Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 09-28-2022, 10:44 AM   #1
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County
Default New Remington offering.

Anyone see the new rifle Remington is bringing out soon?

https://youtu.be/I8m53wpXp6I

Very interesting. Glad to see them bring a higher quality offering to the table and leave the economy gun game alone.

Depending on price point and calibers offered Iíd sure like to get my hands on one.
SwampBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 10:58 AM   #2
kcnatural
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mills CO.

Pretty nice, looks like its threaded too.

Flinch at :57
kcnatural is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:01 AM   #3
1sickLT1
Four Point

Hunt In: All over

I'm interested what price point they will be offering this at. I personally feel Remington has been overpriced for a while now compared to other manufacturers firearms with similar features.
1sickLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:04 AM   #4
dclifton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lindale Tx, Crowell Tx, pearsall Tx

Looks like the 788 and 700 had a kid.
dclifton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:09 AM   #5
TKP1991
Eight Point

Now we will have to play the same games as with Savage when we buy scope bases or after market parts for Remington, doesn’t look like it does anything for me that my old Remington doesn’t do but I never had the issues everyone on line talks about.
TKP1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:09 AM   #6
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

That looks nice but it won't amount to anything if it's crap like everything they produce over the last 25 years. Time will tell though. Hopefully they're back in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnatural View Post
LOL I saw that too
Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:12 AM   #7
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I'm glad to see they're stepping out of their 30 year old box and trying to be competitive with a feature rich rifle.

Hopefully the quality is up there with others in the factory offering and price is competitive. They have a huge hurdle to overcome with the likes of Bergara, Tikka, Savage and Browning. Not to mention the simi-customs like Fierce and Seekins at the $2k price point.
Slick8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:20 AM   #8
ultrastealth
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
I'm glad to see they're stepping out of their 30 year old box and trying to be competitive with a feature rich rifle.

Hopefully the quality is up there with others in the factory offering and price is competitive. They have a huge hurdle to overcome with the likes of Bergara, Tikka, Savage and Browning. Not to mention the simi-customs like Fierce and Seekins at the $2k price point.
The question is "who is they?" Remington itself is gone. It was sold piecemeal, and I don't recall who bought the gun portion of the business.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:23 AM   #9
Raider4044
Ten Point

It seems like they finally listened to a lot of the complaints from the past. AG Stock, a decent Timney trigger, side bolt release, faster twists, better throat lengths, prefit compatibility, and just better QC will be a huge upgrade from the junk rifles Remington has been putting out in the last 10-15 years. Iím looking forward to handling one and think it will do pretty good if they can get MSRP under $1500 and keep their QC in check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raider4044; 09-28-2022 at 11:30 AM.
Raider4044 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:29 AM   #10
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

It will have to gain a reputation to shoot out of the box like a tikka to gain any traction like the 700 of old.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 11:35 AM   #11
krtnorris
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas & Ohio

Not impressed
krtnorris is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 03:09 PM   #12
jdg13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Someplace, TX

Kinda reminds me of what they did with the 870 "fieldmaster." Take an 870 express, put a slightly better finish , throw some low grade walnut on it, and do a tiny bit of smoothing on the action. Voila, a new gun that is better than the last 10 years, but still junk compared to the original. Hopefully they'll make a decent rifle with some of the "custom" features that are in right now, but I don't trust Remington not to throw a stock and trigger on a econo gun and call it good.
jdg13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 03:43 PM   #13
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Coke Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

It will be interesting to see what comes of it. With all the issues Remington had with QC etc.. I bet everyone who tests them out and gets their hands on them first to review them will do their best to gut it. I hope it regains the respect that was lost.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 04:33 PM   #14
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuramaxDude View Post
It will be interesting to see what comes of it. With all the issues Remington had with QC etc.. I bet everyone who tests them out and gets their hands on them first to review them will do their best to gut it. I hope it regains the respect that was lost.
Iím optimistic for it. Hope to see the big green regain a little respect.
Time will tell though
Old 09-28-2022, 05:22 PM   #15
WhiplashTX
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post

They have a lot of ground to make up and stiff competition as you mentioned. I'm afraid they aren't going to make the price point though.

