bc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 05:43 PM   #10
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

You have the correct cable. “A”. I’m no help. I have 8 of them now and all are running off the Reaktor’s. I don’t have batteries in the camera at all. Please let us know what the solution was when you figure it out.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 06:14 PM   #11
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

One of my four is doing the same thing. Other 3 didn't have any problems running them without batteries but can't get the 4th to power the cam up. All lights are red but camera won't turn on put batteries in it and powered right up. Please let me know if you figure anything out!
bloodtrailer28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 07:02 PM   #12
Plan B
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin156bc View Post
Check the sensitivity setting. Mine wouldn’t take pictures this weekend ran through everything I thought then saw the sensitivity was off. Started taking pictures immediately after switching.
Sensitivity is good. It is set at 7 and took 4k photos before the AA batteries died.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:03 PM   #13
Plan B
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB View Post
I have 3 tactacam running on these panels with no issues. Turning the Reactor on was a little finicky for me. Disconnect it hold the power down for 3 seconds and let it power down. Turn the panel upside down for a few minutes then reconnect and push the button once to turn it on. Worked for me.
Man that is a process. I will call elusive wildlife tomorrow and get some input from them also. I just read their directions and could find anything similar to what you are describing.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:44 AM   #14
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
Man that is a process. I will call elusive wildlife tomorrow and get some input from them also. I just read their directions and could find anything similar to what you are describing.

Does your red lights stay on? The last two I bought do. My older ones do not. I’m wondering if they changed something in the design. I don’t remember having to press the test button on the older models either to activate it, but I may have just forgotten that part.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:12 AM   #15
Plan B
Six Point

Yes, they stay on.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:13 AM   #16
preaux40
Four Point

And I thought I was the only one with that problem . . I have a new reveal x with a new reaktor . . It was working . . Now the reaktor blinks and the camera won't turn on . . In for results . .
preaux40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:45 AM   #17
El General
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County

I bought 4 reaktors a couple of weeks ago and out of the box one of them would not charge anything. Hooked up several Tacatacam and Browning cameras as well as my phone and nothing would charge.
El General is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 12:58 PM   #18
Bigfootwolff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Colorado County

I have a Tactacam XB with the Reaktor solar panel, but also put alkaline batteries in it as a backup in the event the solar panel didn't charge properly. Camera has been out 3 weeks and battery life has stayed at 100%, with approximately 1000 pictures taken, so it appears mine is working. I know when I bought my Reaktor at the Elusive Wildlife booth at the TTHA Extravaganza back in August the representative told me they have a 1 year warranty, so hopefully if the Reaktor is bad they will agree to replace it. Please update what Elusive Wildlife tells you, that way if any of us that have them begin to experience the same problem, your experience might help.
Bigfootwolff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:54 PM   #19
djo51
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Arizona....

I tried one of those reaktor solar panels and it would not power my cuddelink cameras. Or anything else. Red lights were on and it was charged but no output. Took it back and got the cuddeback solar panel. Its been working great for 2 months now.
djo51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:34 PM   #20
Plan B
Six Point

Update - I spoke with Elusive Wildlife today, super nice people and very helpful. He mentioned they have been seeing a random port failure in these out of the box lately. He said it is a small amount units. They are going to send me 2 replacements and ensure they are working before shipping. Great customer service.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:12 AM   #21
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Update - I spoke with Elusive Wildlife today, super nice people and very helpful. He mentioned they have been seeing a random port failure in these out of the box lately. He said it is a small amount units. They are going to send me 2 replacements and ensure they are working before shipping. Great customer service.
Glad to hear it.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:33 AM   #22
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

Thanks for the update and guess I will be contacting them today to try and get a replacement.
bloodtrailer28 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 11:16 AM   #23
T-roy66
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Mine used the AA rechargeable batteries up then would not charge from the Reaktor. I made my own battery pack using two 12 volt feeder batteries, a solar panel with charge controller and a 50 caliber ammo can. Its been going for several months now.
T-roy66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2022, 04:02 PM   #24
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Bumping this.

