9mm pistol barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9mm pistol barrels

Son is looking for a 9mm pistol. I have a Springfield Armory 9 and he likes it. Went and looked at some the other day but could only find them with 3" barrels on them. Mine is slightly over 4". I've always been leery of shorter barrels in pistols but really not sure, is there a great difference in accuracy between the two of these lengths?

thx

Accuracy no. Shoot ability maybe due to sight radius. Probably not enough to notice.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      Accuracy no. Shoot ability maybe due to sight radius. Probably not enough to notice.
      This. You will also pick up some velocity with a longer barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
        This. You will also pick up some velocity with a longer barrel.
        Not enough to be noticeable between a 3" and 4".

Comment

Originally posted by Rakkasan2187 View Post
          Not enough to be noticeable between a 3" and 4".

Yeah... only like an extra 50-100 foot per second *rolls eyes*

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
            Son is looking for a 9mm pistol. I have a Springfield Armory 9 and he likes it. Went and looked at some the other day but could only find them with 3" barrels on them. Mine is slightly over 4". I've always been leery of shorter barrels in pistols but really not sure, is there a great difference in accuracy between the two of these lengths?

thx
            I have been a firearms instructor at our regional police academy since 1993. I went to the FBI firearms instructor course. I have carried a few different pistols and and revolvers on/off duty and have shot many more... all of which means my opinion is just like everyone else, just one person’s opinion.

But.. this is my take after qualifying and practicing gunfighting for the last 36 years.

If shooting for combat/self defense type shooting, there is almost no difference in the accuracy. We sometimes take .380 pistols and shoot 8” plates from 50 yards from prone position. The small guns are accurate enough for that size target at 50 yards.

What I have found over the years is that in qualifying and shooting training/combat courses, the shorter barrel is in effect more accurate. I shoot my M&P 9mm compact faster and with a better group than my full size M&P. I have had other instructors that carry Glocks and claim not to like S&W pistols, love to shoot my baby M&P and are very accurate with it. It tends to be the same with the baby Glocks.

This is my conclusion after hundreds of days at the range, too many thousands of rounds fire to estimate and shooting lots of qualifying and combat courses.... the shorter sight radius makes it easier to pick up the front sight when shooting fast. That is why I say “in effect” it is more accurate. I know that it isn’t really and if you have time to take a slow, well placed shot (particularly with a rest), the longer the barrel/Sight radius will almost certainly be more accurate and the longer the range, maybe quite a bit so.

When we qualify each year we have a duty course and an easier off duty/backup pistol courses. I shoot my off duty baby M&P on the full duty course and usually score a point or two higher while shooting faster.

It is my opinion that if doing such shooting, the slightly shorter barrel will not hurt most people and may actually be better for some.

Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
              I have been a firearms instructor at our regional police academy since 1993. I went to the FBI firearms instructor course. I have carried a few different pistols and and revolvers on/off duty and have shot many more... all of which means my opinion is just like everyone else, just one person’s opinion.

But.. this is my take after qualifying and practicing gunfighting for the last 36 years.

If shooting for combat/self defense type shooting, there is almost no difference in the accuracy. We sometimes take .380 pistols and shoot 8” plates from 50 yards from prone position. The small guns are accurate enough for that size target at 50 yards.

What I have found over the years is that in qualifying and shooting training/combat courses, the shorter barrel is in effect more accurate. I shoot my M&P 9mm compact faster and with a better group than my full size M&P. I have had other instructors that carry Glocks and claim not to like S&W pistols, love to shoot my baby M&P and are very accurate with it. It tends to be the same with the baby Glocks.

This is my conclusion after hundreds of days at the range, too many thousands of rounds fire to estimate and shooting lots of qualifying and combat courses.... the shorter sight radius makes it easier to pick up the front sight when shooting fast. That is why I say “in effect” it is more accurate. I know that it isn’t really and if you have time to take a slow, well placed shot (particularly with a rest), the longer the barrel/Sight radius will almost certainly be more accurate and the longer the range, maybe quite a bit so.

When we qualify each year we have a duty course and an easier off duty/backup pistol courses. I shoot my off duty baby M&P on the full duty course and usually score a point or two higher while shooting faster.

It is my opinion that if doing such shooting, the slightly shorter barrel will not hurt most people and may actually be better for some.

Your mileage may vary.
              thank you

Comment

Working...
              X