As far as the gun I like the extended magazine and faster twist but the straight trigger doesn't belong on a precision rifle.
WhiplashTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 05:42 PM   #16
trophy8
Pope & Young

I’m not sure what you guys that aren’t impressed with it are thinking.

90% of rifles folks build have every one of those features.

Great stock maker. Decent trigger. Quality DBM and a long OAL capability. The easiest scope ring system to mount a scope on. Fluting. Threading. One piece(much stronger) bolt body with interchangeable knobs. Fluted bolt. Cerakote. Side bolt release.

They checked every box you can except for the grip angle.

If it shoots it’ll be a home run for them.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 05:59 PM   #17
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point

Bergara clone?
Old Bald Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 07:31 PM   #18
SwampBuck
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Iím not sure what you guys that arenít impressed with it are thinking.

Great stock maker. Decent trigger. Quality DBM and a long OAL capability. The easiest scope ring system to mount a scope on. Fluting. Threading. One piece(much stronger) bolt body with interchangeable knobs. Fluted bolt. Cerakote. Side bolt release.

If it shoots itíll be a home run for them.
Agreed
Old 09-28-2022, 09:16 PM   #19
RifleBowPistol
Pope & Young

There are some interesting changes there. I would hope they offer many of those features with other 700 models. Not bad, not bad. I am curious about the price?
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 09:25 PM   #20
kck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Colorado and Maverick County

Looks like a better rifle than they've put out in a long time... BUT, c'mon man (in my best molester in chief voice) hammer forged barrels? Yeah, fine they're mass producing but at least go with some decent button rifled barrels if you're gonna market this thing with all the bells and whistles of some pseudo-custom stuff.
kck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 09:55 PM   #21
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

I for one am glad to see them finally listen to the market. I hope they come back in strong fashion.

There is a reason that they are the most copied pattern on the market for custom actions and yuuuuuggggeee aftermarket support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 10:27 PM   #22
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnatural View Post
Pretty nice, looks like its threaded too.

Lol

FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 02:48 PM   #23
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

It's the offspring of the Rem 700 that had sEx with a Browning X-bolt offspring that had SeX with a Savage that was bred to a Bergara. It's the trigger that worries me.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 02:54 PM   #24
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

Pure ugliness... Cheap looking black, plastic, junk like that dam sure isn't what made Remington famous and once so popular.. The pretty wood and deep, high luster, bluing on a BDL and an 1100 did that.. And the 700's out of the box accuracy..
Now just more ugly black and cheap molded plastic.. SMDH..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 09-29-2022 at 02:57 PM.
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 03:09 PM   #25
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
Pure ugliness... Cheap looking black, plastic, junk like that dam sure isn't what made Remington famous and once so popular.. The pretty wood and deep, high luster, bluing on a BDL and an 1100 did that.. And the 700's out of the box accuracy..
You need to do some research on AG Composites. They ainít cheap plastic. That was an excellent move on Remingtons part. While I too enjoy pretty wood stocks, thatís not what moves these days.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:19 PM   #26
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
You need to do some research on AG Composites. They ainít cheap plastic. That was an excellent move on Remingtons part. While I too enjoy pretty wood stocks, thatís not what moves these days.
If the pretty wood still existed they would out sell black plastic guns 5 to 1 but pretty wood is very expensive and black plastic or composite is much cheaper, fast and easy.. That is the real reason gun manufacturers went with it.. It was soley based on cost savings and it shows..
Old 09-29-2022, 03:24 PM   #27
Raider4044
Ten Point

Quote:

First of all, AG Composite stocks are not cheap, nor are they made of plastic. They are carbon fiber and used on tons of custom rifles. No comparison to some of the Tupperware stocks you see on lots of budget rifles.

