Arizona Late Season OTC Archery Mule Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaving Christmas night for Arizona for two weeks. Putting the stickbow down and taking the compound to better my chances. Going to either unit 28 or 32. Anyone done this hunt before? Any tips or must have items? Obviously I’ll be bringing heavy arrows but anything else that could help or any input would be greatly appreciated. Not dead set on these units, they’re just the ones I’ve researched the most.

I think 28 usually has a higher success rate. Consider using OnX if you don't already. You hiking/camping or driving in each day?

Comment

Originally posted by SharpStix View Post
      I think 28 usually has a higher success rate. Consider using OnX if you don't already. You hiking/camping or driving in each day?
      Been researching on Gohunt and OnX a whole lot. Got the equipment to do both probably drive and scout for a couple day and then decide where to camp. Plan on sleeping in the bed of my truck if not hiking in and setting up a tent.

Comment

Get ready for cold weather. We have gone around the 1st week of January and always had snow at some point during the trip. See lots of locals driving around hunting and drinking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

This hunt is on my to do list. I'd love to hear how it goes for you. Don't have any suggestions.

Comment

I'm headed to AZ tonight for the late season elk and going to jump ship on Thursday to hunt deer/Javi's. I'm not going to spend to much time deer hunting but, the rut is starting to kick off there. Good Luck to ya. I'll send you anything I find out when I get back.

Comment

I have done this hunt twice although in unit 27. Both unsuccessful and both a lot of fun. Not unsuccessful for lack of finding dear though, mainly lack of stalking skills. My suggestion is to get away from the nearest highway really away from any road at all. Once we got 2.5 to 3 miles in we never saw another person in multiple spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am heading to AZ in Jan. For an OTC Mule deer hunt. We are taking a week off to see what we can find. Not sure where we will start or finish at this point.

Good luck. Sorry I have nothing as far as help to offer as this will be our first trip.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Done this hunt multiple times but not in your units, I’d say a shovel and a tow strap if it’s wet and mushy. We are headed there New Year’s Day for 8 or 9 days and planning on getting back in there a bit.

Comment

No utv and stock tires on the truck, so it's going to be a lot of hiking for us.

Comment

Originally posted by cpatterson View Post
                      I have done this hunt twice although in unit 27. Both unsuccessful and both a lot of fun. Not unsuccessful for lack of finding dear though, mainly lack of stalking skills. My suggestion is to get away from the nearest highway really away from any road at all. Once we got 2.5 to 3 miles in we never saw another person in multiple spots.

About what area in 27 did you hunt. I have been studying the entire length on Juan Miller Rd, I just feel like everyone else will be researching the same area. Hell, even while looking at the area on Onx I found 2 trucks way back in there. Just trying to decide if I should start looking elsewhere. I am planning this trip a year out, just to attempt to have everything lined out as properly as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredmartin View Post
                        About what area in 27 did you hunt. I have been studying the entire length on Juan Miller Rd, I just feel like everyone else will be researching the same area. Hell, even while looking at the area on Onx I found 2 trucks way back in there. Just trying to decide if I should start looking elsewhere. I am planning this trip a year out, just to attempt to have everything lined out as properly as I can.

I’ll shoot you a PM

Comment

So if we are planning on hunting January 2021, when do we buy a license and tag? Sorry if this is answered elsewhere. I am really thinking about taking a week off next January and doing this hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasHunter.280 View Post
                            So if we are planning on hunting January 2021, when do we buy a license and tag? Sorry if this is answered elsewhere. I am really thinking about taking a week off next January and doing this hunt.
                            In january when you grt therw. Tag is good for a year

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

How much do the tags cost? What other permits are required? Where can I find more details out about this. Thanks in advance and I wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                              X