Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 07-31-2022, 10:26 AM   #1
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown County
Default Does this year??

What are y'all doing with does this year? Considering the drought I can see 2 extreme sides with one being shoot more does than normal to remove mouths & help out range conditions and the other being leave all does to have more fawns since this years fawn crop may be nothing. With option 2 assuming a normal year next year does would need to be hammered to get back to numbers next year. I guess the third option is do the same as always and take a normal amount of does. So what are y'all planning on doing and why?
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 10:29 AM   #2
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Maybe 1 or 2. Our deer have a rough time with all the yotes around us. This year all the surrounding ranches are pretty bare for cover with the drought. We have alot of cover with no cows ,but dang yotes are always roaming.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 10:31 AM   #3
texasdeerhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

We haven’t been affected as bad by the drought, and we have too many deer on our property, so we are going to be aggressive on our doe harvest
texasdeerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 07:19 PM   #4
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown County

Looking at TC pics we have a few fawns showing up and the does don't look as bad as expected. We have been feeding and we got a good soaking rain in mid June that greened everything up for a bit. It is dry as a bone now but the deer don't look as bad as they could. We may shoot a few does but I don't think it will be as many as a normal year.
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 07:23 PM   #5
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville

My plan for my exemption was to shoot does this year and no bucks. Will check with the TP &W biologist and see what he recommends this year
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 07:57 PM   #6
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

I've been invited on 3 doe hunts. 2 are MLD.

I'd hunt as normal. As droughts are normal. Nothing new.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 08:00 PM   #7
Hills of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

Hunt as you normally would. Deer are overpopulated in most areas in Texas. Get the numbers down and they will benefit in the future.
Hills of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-31-2022, 08:36 PM   #8
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

I’ll hunt the same as always. One buck two does if I have room in the freezer.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 02:05 PM   #9
deerwatcher51
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
We haven’t been affected as bad by the drought, and we have too many deer on our property, so we are going to be aggressive on our doe harvest
This except does and bucks.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 02:52 PM   #10
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brown Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
I've been invited on 3 doe hunts. 2 are MLD.

I'd hunt as normal. As droughts are normal. Nothing new.
Worst drought in 70 years in “the Big Country”.
This ain’t normal. 60 days over 100 degrees prior to August.

We won’t be harvesting any does. I was trying to raise numbers pre fought.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-01-2022, 03:26 PM   #11
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

My plan is to turn does into cutlets and hamburger meat.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2022, 12:01 PM   #12
Top Of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle

Although the majority of Texas is carrying too many whitetail deer, that remains a site specific question. It comes up about every 7-12 years, our typical wet/dry cycle. I could rattle on for pages on the subject, but will suffice here to boil it down to 3 basic questions.

1. What are the quality browse plants in your area, how much do you have, and what condition are they in? This trumps #1 & #2 below if extreme either way. If you can't find any, or those you can find are either hedged-up or are big trees with a browse line, then go doe killing with vengeance. Don't confuse with livestock use. If quality browse plants are abundant, have long shoots, and seedlings that are knee to head high, then reduce doe harvest.

2. What has the population been doing since 2012? Do you have structured, science based population estimates? If steady or exponential growth then consider doe harvest.

3. How many contiguous acres could be managed? The Kerr Wildlife Management Area, several thousand acres, found out how difficult it is to control population growth back in the late 60's-early 70's. The original motivation for high fence. In most average cases in Texas, a cooperative effort amongst neighbors is needed.

The large properties with few hunters and abused browse are the ones in a real pickle but with great opportunity in a drought year.
Top Of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #13
bfree
Ten Point

I know we are taking another look at the numbers on the lease. Camera survey was good, fawns a little low as we thought it might be with the drought. We did have 3 lighting strikes that took out about 700 acres, so we are thinking, debating and a lot of arguing over the numbers for this year. Going to interesting to see what the state Bio comes back with.

We have a good doe buck ratio and tightly managed yearly.

