No announcement yet.

New lure design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a few problems in the resin casting process so for. A resin lure will sink like a rock without micro balloons ( a filler for buoyancy). When I add the micro balloons I bought off Amazon my lure comes out with a very uneven surface, small voids like air pockets. If I cast it straight resin it comes out great. I've ordered another brand of micro balloons to see if it helps. The good news is the resin lures I've cast so far have the same action as the original wood lure. Long story short, I'm getting there.

Comment

I have never thought about using legos for this. I have a metric ton of them from the kiddo days.....

Comment

I got the first resin lure cleaned up, weighted and sanded. I started the base coats tonight. I started with white then pearl for the base. I put yellow, blue and purple down the sides. Most of this will be covered when it's done, it will show up as highlights sorta. Then I dipped it in water base polyacrylic which will add depth to the paint job. Later I'll start doing the top colors and details. Then I'll probably lose it on an oyster reef lol.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by kevin nicholls; 08-25-2022, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Comment

You Sir, have skill!

Comment

Nice work Kevin. Like others, I'm ready to see that thing hanging from a fishes mouth.

What are you gonna call it?

Comment

Thanks fellas. But before I get the big head from all this high praise I have to say, I had a great paint job going and I screwed it all up. I wanted to take it with me this weekend, I'm going to hit some back lakes. I repainted it white and I'll be starting over Monday. I did finish a fast project today though.
                Attached Files

Comment

This is a balsa wood 1/4 ounce crankbait I carved up and painted today. It has a through wire for the hooks and an internal rattle. Balsa wood is sure easy to carve, I'm sure a red will destroy it but I'll just make another.
                  Last edited by kevin nicholls; 08-26-2022, 08:03 PM.

Comment

I got the paint done this evening. I went with a simpler pattern, just like the crankbait. I'm happy with it so far. Next picture will be with a fish.
                    Attached Files

Comment

The other side.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well hopefully the next picture will have a fish in it. It turned out pretty good, it was sure a lot to figure out to get it from wood to resin. Not sure why the resin one looks bigger, it's the same size.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                          Well hopefully the next picture will have a fish in it. It turned out pretty good, it was sure a lot to figure out to get it from wood to resin. Not sure why the resin one looks bigger, it's the same size.

Same reason deer look large with hunter in background?

Looking good brother!

Comment

Well I tried a couple things this evening. First I used the Alumalite micro balloons and the worked great, the finish is ready for paint right out of the mold. Second I made a soft plastic version. This is a clear proto type so I can check the sink rate and attitude in the water. I'll see what I can do with this type. I put foil on the wire harness to see if it would add a little flash.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thats awesome Kevin. Did you inject basic plasticizer into that soft plastic version? You can also consider using thermoplastic polyurethane it will give your lure a very slow sink rate and a lot more surface rigidity for texturizing and tear resistance.

Comment

I used Dead On medium blend and just poured it in. I'm going to play around with it some by adding hardener and maybe trying to laminate it. The soft plastic version is the heaviest of the three different materials (wood, resin and plastic). Not sure how much I'll mess with the plastic one, unless it catches fish.
                                Next project will be recreating the Producers Ghost top water

Comment

Working...
                                X