Will Shaka survive???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Shaka survive???

I feel like Shaka’s seat was already hot. Was winning the Big12 tourney enough to save him after losing to lil ol ACU???

Ada Tech fan my obvious concern is UT trying to buy Coach Chris Beard

Originally posted by Playa View Post
    I feel like Shaka’s seat was already hot. Was winning the Big12 tourney enough to save him after losing to lil ol ACU???

Ada Tech fan my obvious concern is UT trying to buy Coach Chris Beard

You outta be worried about Indiana buying Beard.

Shaka counted on talent, size and athleticism winning that game. Meanwhile, the ASU coach had a perfect game plan that his team executed to perfection. They ate clock on the offensive end and played amazing man defense with quick “help” and “help the helper”. Every time ASU touched the ball, they didn’t even start running their offense until 8-10 left on shot clock...that led to poor shot selection which led to poor percentages. BUT....they were willing to trade points for time because they knew they had a great defense. Genius strategy and carried out perfectly. Shaka got flat out-coached.

But as my buddy Smart pointed out, UT basketball is Aggie Football. Always ready to disappoint. I think the Big12 tournament title will keep Shaka his job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

LOL, Beard ain’t going anywhere. The UT bball program has five star players and a 2 star culture. Beard would not tolerate that.

Tech has better facilities than IU or UT. Heck, UT is building a smaller arena...why is that?

UT is still paying their last 2 head football coaches...no way they money whip Beard. Besides, Tech will match any offers.

Comment

It’s been 10 years since he lucked into the Final Four. He has done nothing since. Nothing. Time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
          LOL, Beard ain’t going anywhere. The UT bball program has five star players and a 2 star culture. Beard would not tolerate that.

Tech has better facilities than IU or UT. Heck, UT is building a smaller arena...why is that?

So you think TT basketball is the ultimate college job? Better than a storied program like IU or the state flagship school, Texas? OK. LMAO!!!!!

Comment

You don't understand how basketball arenas work? Have you seen the inside of the Drum and how far the fans are away from the game?? Its big and the seat rows go waaaay back. The Drum was built for a lot more than basketball and shows it.....It's a multi-purpose facility. The new one will have the fans right up on the court like the other state of the art facilities. I was reading on it the other day and the number of seats is right in line with those same facilities. 10K capacity and expanding to 15K when needed.

That being said I doubt Tech's coach leaves his post for Texas....
            Last edited by Smart; 03-21-2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
              So you think TT basketball is the ultimate college job? Better than a storied program like IU or the state flagship school, Texas? OK. LMAO!!!!!

I did chuckle at the Indiana downplay....

Comment

Agreed I doubt he goes to Indiana, though if he did go, I’d bet that’s the spot over UT. But he makes $4.5M/year in Lubbock, he’s universally loved there, not remotely the politics/pressure of a UT (even after the Elite 8 appearance followed by the OT loss in the championship game the following year). I think culture and overall environment there has him living like a king without a lot of the pressure of the blue blood/storied programs. (Think ol’ Billy Clyde leaving a sweet gig at A&M, cratering at KU then cratering harder on the attempted rebound after Knight at Tech, even with his glaring off-court addiction problems).

I can see Indiana being tempting given Beard spent so much time as an assistant under Bobby Knight (and Pat), but then I go back to his amazing gig at Tech, the lack of pressure (comparatively) and all the associated culture stuff and think it’s a hard thing to leave.

All that said, I was long time military and now an engineer, so what the heck do I know other than “The answer is money. What’s your question?” (Kidding...sort of)

Comment

Originally posted by Beerwinkle View Post
                  Agreed I doubt he goes to Indiana, though if he did go, I’d bet that’s the spot over UT. But he makes $4.5M/year in Lubbock, he’s universally loved there, not remotely the politics/pressure of a UT (even after the Elite 8 appearance followed by the OT loss in the championship game the following year). I think culture and overall environment there has him living like a king without a lot of the pressure of the blue blood/storied programs. (Think ol’ Billy Clyde leaving a sweet gig at A&M, cratering at KU then cratering harder on the attempted rebound after Knight at Tech, even with his glaring off-court addiction problems).

I can see Indiana being tempting given Beard spent so much time as an assistant under Bobby Knight (and Pat), but then I go back to his amazing gig at Tech, the lack of pressure (comparatively) and all the associated culture stuff and think it’s a hard thing to leave.

All that said, I was long time military and now an engineer, so what the heck do I know other than “The answer is money. What’s your question?” (Kidding...sort of)
                  Agreed. Beard is going nowhere, at least for the time being.

Comment

Keep Shaka!

Comment

Smart should have been fired last year.

The politics of today: fire a white football coach after winning 4 straight bowl games, yet keep a black basketball coach after not winning one single tournament game in 6 f'ing years. Total absurdity. Decisions in life should never be based upon race but upon results. Period. The USA has forgotten this little nugget.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post

IU...when was the last time they did anything? They are a has been from long ago. Why would Beard wanna go there and try to live up to Knight. At Tech, he’s not having to live up to anything...he’s creating his own legacy.

UT is the most entitlement minded and delusional University in the country. They recently overtook Ayunem as the school who does less with more. Facilities in Lubbock are way better. UT can’t money whip Beard...he’s staying in Lubbock.

No, I do not think Tech is the ultimate college basketball job. With Beard, it eventually may become that...because Beard did it. Again, Beard can create something at Tech...instead of chasing a Legacy.

Comment

It has been said all year on local radio and other platforms that his tournament success or lack thereof would determine his fate. Last night was embarrassing. I think he is done. They had said it was sweet 16 or bust. They didn't even get out of the first round as a 3 seed vs an instate low major.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

UT is the most entitlement minded and delusional University in the country. They recently overtook Ayunem as the school who does less with more. Facilities in Lubbock are way better.

Opinions are like....well you know the drill.

Comment

IU...when was the last time they did anything? They are a has been from long ago. Why would Beard wanna go there and try to live up to Knight. At Tech, he’s not having to live up to anything...he’s creating his own legacy.

UT is the most entitlement minded and delusional University in the country. They recently overtook Ayunem as the school who does less with more. Facilities in Lubbock are way better. UT can’t money whip Beard...he’s staying in Lubbock.

No, I do not think Tech is the ultimate college basketball job. With Beard, it eventually may become that...because Beard did it. Again, Beard can create something at Tech...instead of chasing a Legacy.

Hey man, maybe you’re right. Only time will tell.

IU hasn’t won in quite a bit, but they still have a few Natty banners flying high in Assembly Hall and they still are THE basketball school in a basketball crazed state where their HS gyms seat more than our colleges do. It’s a premier college job...TT is just not. TT isn’t even the best basketball job in a football state.

You might even be right about Beard building that in Lubbock. They had a couple of great seasons before Covid hit. He could pull off what Mark Few has done at Gonzaga...build a perennial contender and continue to turn down every job offered....But TT would still be in freaking Lubbock.[emoji23]

I just think Beard is too good a coach to stay in Lubbock. Maybe I’m wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X