Good scope under 1k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good scope under 1k

Hey guys, looking for recommendation on a quality scope under 1k. Hunting rig only. Currently own several Leupold hd5 scopes and am very happy with them, just wanting to see if anything else to look at.

Optics, scopes, & more for the precision marksman and serious hunter - Nightforce, Swarovski Optik, Vortex, Sako, Leica, Blaser, Tikka, Trijicon, & many more.

Probably come out right out or slightly above what you’re wanting to spend, but these are good scopes.

Comment

As of now hard to beat a Zeiss Conquest 4x16 for around 900$

Comment

Swarovski Z3 line

Comment

I’ve got some vx5hd’s that I really like.
          Recently bought 2 trijicon credos and have really been impressed with them

Comment

Zeiss!

Comment

I'm just the messenger here, but go over to Rokslide and look at some the scope tests being done. They use them hard...not just sitting in a deer blind.

The most important thing is that it holds zero and tracks. Frontrunners are Nightforce, SWFA, Burris, Schmidt & Bender, Trijicon.

Vortex, Leupold, and Zeiss poop the bed frequently.

Comment

I like my Leupold VX5HD and it can be found for around that price.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                  I like my Leupold VX5HD and it can be found for around that price.
                  Don’t want to hijack the thread. But I used to love Leupold but the last few experiences with them through shooting friends firearms they seem dim in low light settings. Did they finally fix that issue? If so Leupold all the way.

Comment

Swfa 3x15x42

Comment

Originally posted by TxxAgg View Post
                      I'm just the messenger here, but go over to Rokslide and look at some the scope tests being done. They use them hard...not just sitting in a deer blind.

The most important thing is that it holds zero and tracks. Frontrunners are Nightforce, SWFA, Burris, Schmidt & Bender, Trijicon.

Vortex, Leupold, and Zeiss poop the bed frequently.
                      I think it is important to remember that certain forums and populations certainly have noticeable brand biases and brand loyalties, rokslide is far from immune to that. I do like when they have quantifiable information and data to back the reviews--- however the anecdotal brand bashers love to jump on quickly.

Follow Sniper's Hide and pick up the latest information on all things precision rifle related. Sniper's Hide Training is for the serious tactical marksman.

This link is pretty good when it comes to twisting turrets and quantifiable data. Most brands, to include NF ATACR are not immune from imperfect tracking but some have a greater size variance or greater recurrence of issues. That link goes to show exactly why anecdotal evidence like you suggested doesn't hold water-- the Vortex Razor Gen2 and AMG both tracked as well or better than the ATACRs. But- the sample size isn't large or perfect.

In my experience having owned and shot behind a majority of those brands there are certainly pros and cons and tracking perfection is a variable to consider. I've probably owned a dozen VX5HD, VX6HDs and so far so good. I did have issues with zeiss v4s but also with a swaro Z5 and there were other things I didn't like on those scopes.

For the OPs budget, outside of a VX5HD there isn't much comparable. The Burris XTRIIs don't touch the quality of the Vx5HD but I've see the new XTRIII for less than $1k new but haven't been behind one. I think some of the older Bushnell models (DMR, LRHS) would be worth a look but theyre mainly MIL versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Southern Horns View Post
                        Don’t want to hijack the thread. But I used to love Leupold but the last few experiences with them through shooting friends firearms they seem dim in low light settings. Did they finally fix that issue? If so Leupold all the way.
                        Compared to the Vortex I was coming from, it's a 'night and day' difference; compared to my friend's NX8, the nightforce has the VX5HD pretty easily beat on brightness and clarity (but also above the $1000 budget). I haven't looked through a Zeiss Conquest but have always heard good things. For the price, I like the VX5HD. I've heard differing opinions on Leopold's dialing but mine has always dialed great and returned to zero without an issue. I also like the zero stop on the elevation turret.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                          Compared to the Vortex I was coming from, it's a 'night and day' difference; compared to my friend's NX8, the nightforce has the VX5HD pretty easily beat on brightness and clarity (but also above the $1000 budget). I haven't looked through a Zeiss Conquest but have always heard good things. For the price, I like the VX5HD. I've heard differing opinions on Leopold's dialing but mine has always dialed great and returned to zero without an issue. I also like the zero stop on the elevation turret.
                          The NX8 is garbage. I’d rank the vx5 over it all day with exception to turret reliability. I hated my NX8s. Finicky eye box and sub par glass. ATACR for that kind of money.

Comment

Take a look at Arken Scopes. Very reasonably priced with alot of nice features.

Comment

Check out Athlon Optics. I have several of them and they are reasonably priced

Comment

Working...
                              X