Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-09-2021, 10:44 PM   #1
cehorn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown County
Default Lease Cost N of Brownwood???

I may have an opportunity to lease 600-700 ac north of Brownwood. I would know prior to leasing how much acreage it is but I know it is between 600 and 700. It is raw land: no cabin, electricity or water and roads are limited/rough without some clearing. Plenty of vegetation, tanks and terrain though. It would be exclusive access to the whole place. How much would be a fair price for the whole place? Ive never hunted this area so I have no clue what is reasonable. Thanks in advance.
cehorn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 10:49 PM   #2
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

$10/ac and go up from there a few dollars
Puncher51 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 10:52 PM   #3
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Owner can easily get 15.00 an acre.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 10:58 PM   #4
cehorn
Ten Point

I guess the other question would be how many hunters would you put on the place? Or how many deer would you expect to be able to shoot? Im thinking about the place for my family (myself, wife and 4 kids) but not everyone would be shooting a deer unless the numbers dictated that many does being shot.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:03 PM   #5
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman Tx , Melvin Tx And SW Oklahoma

North as in May area ? Are Cross cut area are by the lake ?
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 11:07 PM   #6
cehorn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss163 View Post
North as in May area ? Are Cross cut area are by the lake ?
Yes, in the May area. East of 183.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:08 PM   #7
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

It would be good for your family. Depending on numbers & comparing to our wildlife co-op suggestions we had in San Saba county ,would be good for 3 bucks. Twice that many does. Not knowing deer numbers for sure in that area, could be less.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-09-2021, 11:14 PM   #8
cehorn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKFVR View Post
It would be good for your family. Depending on numbers & comparing to our wildlife co-op suggestions we had in San Saba county ,would be good for 3 bucks. Twice that many does. Not knowing deer numbers for sure in that area, could be less.
That is ballpark what I was thinking. I was thinking 2-3 bucks and maybe up to 10 does depending on numbers and ratios.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:06 AM   #9
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills/Brown county

Most places around here aren't leasing by the acre but rather by the gun. Ive seen owners put 5-6 people on a 600 acre place and get 2-3k a gun. I would say if you can get it for 8k total your doing good. Theres some big deer in that area.
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
cehorn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RutnBuk View Post
Most places around here aren't leasing by the acre but rather by the gun. Ive seen owners put 5-6 people on a 600 acre place and get 2-3k a gun. I would say if you can get it for 8k total your doing good. Theres some big deer in that area.
Thanks, sounds like somewhere in the $5k to 10k range is what to expect. I'm not sure we will do it for the upper limit of that but would for the lower limit. Meeting with the landowner on Saturday to discuss it. It will all depend on price and what he is thinking more than likely.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #11
RutnBuk
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills/Brown county

Quote:
Originally Posted by cehorn View Post
Thanks, sounds like somewhere in the $5k to 10k range is what to expect. I'm not sure we will do it for the upper limit of that but would for the lower limit. Meeting with the landowner on Saturday to discuss it. It will all depend on price and what he is thinking more than likely.
Good deal and good luck to you.
RutnBuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2021, 11:19 AM   #12
Mike Fangman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranger & Kerrville

Like has been mentioned , around $8,000 - put maybe 4 guys on there at $2,000 a gun. Wouldn't do anymore then that, with no water or electric on the place.
Mike Fangman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #13
axisbuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

with no water electric cabin $6K seems to be average going range
axisbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-10-2021, 02:06 PM   #14
Hoss163
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes, in the May area. East of 183.

Good area if you are up in the hills . With a good population of decent bucks . And will probably be around 7500-8000$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2021, 03:57 PM   #15
cehorn
Ten Point

Thanks for the replies. That gives me a good starting point for my meeting with the landowner.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:40 PM   #16
cehorn
Ten Point

So we leased the 700 acres last year for $9k (just under $13 an acre). Again, this is raw land with no cabin, electricity or water. I thought it was a little high last year but maybe on the upper range considering some of the replies here. The landowner thought he was cutting us a break since we didn't have time to set up before the season, etc. as he closed on the property in early October and we started setting it up.

