School me on muzzleloaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on muzzleloaders

Wife and I were drawn for a TPWD hunt and its muzzleloader only. When I selected hunts I didnt realize that muzzleloaders are mixed in with gun hunts. All good because I'm always up for trying something new. So, I'm looking to buy a muzzleloader but I know nothing about them. Brands, etc. I know i want in line and will be using pellets and 209 primers. Other than that, I'm learning something new. Really looking for recommendations on gun.

I appreciate the help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I've shot all kinds. An inline with 100 grains of powder and a bullet will put down any deer. I prefer peep sights and keep my shots inside 100 yards with bullets. I limit myself to 50 yards with round balls.

I've got a 50 caliber Traditions inline that I would sell for cheap too.

Comment

Lots of good muzzle loaders out there I would buy a kit if just getting started. Used guns can be found but be careful of rust in the barrel and also make sure it n an in-line you can still get a breech plug. TC makes a really nice kit that can be had pretty cheap I have always had good luck with TC muzzle loaders

Comment

First decide what you want.

Something traditional or about as close to a modern rifle as you can get.

I've hunted with them for years, but really only to extend my deer hunting time.

As soon as my state made smokeless powder legal, I bought a Savage. I would not go back to shooting one of the black powder substitutes (which have ingredients added to make smoke btw).

Having to clean the gun even after shooting it just once pretty much sucks.

Example: Shoot deer at last light. Trailing doesn't go well. Find it, but now it is late. Good news is you have a deer to deal with. Bad news is it is too warm to let it hang plus when you get done with all of that, you have a gun to clean. And you want to hunt the next morning.

Some ridicule the use of (real) smokeless powder in a muzzleloader. But it is still a muzzleloader - load from the muzzle and make the shot count, the 2nd shot won't be quick. The black powder substitutes are very close now for energy/velocity. But with smokeless powder, You decide when you want to clean the gun.

Anyway, that Savage has become one of my favorite guns. Don't even know how many deer I've taken with it. Many close and a few around 200 yards.

Not quite sure if smokeless is legal in Texas, but don't see where it isn't.

Comment

Get a single shot MZ

All kidding aside, congrats.

They’re pretty simple to shoot, fun, offer a new method to hunt animals.
          As mentioned above there’s several choices, I like the in-lines with 209 primers & sabot bullets. Keep in mind that 100 grains of powder (loose or pellets) is plenty, no need for more.

Go to the range & practice, practice to build your confidence.

Tons of YouTube educational videos out there too

Comment

Muzzle loaders have come a long long way. Some are as modern as any bolt rifle such as the Savage and Remington models. I would stick with an inline made by one of the bigger brands such as T/C, CV, Traditions.

As mentioned the down side is that ML's use black powder or a substitute which leave a corrosive residue in the bore which needs to be cleaned out. With inlines cleaning the boreis a simple process when the breech plug is removed. There is a BP substitute called Blackhorn 209 which is pretty clean burning compared to the others such as Pyrodex and Tripple Seven but as far as I know it's a loose powder.

Like other firearms it might take some experimentation to get a load to shoot really well. You can try different powders, sabots and bullets.

Several years ago I found an open box CVA Accura V2 in Cabela's bargin cave for half price. Been shooting it with Blackhorn 209 and Hornady .44 cal or .45 cal pistol bullets with a sabot with great results on paper and game. Out to 200yds it's as deadly as any other rifle I own for deer and hogs.

Not a very good pic but this is the muzzle blast from it shooting a hog last year.

Comment

Get you a TC Impact. Super accurate, great trigger, very affordable. Only downside is there not very weather resistant(blueing job isn't the greatest), but it's no big deal, just take care to keep the barrel oiled after use and you should be good.
              Browse our Product 61459 on BudsGunShop.com. Use our advanced product search tools to find exactly what you are looking for!

Comment

Oh yeah and make sure you break it down and clean it thoroughly after every use, or that sucker will rust up on you. That's with any muzzleloader.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                  Get you a TC Impact. Super accurate, great trigger, very affordable. Only downside is there not very weather resistant(blueing job isn't the greatest), but it's no big deal, just take care to keep the barrel oiled after use and you should be good.
                  https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...22+blued/black
                  This.....I've got an impact and with 2 pellets and SST's it'll shoot a 1" group all day long at 100 yds.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                    This.....I've got an impact and with 2 pellets and SST's it'll shoot a 1" group all day long at 100 yds.
                    What pellets?

Comment

I bought a CV V2 at Cabelas last year for $275. It came with a Konus 3-9x40 scope. Bore sighted it and took it to the range. Shot under 1" 5 shot groups with Hornady SST's and 150 grains of White Hots. Took it to Nebraska in December and killed my personal best (the one in my avatar 166") whitetail with it at 160 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by crash8005 View Post
                        What pellets?

Last edited by Lone_Wolf; 09-18-2019, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Imagine the amount of time and precision that is devoted to hand loading center fire ammunition

Now think about the same concept in muzzleloaders

Pellets may not be the hottest propellant

But pellets are the simplest and consistent option for powder propellants

Also muzzleloaders are dirty firing guns

Clean often

Believe it or not windex window clean spray works great

Consider sabot bullets they are expensive but worth it from accuracy standards

And carry a pocket range finder
                          The difference between a 100 and 150 yard shot is important

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Can't go wrong with triple 7 and power belts, never tried the SST's but heard good things. Two pellet's are plenty for whitetail. If you're shooting far you might want to give 3 a try.

Comment

Check the classifieds here, there was one for sale in our Classifieds last week.

Comment

Working...
                              X