I love a nice wood/blued rifle as well, but this isnít 1970. Iíd venture to say composite stocked rifles out sell wood at least 10:1. I imagine they will eventually come out with a wood model, but it would be stupid for them to not start of with a quality composite option.

Old 09-29-2022, 03:24 PM   #28
Raider4044
Ten Point

Quote:

You beat me to it. Lol

Old 09-29-2022, 03:43 PM   #29
Artos
Pope & Young

Composites were developed for accuracy & hunting...they do not absorb moisture like a traditional wooden stock.

It would be cheaper to slap on a plain no-grained woody.
Old 09-29-2022, 04:00 PM   #30
1longshot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Gonzales and Lavaca Counties

Looks to be an awesome gun, can’t wait to get my hands on one. The last Remington I bought was an AWR. To me it was a nice rifle but I moved away from it due to accuracy issues. Hopefully this new one will shoot like my old sendero’s.
1longshot is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 04:04 PM   #31
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

I hope this does well.

Boutique rifle makers sure put out good products but it's comforting knowing we still have huge manufacturers putting out guns for the regular guys.
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 04:19 PM   #32
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land

Quote:
Iím not sure what you guys that arenít impressed with it are thinking.

If it shoots itíll be a home run for them.
if that rifle is priced at $2299 , would you still buy it ?

what is the price break point before you invest in one ?

Just asking since I respect your opinion and your money

personally, I built custom rifles just like that 20+ years ago. I have zero interest in the new Remington since what I already own trumps that rifle all day long.

IMO, the new owners of Rem are "stuck like chuck". Remington loyalists' want the old school quality (70's and 80') with an affordable price in the $750-$950 range. Their newest creation, ALPHA 1, is a wanna-be custom rifle yet still has the Remington name but will come with a hefty price tag.

If they can sell that rifle for $1500 it's a good buy for the right person. If the price is $1700+ , you're still buying a factory production rifle as there are far better options available.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 06:04 PM   #33
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Hogg, Kennedy County

They’ll make up for quality and only offer in a 6.5 needmore so everyone can think they can do sniper stuff at sniper ranges except everything will run off.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 06:47 PM   #34
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Blake View Post
if that rifle is priced at $2299 , would you still buy it ?

what is the price break point before you invest in one ?

Just asking since I respect your opinion and your money

personally, I built custom rifles just like that 20+ years ago. I have zero interest in the new Remington since what I already own trumps that rifle all day long.

IMO, the new owners of Rem are "stuck like chuck". Remington loyalists' want the old school quality (70's and 80') with an affordable price in the $750-$950 range. Their newest creation, ALPHA 1, is a wanna-be custom rifle yet still has the Remington name but will come with a hefty price tag.

If they can sell that rifle for $1500 it's a good buy for the right person. If the price is $1700+ , you're still buying a factory production rifle as there are far better options available.
I see it coming in around $1500. Iíd buy a used one for a grand. But, like you, I piece together my own. And thanks to Johnny and thanks to me knowing how to source deals on parts, a full blown custom at 3-3.5k is easy easy to do. Cheaper at times with top shelf parts.

Blake what I see of the rifle world is like optics. People are fast to gain features and give up a touch of quality. You know that barrel isnít a stainless lilja. Seekins uses Rock Creek. Or did. But if built right I think itíll shoot.