Anyway, fast forward to this year as our contract is up for renewal. The landowner is selling 100 acres of the 700 acres to a neighbor (closing in January) and hopefully selling the remaining 600 acres to us (still very much up in the air). So he decided to lease the 100 acres the neighbor is buying to him and lease us 600 acres. I'm fine with that except he wants the same price ($9k) with the only improvements being what we have done. So now he is wanting $15 an acre. What do y'all think? I will likely call him and see if he will reduce it for the loss in 100 acres but I'm not going to hold my breath.

In one way he has us over a barrel as we have fed corn all year and everything is set up and ready to hunt. If we walk away we would have multiple days worth of work to get all of our stuff off causing disturbance to everything and taking away hunting time. On the other side, do we have him over a barrel? If we walk, our lease still runs thru the end of October. So, he would have to find somebody to lease it for $9k with an opening day of rifle season move in date. I'm not sure if that is possible but I guess there is always somebody out there willing to pay. What do y'all think?
Old 10-03-2022, 07:22 PM   #17
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Is the owner an older man- I mean older than Bernadelle?
Bucknaked is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 07:23 PM   #18
Phorizt
Eight Point

Hunt In: Public land & Hamilton

I spent 4 years trying to find a lease for me and my kids and would have been thrilled to find something decent and not too far away for $15 an acre. If you think you can find something else then let it go but leases are hard to find. And if you’re gonna buy the place for several million $$ the last thing you want is someone else coming in and shooting it up this year so what’s an extra $2/acre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phorizt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 07:23 PM   #19
TKRanch
Ten Point

Pretty lousy of him to do that to you guys especially if he is truly leasing the 100 acres to the neighbor and getting the $$ from him as well. That said, everything in the world costs more this year than last..... if you stay maybe you can "get some of it back" buying the acreage yourself??? Good luck, bad spot to be in.
TKRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 07:29 PM   #20
Low Fence
Pope & Young

That area for whatever reason will bring $15 an acre instantly. Any day…

Last edited by Low Fence; 10-03-2022 at 07:34 PM.
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 07:59 PM   #21
cehorn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
Is the owner an older man- I mean older than Bernadelle?
Ha, he isn't Moses... He is actually in his 40's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorizt View Post
I spent 4 years trying to find a lease for me and my kids and would have been thrilled to find something decent and not too far away for $15 an acre. If you think you can find something else then let it go but leases are hard to find. And if you’re gonna buy the place for several million $$ the last thing you want is someone else coming in and shooting it up this year so what’s an extra $2/acre?
Agreed and likely what will happen. The other side is true as well. What's a couple thousand when you are likely going to get millions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
That area for whatever reason will bring $15 an acre instantly. Any day…
I guess it is the proximity to FW etc.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:19 PM   #22
walker1983
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany / Colorado City / Paducah / Old Mexico

Quote:
So we leased the 700 acres last year for $9k (just under $13 an acre). Again, this is raw land with no cabin, electricity or water. I thought it was a little high last year but maybe on the upper range considering some of the replies here. The landowner thought he was cutting us a break since we didn't have time to set up before the season, etc. as he closed on the property in early October and we started setting it up.

Anyway, fast forward to this year as our contract is up for renewal. The landowner is selling 100 acres of the 700 acres to a neighbor (closing in January) and hopefully selling the remaining 600 acres to us (still very much up in the air). So he decided to lease the 100 acres the neighbor is buying to him and lease us 600 acres. I'm fine with that except he wants the same price ($9k) with the only improvements being what we have done. So now he is wanting $15 an acre. What do y'all think? I will likely call him and see if he will reduce it for the loss in 100 acres but I'm not going to hold my breath.

In one way he has us over a barrel as we have fed corn all year and everything is set up and ready to hunt. If we walk away we would have multiple days worth of work to get all of our stuff off causing disturbance to everything and taking away hunting time. On the other side, do we have him over a barrel? If we walk, our lease still runs thru the end of October. So, he would have to find somebody to lease it for $9k with an opening day of rifle season move in date. I'm not sure if that is possible but I guess there is always somebody out there willing to pay. What do y'all think?
If yall are trying to buy his remaining acreage - I think you shouldn't hesitate to pay his ask this year. Seems like a drop in the bucket to keep the relationship.
walker1983 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 08:33 PM   #23
Huntsman27
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brownwood, TX

I have been hunting off 183 just south of May for 13 years. We have electricity for trailers and installed a water system. I think you should expect 10-13 per acre
Huntsman27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 08:46 PM   #24
Gerald G
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mississippi, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman27 View Post
I have been hunting off 183 just south of May for 13 years. We have electricity for trailers and installed a water system. I think you should expect 10-13 per acre
Go back and read the whole thread, you’re a year behind.
Gerald G is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 09:26 PM   #25
Txhunter3000
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rockdale/Caldwell

