My will was tested on this Elk hunt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My will was tested on this Elk hunt.

This elk hunt started back in April when I drew a New Mexico elk tag. May the 10th I was fishing with my wife and I slipped in the boat and fell down and tore my rotator cuff, And on May the 19th I had rotator cuff surgery. I really didn't know if I was going to be able to pull my bow back within the 17 weeks that I had to get prepared for this hunt. On week 12 I was able to start practicing with my bow at 40 lb, and by week 14 I was shooting 60 lb efficiently. Two days before I leave to go on the elk hunt I'm hanging the TV and I'm using my left arm more than normal because of my rotator cuff surgery, and while I'm holding the TV up with my left arm I popped a tendon in my left arm, but was somehow able to pull my bow back. I leave for the elk hunt by myself on September the 13th I arrive in New Mexico that evening. The 14th I get up and start scouting find a few elk that afternoon I go to the top of a mountain to scout on the backside of it. I start heading down at dark slip on a rock and fell directly on my shoulder that I just had surgery on 17 weeks before. I lay on the side of the mountain for 30 minutes trying to figure out what my next move would be finally get up make it to the truck go back to where I'm staying, I get up the next morning and I cannot draw my bow. Thank God I had some 800 mg ibuprofen I took that and by the afternoon I was somehow able to pull my bow back. This hunt I planned on being really selective and try to kill a giant bull but at this point I made my mind up that the first old bull that came out I was going to try to kill him. I called this bull out, and I knew he was an older bull gave me a shot at 18 yd broadside, it was an easy shot he ran 60 yd and fell over dead. I turned 60 years old in a few months and I think God was really testing me, that if I didn't call on him for his help, there is no way I would have gotten this done. So, Thank you God!

FYI The Rainbow in the pic is what I saw the day after I fell on the mountain. After seeing that I felt like God was saying it all going to be ok

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Congrats on an awesome trophy.

Comment

For what you have been thru that is an amazing accomplishment. Just killing a bull elk is an accomplishment in itself, but you suffered thru some tough goings to kill this bull.

A huge congrats to what I think is an awesome bull and to your determination to kill one. Not sure I could have done what you did!

Comment

Wow! What a story and what a bull. Big congratulations to you!!!

Comment

Awesome Bull. Congrats

Comment

That's a huge bull! Did you get help packing it out?

Comment

Congrats and thanks for the write up!!

Comment

Big Congrats and wow!

Comment

Man that is awesome and a very cool(maybe not fun) story.

Comment

Wow, congratulations bud!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                        That's a huge bull! Did you get help packing it out?
                        Yes sir, I have a buddy that lives close to there and he packed it out for me.

Comment

That's awesome congrats! How is the shoulder now?

Comment

You stayed the path and God blessed you. Now
                            If you can keep it on 2 feet you’ll be alright. Congrats buddy. I saw a Super Duty at Buccees in Luling earlier with a giant say of Elk horns in the back. Man even that got the heart pumping and I’ve never even Elk hunted. I’m starting to get the itch though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
                              You stayed the path and God blessed you. Now
                              If you can keep it on 2 feet you’ll be alright. Congrats buddy. I saw a Super Duty at Buccees in Luling earlier with a giant say of Elk horns in the back. Man even that got the heart pumping and I’ve never even Elk hunted. I’m starting to get the itch though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              That was me at Buccees

Comment

Working...
                              X