No announcement yet.

Does this year??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No reason at all to take less deer because of the drought, counterintuitive and doesn't really make sense. The whole point of taking does is to even the sex ratio (which drought doesn't affect) and reduce competition for available forage. The effects of competition become even worse during periods of nutritional stress, like drought. So no reason to take less, it just makes matters worse. If anything, take more. But, the actual number to take should be dictated by survey numbers (not just a guess) combined with goals for the property.

Comment

I think it’s gonna be specific to where your property is and how much native browse (and cover) you have. What is your recruitment rate ? As Top Of Texas said, it’s site specific. Five of us on a 350 acre lease that is mostly managed for timber had hardly any does until the owners started some TSI a few years ago. They select cut pine timber and a little hardwood three different times in the last five years. Each time they cut and opened up the canopy the result was more deer browse. Add to that, when I joined the lease we immediately sought out places to plant. This was limited to openings that were already there so most plots are limited in size. We plant several though, so it still gives them quite a bit more to eat. My buddy and I have never killed a doe on this place but I think we could if we wanted to with no ill effects now. None of us need to kill more than one deer each and most years only two to three deer are taken in all, sometimes only one. I don’t shoot a buck unless he’s 3.5 or older and I also hunt at home, so not a lot of pressure. I usually kill a buck there one year, then on my place the next. Not planned, just the way it has worked out. We definitely have more does on camera, and thus more bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
        My plan for my exemption was to shoot does this year and no bucks. Will check with the TP &W biologist and see what he recommends this year

I'm not too far from you....after surveys, our recruitment is way down, but we still got a buck to doe ratio that will require lots of slickheads being removed.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
          Maybe 1 or 2. Our deer have a rough time with all the yotes around us. This year all the surrounding ranches are pretty bare for cover with the drought. We have alot of cover with no cows ,but dang yotes are always roaming.
          This our major problem, way too many coyotes.
          I had a trapper come in my ranch in Leon county, the first year he caught 6, it made a big difference.
          We have lots of bobcat too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
            ...after surveys, our recruitment is way down, but we still got a buck to doe ratio that will require lots of slickheads being removed.
            Low or high fence?

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
              No reason at all to take less deer because of the drought, counterintuitive and doesn't really make sense. The whole point of taking does is to even the sex ratio (which drought doesn't affect) and reduce competition for available forage. The effects of competition become even worse during periods of nutritional stress, like drought. So no reason to take less, it just makes matters worse. If anything, take more. But, the actual number to take should be dictated by survey numbers (not just a guess) combined with goals for the property.
              We have lost 6 deer (4 adults and two fawns I have found) already before the neighbors start shooting. Probably normal numbers.
              Surviving Fawns numbers are probably less than half.

Comment

G

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                Hunt as you normally would. Deer are overpopulated in most areas in Texas. Get the numbers down and they will benefit in the future.
                This exactly.. We plan on hitting the doe pretty hard this year. More than usual.
                The Bucks will catch a break. Not that we ever kill many as it is.

Comment

Working...
                X