So I guess my question is how did it pan out last year? Must be good deer if you're thinking about buying it. It would help to know allll the facts before throwing out an opinion.
Txhunter3000 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 09:29 PM   #26
Tbull9
Six Point

Hunt In: Crawford, Brownwood

We are paying $12,000 a year for 2,000 acres with water and electric just south of Brownwood. We have 8 guys on it.
Tbull9 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 09:30 PM   #27
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

It would easily be worth $1,500 to me to not have to move everything off this month and try to start over somewhere else.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 09:50 PM   #28
Hoss163
Pope & Young

How is the hunting is the question it must be pretty good if your trying to purchase the property. And if you are trying to purchase it might as well pay what he wants are somebody else will get the foot in the door and purchase it out from underneath you !
Old 10-03-2022, 11:02 PM   #29
cehorn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman27 View Post
This is what i was thinking. I was thinking keep it at $13 an acre and drop the price by 100 acres since he will likely be getting that money still. But, as others have said, it isn't worth messing up the relationship for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
So I guess my question is how did it pan out last year? Must be good deer if you're thinking about buying it. It would help to know allll the facts before throwing out an opinion.
Last year was good. We had a pretty big deer on camera early that showed us what the potential is for the place. We ended up killing a mid 130's 10 point and 2 8 points. The place is beautiful and the leased portion has a really nice tank which adds to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
It would easily be worth $1,500 to me to not have to move everything off this month and try to start over somewhere else.
We would have to move everything off the 600 acres but we wouldn't be starting over as we own the adjacent 500 acres. It would just be a little tighter for the family and a lot of work thrown away.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:05 AM   #30
TKRanch
Ten Point

Quote:
We would have to move everything off the 600 acres but we wouldn't be starting over as we own the adjacent 500 acres. It would just be a little tighter for the family and a lot of work thrown away.
Well, it is probably worth more to you than possibly others since it borders your land IMO. I guess knowing that it borders you now I would ask how much is it worth to NOT have someone else hunting it might be the better question?
TKRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2022, 01:30 AM   #31
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKRanch View Post
Well, it is probably worth more to you than possibly others since it borders your land IMO. I guess knowing that it borders you now I would ask how much is it worth to NOT have someone else hunting it might be the better question?
Agreed…I would pay the extra $2 per acre for the peace of mind that someone else isn’t gonna lease it, put 4-5 guns on it, and have everyone limit out
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2022, 08:38 AM   #32
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

Seems like something could be negotiated for the disputed difference to come out of the purchase price if/when yall buy it.
LeanMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2022, 09:44 AM   #33
175gr7.62
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

Being as you own the adjacent property that would be a no brainer to me.
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2022, 10:48 AM   #34
tpack
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath

I wouldn`t get in a pi$$ing contest over 2 bucks an acre if you liked the place. Just try to lock in that price for as many years as you can. Plenty of people will get in line to pay that price if you walk. Not a good time to be negotiating on price anyway. Should have done that earlier.
tpack is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2022, 11:59 AM   #35
cehorn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanMachine View Post
Seems like something could be negotiated for the disputed difference to come out of the purchase price if/when yall buy it.
We have already discussed a prorated "refund" if we buy it based on when we close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpack View Post
I wouldn`t get in a pi$$ing contest over 2 bucks an acre if you liked the place. Just try to lock in that price for as many years as you can. Plenty of people will get in line to pay that price if you walk. Not a good time to be negotiating on price anyway. Should have done that earlier.
Agree. It wouldn't do any good to lock in a price as this is a 1 year deal, max 2. Our neighbor is selling his place no matter what, it has always been a short term investment property for him. The only question is will we be able to buy it or not. We will either hunt it next year as the owners or have new neighbors...
Old 10-06-2022, 12:02 PM   #36
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Our neighbor is selling his place no matter what, it has always been a short term investment property for him. The only question is will we be able to buy it or not. We will either hunt it next year as the owners or have new neighbors...
Hopefully you're hunting it as the owners
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2022, 12:19 PM   #37
cehorn
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDispatcher View Post
Hopefully you're hunting it as the owners
You and me both!!