Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-02-2022, 06:44 PM   #51
Hills of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

[quote=Big pig;16430251]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hills of Texas View Post
More lions are in Texas now that 50 years ago. They do well enough when left alone. Keep things the way they are and they will do just fine.

Really? I am an old hunter and only seen 4. (Mom and two cubs 45 years ago)
Lots more hunters, traffic snd cameras now. And it is still rare to know someone who recently saw one.
Yea really. I know more about lions in Texas than most. I’ve got some personal history with keeping up on them since I was a kid.
Hills of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 06:50 PM   #52
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
agreed. Never understood why it was nongame anyway. There's a season for them in every other state that allows hunting them.
And the population has skyrocketed in most of them which is bad news. There’s plenty of big cats in Texas. Current system is fine. We are mostly private land. Almost all of the states you reference are not. Big difference.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 06:51 PM   #53
M16
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, LaSalle, McCulloch Counties

Quote:
agreed. Never understood why it was nongame anyway. There's a season for them in every other state that allows hunting them.
Same reason there’s no season on coyotes and bobcats. They are predators not game animals. Pretty soon you won’t be able to hunt anything except for a couple of months out of the year. We’ll be just like California.
M16 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 06:58 PM   #54
wtx223
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
You can hunt lions now. Making them a game animal with a season will not increase hunting opportunities. In fact, probably decrease opportunity because of time restraints due to “season”.

More lions=less deer, elk, aoudad, sheep etc to hunt.
wtx223 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 07:26 PM   #55
wtx223
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
Best case scenario is that this study shows just what you see Gary, an increasing population. No need for protection of any kind. That is what the non hunting groups are really pushing , hoping a study shows low numbers so they can start with limiting take then saying they need protection down the line.
I still think you need some but not to the detriment of other wildlife and domestic livestock.

Get your voices heard with TPW, don't just vent on here.
Comment on this proposal.
Enough hunters stepping up and commenting will get noticed.
Document sightings, trail cam pics etc.
Evidence of a healthy population is what they need to see.
Study could show a huge lion population and it would not matter to the people behind this petition. They have an agenda, and if tpwd does not give in to them, they will try other ways to get this passed.

Lions populations are thriving between absentee landowners, less trapping, less hound hunting, less cattle ranchers etc.

Sharing pictures with these people, not a chance. And I get a picture a week of a different lion at least.
wtx223 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 09:08 PM   #56
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtx223 View Post
Study could show a huge lion population and it would not matter to the people behind this petition. They have an agenda, and if tpwd does not give in to them, they will try other ways to get this passed.

Lions populations are thriving between absentee landowners, less trapping, less hound hunting, less cattle ranchers etc.

Sharing pictures with these people, not a chance. And I get a picture a week of a different lion at least.
Let me come kill one! I’ll bring beer and food
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 09:34 PM   #57
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

If the population is thriving there is no need for government intervention, I.e regulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 07:24 AM   #58
Terrell_County
Four Point

Hunt In: Terrell county

This morning
Attached Images

Terrell_County is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 09:16 AM   #59
MtnMike
Six Point

Hunt In: East Texas, South Texas, Montana,Nebraska, Wyoming and New Mexico

If this is allowed, you open a Pandera's Box for other "Non-Hunter" (anti-hunter) groups to infiltrate Texas with Regulations intent on the obstruction of hunting anything. The Friends of Coyotes Coalition, Feral Hogs United, The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty of Racoons, etc, etc! Do not California my Texas!!!
MtnMike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:52 AM   #60
bpa556
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell County

[quote=Big pig;16430251]
Quote:
More lions are in Texas now that 50 years ago. They do well enough when left alone. Keep things the way they are and they will do just fine.

Lots more hunters, traffic snd cameras now. And it is still rare to know someone who recently saw one.

Yes, really.

There are a lot more deer in Texas today than have ever existed here…ever. Deer is the main prey of lions.

Ranchers don’t kill as many lions as they used to because there are more deer for lions to eat. Healthy lions don’t kill livestock if they have deer to eat.

Texas is, effectively, all privately owned. Hunting pressure on lions is limited to that which a landowner allows. That’s a whole lot less pressure that western public lands get.

More preferred food, less targeted lion killing and severely limited opportunistic lion killing equals more lions. Habitat-gobbling urban sprawl is non-existent in prime lion country in Texas.

Lions are doing fine in Texas and folks clamoring about them becoming over-populated and wiping out deer populations are just as silly as those on the other side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bpa556 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 11:43 AM   #61
TexasAg2002
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx

We just got one on camera just North of Uvalde
TexasAg2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 11:56 AM   #62
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville

it was about 18 months ago when TPW sent an alert out that mountain lions could no longer be shot from a helicopter. I believe it was march 1 2021, because we flew our place on march 2 that year, and the pilot said it just came out the day before.
kyle1974 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 11:57 AM   #63
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Quote:
You can hunt lions now. Making them a game animal with a season will not increase hunting opportunities. In fact, probably decrease opportunity because of time restraints due to “season”.

More lions=less deer, elk, aoudad, sheep etc to hunt.
Quote:

Exactly, Jim. The people behind this don't care about lion populations. They just want to find a way to start chipping away at hunting and trapping and landowner rights to protect livestock. This proposal should get ZERO support from hunters and rational people in general.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #64
piercebronkite
Six Point

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Im sure the Deep in The Heart Documentary that was released this summer also helped spread the propaganda of trapping/killing of mountain lions.