Bought a panel and charged it on 120 for 2 days. Powered cam, set up and put it in the yard. Took a total of 12 photos and it's dead. When not in full sun all the lights flashing rapidly

Charge lights only come on when in direct full blown sun. Tried upside down, push the button and prayed to sunlight Jesus. Nothing.

Guess I'm calling

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2022, 04:06 PM   #25
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

I may have gotten a lemon too.

Full charge and hooked to a camera for 3 days. 0 pictures taken and dead. Camera and panel were set inside to function as a security camera for a weekend.
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2022, 05:35 PM   #26
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

I put mine in the sun at 230. If it's dead tomorrow it's going back. I don't think it powers off via the button anyway

Old 10-13-2022, 10:08 PM   #27
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Buy these off Amazon. They have a 6v and 12v plug, come with multiple cords and they have a really nice metal mount. I have 14 of them and they have been flawless

Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2022, 12:34 AM   #28
Plan B
Six Point

Update… I replaced one of two units with a new reactor from elusive wildlife. It’s working like a champ. They also emailed me about resetting the unit like a post earlier in this thread. It worked also on unit 2 of 2.

The additional instructions suggested I Cover the solar panel and hold the test button for a few seconds. It resets the unit and you should be good unless you have a dead port. This method worked for me. No problems since resetting a unit.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:37 AM   #29
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Update… I replaced one of two units with a new reactor from elusive wildlife. It’s working like a champ. They also emailed me about resetting the unit like a post earlier in this thread. It worked also on unit 2 of 2.

The additional instructions suggested I Cover the solar panel and hold the test button for a few seconds. It resets the unit and you should be good unless you have a dead port. This method worked for me. No problems since resetting a unit.
Ive done both but not at the same time. Ill try that
Old 10-14-2022, 11:36 AM   #30
strongbow
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfootwolff View Post
I have a Tactacam XB with the Reaktor solar panel, but also put alkaline batteries in it as a backup in the event the solar panel didn't charge properly. Camera has been out 3 weeks and battery life has stayed at 100%, with approximately 1000 pictures taken, so it appears mine is working. I know when I bought my Reaktor at the Elusive Wildlife booth at the TTHA Extravaganza back in August the representative told me they have a 1 year warranty, so hopefully if the Reaktor is bad they will agree to replace it. Please update what Elusive Wildlife tells you, that way if any of us that have them begin to experience the same problem, your experience might help.
I've had it happen to me as well. Hopefully there is a response.
strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2022, 08:38 AM   #31
TheWidowMaker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Menard

Going to have to pull 3 Reaktor's from the field and send them back. Bought them in the last couple months after that Deal Alert was on here. Put two cameras out with no backup batteries in them and they died one day apart showing 90% battery life, third camera is obviously running off the batteries left in the camera but slowly fading. Seems like I got one week of power out of each Reaktor and they just shutdown. Going to make some 12v feeder battery boxes to run off of. Not impressed with these Reaktors one bit.
TheWidowMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-19-2022, 09:02 AM   #32
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWidowMaker View Post
Going to have to pull 3 Reaktor's from the field and send them back. Bought them in the last couple months after that Deal Alert was on here. Put two cameras out with no backup batteries in them and they died one day apart showing 90% battery life, third camera is obviously running off the batteries left in the camera but slowly fading. Seems like I got one week of power out of each Reaktor and they just shutdown. Going to make some 12v feeder battery boxes to run off of. Not impressed with these Reaktors one bit.
Ive flipped, charged and pushed the buttons on mine with same issues. Emailing them shortly.
Old 10-23-2022, 10:51 AM   #33
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Update....Sending mine back for a replacement

Old 11-01-2022, 05:49 PM   #34
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Well mine stopped sending pics. Were at 100% and then stopped. No internal batteries in two tactacams. Heading down this weekend and will assess if the panel is the issue.
TeamAmerica is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2022, 05:52 PM   #35
El General
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Update....Sending mine back for a replacement

I need to do the same.
Old 11-01-2022, 09:19 PM   #36
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

Picked one up today at Bucees

After reading this thread, I’m hoping for the best
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2022, 11:57 PM   #37
Yelladog
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
I need to do the same.