I guess the questions are:

Same strategy as always.
Take a few more then normal to relief stress on the browse.
Or take fewer than the normal years harvest. Which I think is heavily dependent on the survey numbers!

Any thoughts
bfree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 10:51 AM   #14
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

We do not have a shortage of does and have seen plenty of fawns, so we are hunting as normal and actually probably increase how many does we take.
Kenner97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 11:41 AM   #15
Texashookset
Six Point

Hunt In: Webb

Sticking to our allocated count this year for now anyway. Last year we came up short again of burning through all the doe tags.
Texashookset is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 11:54 AM   #16
Deerguy
Ten Point

No reason at all to take less deer because of the drought, counterintuitive and doesn't really make sense. The whole point of taking does is to even the sex ratio (which drought doesn't affect) and reduce competition for available forage. The effects of competition become even worse during periods of nutritional stress, like drought. So no reason to take less, it just makes matters worse. If anything, take more. But, the actual number to take should be dictated by survey numbers (not just a guess) combined with goals for the property.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 12:05 PM   #17
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

I think it’s gonna be specific to where your property is and how much native browse (and cover) you have. What is your recruitment rate ? As Top Of Texas said, it’s site specific. Five of us on a 350 acre lease that is mostly managed for timber had hardly any does until the owners started some TSI a few years ago. They select cut pine timber and a little hardwood three different times in the last five years. Each time they cut and opened up the canopy the result was more deer browse. Add to that, when I joined the lease we immediately sought out places to plant. This was limited to openings that were already there so most plots are limited in size. We plant several though, so it still gives them quite a bit more to eat. My buddy and I have never killed a doe on this place but I think we could if we wanted to with no ill effects now. None of us need to kill more than one deer each and most years only two to three deer are taken in all, sometimes only one. I don’t shoot a buck unless he’s 3.5 or older and I also hunt at home, so not a lot of pressure. I usually kill a buck there one year, then on my place the next. Not planned, just the way it has worked out. We definitely have more does on camera, and thus more bucks.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 12:28 PM   #18
Jon B
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central Tx and the Western States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
My plan for my exemption was to shoot does this year and no bucks. Will check with the TP &W biologist and see what he recommends this year

I'm not too far from you....after surveys, our recruitment is way down, but we still got a buck to doe ratio that will require lots of slickheads being removed.
Jon B is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 01:08 PM   #19
Texas452
Ten Point

Location: Own property in Burleson,Leon and Coleman counties.
Hunt In: Burleson Coleman Leon counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
Maybe 1 or 2. Our deer have a rough time with all the yotes around us. This year all the surrounding ranches are pretty bare for cover with the drought. We have alot of cover with no cows ,but dang yotes are always roaming.
This our major problem, way too many coyotes.
I had a trapper come in my ranch in Leon county, the first year he caught 6, it made a big difference.
We have lots of bobcat too.
Texas452 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-28-2022, 03:00 PM   #20
Big pig
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
...after surveys, our recruitment is way down, but we still got a buck to doe ratio that will require lots of slickheads being removed.
Low or high fence?
Old 08-28-2022, 03:08 PM   #21
Big pig
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerguy View Post
No reason at all to take less deer because of the drought, counterintuitive and doesn't really make sense. The whole point of taking does is to even the sex ratio (which drought doesn't affect) and reduce competition for available forage. The effects of competition become even worse during periods of nutritional stress, like drought. So no reason to take less, it just makes matters worse. If anything, take more. But, the actual number to take should be dictated by survey numbers (not just a guess) combined with goals for the property.
We have lost 6 deer (4 adults and two fawns I have found) already before the neighbors start shooting. Probably normal numbers.
Surviving Fawns numbers are probably less than half.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:11 PM   #22
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska
Default G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hills of Texas View Post
Hunt as you normally would. Deer are overpopulated in most areas in Texas. Get the numbers down and they will benefit in the future.
This exactly.. We plan on hitting the doe pretty hard this year. More than usual.
The Bucks will catch a break. Not that we ever kill many as it is.
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top