*2022 AK Caribou Hunt* DIY Archery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
    If Josh Bowmar did that shot y'all would be roasting him.
    Bomar would just move the bait pile closer then deny having it in the first place.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
      Bomar would just move the bait pile closer then deny having it in the first place.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice shot and caribou! We went in 2012 and saw 1 caribou all week! I really want to do it again some day.

Comment

Awesome hunt, congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations- y’all’s persistence has been impressive!

Comment

Day 7

We woke up today to go get the rest of my caribou. All we had left was a shoulder, straps and loins, heart, head and hide.It ended up being a little over 2 miles one way which surprised us both as we did not think it was that far. Goes to show how your distance judging in the tundra is way off compared to what a map says. Back at camp we got the meat hanging and covered as there was a storm blowing in. While back at camp we looked at the weather on our communicator and it showed a nice storm coming through and we would likely be in the tent for the next 3-4 days straight. We decided to pack it up and head back, as we will be back to do this again here in the near future.

Closing:

The plans for next time are already set in motion. Next time should be a much better experience as we will know exactly what to expect and what to bring/not bring, places to go/not go.

We learned a ton on this hunt as caribou are very strange creatures and unlike any other deer on the planet. From their behavior, the barren tundra they thrive in, to their huge hooves and soft dense hair. Hunting them is very different than any other deer because of their behavior and the environment they inhabit, which took some getting used to.

Hunting within proximity to a vehicle in Alaska was a new experience for me but none the less, it still isn’t going to give up anything easily. As tough as it was with a bow, I’m glad we made the decision to not even bring a rifle and be tempted. I’m proud we stuck it out with the bows and proud to say thats the way we will do it again.

After getting back we also learned that there was a hunter who went missing not too far from us while we were there. Alaska is a dangerous and wild place that can cost you your life and I am thankful we made the decision to get out of there before we had any chance of making a costly mistake. Say a little prayer for the man and his family to find closure as he has yet to be found over a month later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great write up….I thoroughly enjoyed it! Also, congrats on a heck of a bull with your bow. Next year can’t get here fast enough!

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                  That was one of the most unethical shots that I've seen on Youtube, and that's saying something.
                  STFU just because you can't make the shot, a lot of others can.

Comment

Too freaking cool!! Congrats and thanks for sharing the adventures!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tgridley View Post
                      STFU just because you can't make the shot, a lot of others can.
                      65 yards at a moving animal is unethical I don't care how much you practice or how good you think you are.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                        65 yards at a moving animal is unethical I don't care how much you practice or how good you think you are.
                        Were you there? I don’t remember seeing you out there on the tundra. If you were, you’d know the only reason I took the shot was because the caribou stopped. I know my shooting abilities and not going to just send an arrow to send an arrow. I don’t know why I’m even responding as I don’t owe you or anyone an explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                          Were you there? I don’t remember seeing you out there on the tundra. If you were, you’d know the only reason I took the shot was because the caribou stopped. I know my shooting abilities and not going to just send an arrow to send an arrow. I don’t know why I’m even responding as I don’t owe you or anyone an explanation.
                          "I tried to make a little hail mary shot"

Direct quote from your video.

If it stopped and you shot good for you, but if you re read my post it says 65 yards at a moving animal is unethical. I put moving animal in there for a reason. There is no way to tell it stopped in your video.

Comment

Some people's kids. Once again not surprised by the author1[emoji849]

Congrats Diamond

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Well done hanging on for a better bull. Congrats.

Comment

Fantastic write up. THIS IS HUNTING! Awesome effort man. Gotta respect DIY

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X