Sent mine back today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yelladog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2022, 11:59 PM   #38
Black Ice
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jefferson & Brooks County

I was looking for a solution because they quit making the cams with the solar panels attached.

Ordered the Tactacam brand solar panel from Amazon so hopefully that works much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2022, 12:01 AM   #39
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayW View Post

I picked mine up Friday charged it Saturday. Put it out Sunday and worked like a champ so far. My lithium batteries lasted exactly 28 days and camera died.

Follow the instructions. Cord A for tactacam and hit the button on reactor. I checked mine before going into field on a browning camera I had in my garage. It fired up 100 % so I feel it would work.

manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2022, 12:02 AM   #40
El General
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayW View Post

I have three that are working like champs.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:55 PM   #41
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
I picked mine up Friday charged it Saturday. Put it out Sunday and worked like a champ so far. My lithium batteries lasted exactly 28 days and camera died.

Follow the instructions. Cord A for tactacam and hit the button on reactor. I checked mine before going into field on a browning camera I had in my garage. It fired up 100 % so I feel it would work.

Well at this point the Reaktor is a POS. Lasted 5 days. Did everything on the instructions even tested at home.

Got in the field set it up test picture worked perfect. Camera showed 100% and all 4 red lights on Reaktor were lit. Camera died at 60% showing in app.

Went out today to add batteries and remove the POS. Reaktor had a very light red blinking light. Removed it and it died.

Will not try again will try something else. Will take to elusive and see what they say. For the record bought it at Bucees in Baytown.

manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2022, 10:12 PM   #42
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, Neb, Illinois, MEXICO

Man they must’ve had a bad big batch put out. We’ve got 5 out all working but another member bought some a year later and having same issues y’all are

drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2022, 10:16 PM   #43
Plan B
Six Point

Quote:

Update….. So I can’t get these things to last over 5 days. It’s like the solar panel is not charging the batteries. Going back to AA’s
Old 11-08-2022, 08:11 AM   #44
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
Well at this point the Reaktor is a POS. Lasted 5 days. Did everything on the instructions even tested at home.

Got in the field set it up test picture worked perfect. Camera showed 100% and all 4 red lights on Reaktor were lit. Camera died at 60% showing in app.

Went out today to add batteries and remove the POS. Reaktor had a very light red blinking light. Removed it and it died.

Will not try again will try something else. Will take to elusive and see what they say. For the record bought it at Bucees in Baytown.

I called them and we went over the issues on the phone. I had family obligations and couldnt get to conroe for at least a week so they emailed me a return label. They are supposed to mail me a replacement but I aint got it yet.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:49 AM   #45
ryno1021
Four Point

Hunt In: South central Kansas, NW Oklahoma

I’ve got 20 tactacams, 10 with reaktor panels and 10 with external battery boxes. I’m having same issues with solar panels and external battery box so that tells me it’s the camera not the solar panel or box. They all seemed to work fine until the first cold weather in kansas.
ryno1021 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2022, 08:54 AM   #46
TCB
Ten Point

I bought 3 on the deal and put one of them on my Tactacam with the lithium battery. Kept wondering why it wasn't holding a charge on the battery with direct sunlight from sunrise until almost sunset. Guess I have my answer.
TCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2022, 05:36 PM   #47
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Called elusive this afternoon to check the status of my replacement since the return was dropped to them on the 28th of October.

They tell me it takes 2-3 weeks to process a return and get the replacement out.

I'd recommend taking yourself if all all possible

Old 11-08-2022, 05:40 PM   #48
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:
Called elusive this afternoon to check the status of my replacement since the return was dropped to them on the 28th of October.

They tell me it takes 2-3 weeks to process a return and get the replacement out.

Ouch, just miss a month of deer season
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2022, 05:43 PM   #49
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
Ouch, just miss a month of deer season
Yea.

I can walk in and get a replacement or wait 3 weeks for someone to put a new one in the box we've already used, slap a label in and wait for the mailman. I won't be rushing out to spend money there again

Old 11-08-2022, 05:46 PM   #50
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:

That’s terrible customer service.

Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top