It was a good film about Texas and its species but they were certainly spreading an agenda.

***Edit - just realized this was covered in an earlier post**
piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #65
tmstuk
Eight Point

Hunt In: Milam County

[quote=Hills of Texas;16430894]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post

Yea really. I know more about lions in Texas than most. I’ve got some personal history with keeping up on them since I was a kid.
I've searched for your story but either it's gone or I suk at searching (probably the later).
Could you please re-post your story.

Thanks
tmstuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:17 PM   #66
Hills of Texas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano

I was the first person to be attacked in Big Bend National Park when I was a kid. Took 14 operations to put back in one piece.
Hills of Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 01:51 PM   #67
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

It's the creation of a broad spectrum advisory committee that bothers me. This is how they all start - animal rights wackos join the committee and slowly push out the factual biologists, landowners, etc. Then they start recommending more and more restrictions on hunting certain species, then they recommend changes in the laws. Whether or not the committee goes forward, we need to be diligent in making sure our reps and TPWD KNOW where we stand on all issues.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 05:22 PM   #68
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brown Co.

I don’t know anything about mountain lions.
So I’m out of this. But I don’t think there are too many in this goat/sheep area Of central Texas.

For the record, I kill every varmint, predator and fawn/turkey killer I can on our place.
Last cougar I saw was in Webb County 3 yrs ago. Really big ranch. Ranch manager was surprised and shocked as I was.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-03-2022, 10:42 PM   #69
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
It's the creation of a broad spectrum advisory committee that bothers me. This is how they all start - animal rights wackos join the committee and slowly push out the factual biologists, landowners, etc. Then they start recommending more and more restrictions on hunting certain species, then they recommend changes in the laws. Whether or not the committee goes forward, we need to be diligent in making sure our reps and TPWD KNOW where we stand on all issues.
I totally get where you're coming from but also expect this will likely go the same way the bow fishing studies did. TPWD is know for doing a study, tossing the data in the trash and doing what they wanted to from the get-go.
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 09:32 AM   #70
SabreKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

The fact that people from "non hunting" groups are on the committee should tell you what's going to happen.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2022, 10:08 PM   #71
Draco
Pope & Young

`If TPWD is doing it then it will get screwed up. Our tax dollars are paying for their screw up with the small mouth bass/Guadalupe bass fiasco right now.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2022, 06:16 AM   #72
stickbow
Six Point

Hunt In: Goliad
Default dont cali my texas

Quote:
More lions are in Texas now that 50 years ago. They do well enough when left alone. Keep things the way they are and they will do just fine. This is California come to Texas crap.
100% this, Plenty of cats but does not mean your kids will ever see one!
stickbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2022, 09:33 AM   #73
Dusty Britches
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnMike View Post
If this is allowed, you open a Pandera's Box for other "Non-Hunter" (anti-hunter) groups to infiltrate Texas with Regulations intent on the obstruction of hunting anything. The Friends of Coyotes Coalition, Feral Hogs United, The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty of Racoons, etc, etc! Do not California my Texas!!!
^^ *

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
I totally get where you're coming from but also expect this will likely go the same way the bow fishing studies did. TPWD is know for doing a study, tossing the data in the trash and doing what they wanted to from the get-go.
Don't let past performance confuse future predictions. Society is in a constant state of flux and just because the laws went one way several years ago doesn't mean it will continue on the same path.
Dusty Britches is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2022, 03:53 PM   #74
donpablo
Ten Point

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Britches View Post
^^ *

Don't let past performance confuse future predictions. Society is in a constant state of flux and just because the laws went one way several years ago doesn't mean it will continue on the same path.
Speaking of the word hope, anyone know anything about the new guy running TPWD? Is he gonna be better than the last guy? Won't take much.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:07 PM   #75
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
Speaking of the word hope, anyone know anything about the new guy running TPWD? Is he gonna be better than the last guy? Won't take much.
Is this him?

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...b/10037167007/
Old 10-05-2022, 04:11 PM   #76
Texas452
Ten Point

Location: Own property in Burleson,Leon and Coleman counties.
Hunt In: Burleson Coleman Leon counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnMike View Post
Exactly.
Texas452 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2022, 04:14 PM   #77
crc
Six Point

Jackson County better not have a limit. Place is overran with mountain lions.
crc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2022, 04:23 PM   #78
M16
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by crc View Post
Jackson County better not have a limit. Place is overran with mountain lions.
I've only seen cougars down there.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:50 PM   #79
donpablo
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by M16 View Post

I think this may be him:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/rel...?req=20221005a
Old 10-05-2022, 04:57 PM   #80
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

There’s going to be a Whole lot of ground shrinkage and a lot of dead feral cats.
Bucknaked is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2022, 09:45 PM   #81
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
How much public land is in Texas? How many NF and state biologists do we have per game unit? How many of those states wildlife management decisions are made via general population ballot biology.

TX has the correct ML management plan in play, it’s called land owner tolerance or not.

Last edited by Texans42; 10-05-2022 at 09:57 PM.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2022, 09:50 PM   #82
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big pig View Post
Where do you hunt?
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top