Folks spend big bucks on Browningís and Bergara and Springfield and Seekins. Heck look at the new Weatherbys. And half of these donít have these features. Time will tell. I hated to see a legend go down how they did. I hope they come in swinging (they appear to be) and hit a home run. Competition drives innovation.
Old 09-29-2022, 06:48 PM   #35
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Bud View Post
Theyíll make up for quality and only offer in a 6.5 needmore so everyone can think they can do sniper stuff at sniper ranges except everything will run off.
Itís a conspiracy with deer dog owners! They are in on it! Lol
Old 09-29-2022, 07:04 PM   #36
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
If the pretty wood still existed they would out sell black plastic guns 5 to 1 but pretty wood is very expensive and black plastic or composite is much cheaper, fast and easy.. That is the real reason gun manufacturers went with it.. It was soley based on cost savings and it shows..
Weatherby and Cooper and Browning disagree. Pretty wood is still out there. Youíd be surprised how cheap some of that wood is. All 3 mentioned make and made gorgeous wood stocks. They arenít as strong. They arenít as tough. And both comes with accuracy loss. Like you, I truly love a very high figure wood stock. Think English double type. But I know what I use mine for. It wonít work.

Carbon and fiberglass stocks own the market. As does Cerakote and stainless. Pic rails over standard old school scope rings. Threaded barrels. Vertical grips. Fast twist rates. And cool paint.

Iím gonna step on some toes here but fine. Look how many folks line up for the APR deal and wait MONTHS. 7/8 months for a build with all these features. At a much higher price tag. Lots of builders can crank those out in 1-3 months. Now youíre getting one similar off the shelf? Yeah the barrel isnít as good. Bedding likely isnít the same. But for 95% of folks it fits the bill perfectly. Most folks donít use a rifle to even half of its capabilities. Me included these days.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:01 PM   #37
WyoBull
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
It will have to gain a reputation to shoot out of the box like a tikka to gain any traction like the 700 of old.
Agreed! I have several older 700's, a 721 and a 722 that I love. But, since buying a Tikka a couple of years ago, I have no need to look at Remington again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
WyoBull is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 09:03 PM   #38
Jon B
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Looks like it might be worth checking out.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 09:52 PM   #39
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:

AG Composites stocks are far from cheap.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:55 PM   #40
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:

Lol, ok because wood never moves or warps in wet, cold, hot, etc conditions.

I like the looks of a wood stock as much as anybody but the composites are much more stable and impervious to varying conditions.

I took my pretty circa 1980 Remington 1100 coastal duck hunting. That was a dumb mistake. Guys shooting their parkerized and composite stocked shotguns tried to tell me. But I took all I had at the time. It **** near ruined that gun.

Last edited by Mike D; 09-29-2022 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:06 PM   #41
Wayspr
Eight Point

Hunt In: Medina County

Who is Remington these days? It’s nothing but a brand some are still loyal to. We’ll have to see if they make quality stuff.
Wayspr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 10:46 PM   #42
trophy8
Pope & Young

https://sgbonline.com/roundhill-grou...gton-firearms/

RoundHill group purchased Remington Arms
Old 09-29-2022, 11:04 PM   #43
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point

My kind of 700.
Attached Images

Last edited by Old Bald Guy; 09-29-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Old Bald Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 11:21 PM   #44
Artos
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
Agreed! I have several older 700's, a 721 and a 722 that I love. But, since buying a Tikka a couple of years ago, I have no need to look at Remington again.
IF they could deliver this Alpha with tikka accuracy in a $1200 price point it could likely put them back on the map.

$1500 plus & the old big green fans will keep searching for minty senderos / vssf's.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:33 PM   #45
Raider4044
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
IF they could deliver this Alpha with tikka accuracy in a $1200 price point it could likely put them back on the map.

$1500 plus & the old big green fans will keep searching for minty senderos / vssf's.

Thereís no way theyíll get it to around $1200. If it comes in under $1500, Iíll be somewhat surprised.

Last edited by Raider4044; 09-29-2022 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:46 PM   #46
snipermedic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Arkansas

I’m interested is calibers. And corrected twist rates.
snipermedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 12:37 AM   #47
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Bud View Post
Theyíll make up for quality and only offer in a 6.5 needmore so everyone can think they can do sniper stuff at sniper ranges except everything will run off.
Uh Oh.. You had to say it....

Not a bad review by Ron.. It actually sounds like might be a decent rifle..

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3TAzWcM7pG4NkS