• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220904-190613_Gallery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	24691971
    I've actually started to try and make something similar myself. I'm by no means a welder so I'm doing lots of guess work and just winging it.

Comment

Feeders look good. But I’ve never seen anyone weld over carpet before.

Comment

^^
        I asked about moving the carpet...my buddy didn't seem to care and we didn't catch anything on fire...

(I know...not the safest thing!)

Comment

Sweet builds. You will enjoy those for a long time.

Comment

Using old bed frames is genius. People practically give those away nowadays. Thanks for some inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
              Sweet builds. You will enjoy those for a long time.
              Thanks!
              Originally posted by Bryan11 View Post
              Using old bed frames is genius. People practically give those away nowadays. Thanks for some inspiration.
              My buddy found them at a thrift store and just made on offer on the whole lot!
              Had he pushed harder they might have just given them away! I mean who uses metal bed frames nowadays?

If we had it to do over again (and we had a larger budget), I'd go with regular mild steel angle iron. If you don't have to drill, then they're fine.

Comment

Surviving the Trash Panda Test...

My date/time on the camera are off, but this was the 1st week of running the new feeders. That little sucker spent almost 2 hrs trying to reach up into it but was never able to reach the spinner.

Comment

How much to build me one just like it but without the motors or motor housing? We've got a bunch of them sitting in the shed for some reason.

Comment

My buddy and I don’t have much time now to build any more. Still trying to finish everything before the season starts!

Comment

Originally posted by kmack View Post
                      My buddy and I don’t have much time now to build any more. Still trying to finish everything before the season starts!
                      I'm in no rush. Can do this btwn seasons if you want to make a little extra spending $ at some point.

Actually, if you want to draw up some plans and a materials list, I'd pay you for those. I know a few guys who can weld.

Comment

Edit: One great thing about these stands is they travel very easily. Take the barrels off, and the stands just stack on top of each other!
                        So the barrels are not welded on?

Comment

Originally posted by innergel View Post
                          I'm in no rush. Can do this btwn seasons if you want to make a little extra spending $ at some point.

Actually, if you want to draw up some plans and a materials list, I'd pay you for those. I know a few guys who can weld.
                          You might have to remind me sometime next year!
                          In the meantime (from memory), the top portion of the frame is 24"x24", the bottom base is 42"x42", the legs are 37" long, and the mid-cross bars are 28" and set approximately 12" down from the top frame. The 28" dimension works very well with the spacing of the openings on the 2"x4" horse panel.
                          Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                          So the barrels are not welded on?
                          No, they are just sitting on the frames. The angle iron is turned upwards so the barrel sits down in the frame. There is an option to drill holes into the upward facing angle leg, weld on a nut, and then use a bolt screwed thru the nut to hold onto the bottom lip of the barrel. That would hold it securely to the frame.
                          I used Texas Hunter Products barrel funnels in all 3 feeders because their funnel appeared shallower than anything else I could find.
                          And it seems to have paid off. We filled each feeder with exactly 350 lbs of corn!
                          Quick update with regard to the funnels. I installed the funnels using (3) pop-rivets to the inside of the barrels. Apparently, only 3 pop-rivets is not enough to support the funnel fully...

The funnel collapsed and twisted the spout off to one side allowing the corn to just spill out! I have since added 1/2" insulating foam board in multiple layers under the funnel for physical support. More pop-rivets may have worked also, but I didn't want to climb into the dusty barrel and drill anymore holes into it. So far, this has only happened on one feeder, the other two have been working fine. (crossing fingers...)

Comment

Interesting, can't tell you how many feeders I've built and never screwed or riveted any of the funnels. Never had that happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Matador View Post
                              Interesting, can't tell you how many feeders I've built and never screwed or riveted any of the funnels. Never had that happen!
                              Same here

Comment

Plastic funnel?
                                I use metal funnels and screws.
                                Squirrels got in our 2”x4” cage. I had to go back and put smaller wire over that.

I really like these type of feeders.

BP
                                Last edited by Big pig; 10-03-2022, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X